Cps2emu Test Version 6 And Capex Beta 2 Released

thank you... every 'test' release is better and better... putting on my SD right now B)

For some reason the program crashes when exiting. It tells me that the emulator is exiting please wait and then just a black screen I have to turn the GP2X off and back on does this happen to anyone else?

just installed it and it is happening to me too :(

says "exit. please wait. done" and screen gets black :p

GP2X MK2 here with FW2.1.1 (normal SDL libs from gp2x file arch, no menu-selector, plain vanilla)

anyone knows something about the problem? thanks in advance.
I haven't actually gotten round to downloading the emulator yet so I could be wrong, but I'm assuming it's not crashing and just not being told to reload the gp2xmenu at exit. Try making a script to load it with the usual "exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu" at the end (or edit an exiting one from another game).

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't actually gotten round to downloading the emulator yet so I could be wrong, but I'm assuming it's not crashing and just not being told to reload the gp2xmenu at exit. Try making a script to load it with the usual "exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu" at the end (or edit an exiting one from another game).
The emulator will by default try to run gp2xmenu at exit or if running from the 'selector', this is included in the script already - so this is not the issue.
Surely, user's who are crashing must have something different with their GP2X - something else that is installed?

I have nothing else installed on my GP2x, no Libs what-so-ever. Every game I try runs fine; the most common problem seems to be either incompatible cache file or missing cache file. Version 6 requires new cache files to be built.

Wow, great work on the emulator and frontend guys! I tried it out tonight for the first time and am highly impressed!

I'd love it if button remapping for games was available. It would be highly useful for 6 button games.

Yeah! Progear is back! :lol: Nice hmmm... frontend! :blink:
This is one great emu! This emu completes a list of everything that I used to emulate on my desktop, I now can do on my GP2X. Amazing. :D

Ok, I downloaded both of these releases and the emulator works pretty good. I only have a few requests.

for cps2emu:
1. Configurable controls, preferably saveable on a per-game basis. The controls for AvP, for example, seemed a little awkward. Not a big deal, but it would be nice. :)

for capex:
1. A more thorough readme. Does cps2emu need to be in the root directory for this to work, or maybe a specific directory? Is there a way to get it to point to the directory I have it placed in? All I got was a black screen when I tried this so I'm guessing the problem is where I have my cps2emu files. Or maybe I just didn't wait long enough.
2. If capex requires that cps2emu and its files be placed in the root directory, can you make it so that the location can be configured by the user? I don't want the cps2emu's multiple files and directories cluttering up the root of the card, so if you could allow this to be configured it would be appreciated.

Long post warning (sorry!)

However, my big problem remains: the main program, the emulator, doesn't work at all. Always exits with a segmentation fault (after "Game Start" appears on the bottom left corner). The last messages on the gmenu2x's log are:

Execute ./cps2emu --sound --semplerate=22050 --sw-rescale ./roms/sfa3.zip
New CPU Speed: 250 [note that my GP2x runs fine at up to 267 MHz]
Using /lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel/drivers/input/joydev.o
insmod: unresolved symbol input_close_device
insmod: unresolved symbol input_register_minor
insmod: unresolved symbol input_unregister_minor
insmod: unresolved symbol input_open_device
insmod: unresolved symbol input_register_handle
insmod: unresolved symbol input_unregister_handle
Segmentation Fault

If I run "cps2emu --help" from sterm, it segfaults right there. I don't know of a gdb-like debugger running on the gp2x, so I can't offer much more. Is there anything completely obvious that I may be missing?

I get the following when I run a game.
As you can see I get similar errors, but the game does start.

The interesting point is the '0 USB Joystick found.', do you have any sort of USB device plugged in?
At the point the code is trying to open USB joystick devices.

Code:
[root@gp2x cps2emu_v6]$./cps2emu --sound --samplerate=11025 --hwho-rescale ./roms/ddtod.zip
Using /lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel/drivers/input/joydev.o
insmod: unresolved symbol input_close_device
insmod: unresolved symbol input_register_minor
insmod: unresolved symbol input_unregister_minor
insmod: unresolved symbol input_open_device
insmod: unresolved symbol input_register_handler
insmod: unresolved symbol input_unregister_handler
0 USB Joystick found.
Launch dir is '/mnt/sd/cps2emu_v6/'.
Sound: Enable
Samplerate: 11025 Hz
Rescale: Hardware(horizontal only)
Line Scroll: On
Frameskip: Auto
M68000 main core clock: 100 %
Z80 sound core clock: 100 %
Upper memory full use only cache data.
Checking ROM info...
ROM set "ddtod".
Cache file "ddtod.cache".
Loading cache information data...
12288KB cache allocated.
Loading cache data...
Fill cache data... 0%
Fill cache data... 10%
Fill cache data... 20%
Fill cache data... 31%
Fill cache data... 41%
Fill cache data... 52%
Fill cache data... 62%
Fill cache data... 72%
Fill cache data... 83%
Fill cache data... 93%
Fill cache data... Complete
Cache setup complete.
Loading "dade.03c"
Loading "dade.04c"
Loading "dade.05c"
Loading "dade.06a"
Loading "dade.07a"
Loading "dadex.03c"
Loading "dadex.04c"
Loading "dadex.05c"
Loading "dad.01"
Loading "dad.11m"
Loading "dad.12m"
Done.
Sound device initialized...
Max players: 4
Volume: 50

The emulator will by default try to run gp2xmenu at exit or if running from the 'selector', this is included in the script already - so this is not the issue.
Surely, user's who are crashing must have something different with their GP2X - something else that is installed?

I have nothing else installed on my GP2x, no Libs what-so-ever. Every game I try runs fine; the most common problem seems to be either incompatible cache file or missing cache file. Version 6 requires new cache files to be built.

I have nothing else installed on my GP2x either and it still hangs on the black screen when I exit.

I haven't looked at the code, but it might be a CPU endian issue? Do you have a PowerPC or Intel Mac? I'm guessing it's a PowerPC.

Yes, that's a PPC. You probably nailed it: opening both files on Emacs give, for the first few bytes (before a long sequence of \377s):

CPS2XC0^@ H^C^@^Q\242+^@^@^@~^@ (from the Windows/x86 cache)
CPS2XC0^@^@^CH ^@+\242^Q^@~^@^@ (from the OSX/ppc cache)

Switched at each four bytes, after the header. PPC (not PPC64) is bi-endian though: it should be possible to change the endianness of the CPU by software as a quick hack.

The interesting point is the '0 USB Joystick found.', do you have any sort of USB device plugged in?
At the point the code is trying to open USB joystick devices.

No, I have no joysticks. (Part of) the problem was with the cache files; however, it still segfaults with
Code:
cps2emu --help

Couldn't the cache be eliminated if you use the extra RAM in the GP2X?

Is here an Expert who can explain, what this "Line Scroll Mode" do? Where do I need this and where not?

And which Game Settings for each game do you prefer?

The emu works great!! It's great to have some of my favorite fighters on the 2x. Tv-out and usb joystick support sound good too, so I could actually have fighting game gatherings (and tournaments!) from the 2x now. I don't know the difference between HW ans SW scaling modes, but HW, the only one I've tried, looks good for fighters (and purists can still use tv out). Amazing work sir!

Just a couple minor issues I've noticed so far:
-pause button
-emu randomly crashes occasionally (have seen this on Super Turbo and Alpha 3)
-blank screen on exit; will not load menu
I'm running 2.1.0 firmware

Thanks again. Now to try the frontend. SRK is going to flip over this...

Edit: I need to try version 7 now!

CPS2EMU and CAPEX are freaking unbelievable. Just look at what we have been given in less than a month. That being said.....

I guess I'll add to the list of suggestions/requests:

CPS2EMU:
-Pause button is needed. I really like GnGeo's pause screen where you can save and load states. I think that would be perfect.
-Button assignment option is needed, both for GP2X controls and for USB Joysticks. It would be great if this could be on a per-game basis. I really want to change the controls for the Street Fighters
-When I use TV-Out, it looks wonderful. The only problem I have is on the right side of the screen there is a thin vertical strip that is clearly taken from the left side. It's like the image is overlapping and should be more centered to the right (this is abstract, not the solution)

CAPEX:
-It would be great to have global settings, as well as settings for individual games. The VS games need maximum over clock for good sound and 100% smooth gameplay, but most other games do not.

I just hope JyCet can keep up with ell's fast release schedule and keep updating those command line options!

GREAT WORK ELL AND JYCET!

awesome, just played a long game of 19XX and arm warrior.

Is it possible however to make save/loading states possible without using the push button? I try not to use it too much... (like in a pausescreen as John said)

CAPEX:
-It would be great to have global settings, as well as settings for individual games. The VS games need maximum over clock for good sound and 100% smooth gameplay, but most other games do not.
Yupp. I think this will come in next releases. I hope also for implementation of the new Emulator-Options like this mysterious line-scroll stuff and the Screen-position option for the non-scaled mode. (not testet by me but the readme says, it's included )
I wonder why CAPEX don't know, that my romsets include all "clone roms" ("green") I "only" have "blue" ones displeyed. No Problem but I have renamed "MVSC" to "MVSCU" because of the region (with merged romsets you can easy change Game-region by renaming) - works fine without Capex but capex only shows that "orange".

But I think CAPEX is on the right way. :) And the Emulator itself is really great. ^^

Is here an Expert who can explain, what this "Line Scroll Mode" do? Where do I need this and where not?

And which Game Settings for each game do you prefer?
Line scroll is used (for example) in the Street Fighter games, typically for the surface they are fighting on, giving a nice depth effect. Normally scrolling is only done for the entire layer.

Wow v7 already! Thanks Ell!

I finally got around to giving this a go, and wow! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been waiting to play Aliens Vs. Predator on this thing since I got it, and it's glorious!!! And there are so many other great CPS2 games! Maybe I'll get around to beating the D&D games. This is great, just great!

Back