DBP repository

sebt3

homebrew player (P. & C.)
Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
This is the user talk thread. For serious devtalk, use the dedicated thread.

Since slaeshjag introduced his work on the dbp system, there havent been any repository set. This is it.
[Link]
As you can see there's no DBP uploaded yet. I'm guessing this is expected since none have been publicly released yet. (ho and the database is fresh from an hour ago too :D)

For DBP maintainers :
  • I'm only checking the field in the desktop files I need, nothing else (and even there, I'm not using a validation scheme, so it's very basic). So no pain here
  • No new fields in the desktop files required for the repo
  • No screenshot to add in the package or anything
  • Everything else is configurable in the repo once the dbp file is uploaded.

Features :
  • Single-Sign-On with the forum (so you wont have to create yet an other account somewhere, and you'll be able to trust the uploader since his identity is preserved from here)
  • A simple comment system (more or less like the pandora repo's system)
  • A focus on apps instead of packages files
  • Anyone can upload screenshots
  • Open-source, so anyone can contribute
Missing features :
Everything else. This is the very early days of the repo. Only the minimum features are there.

Planned :

• Display download count (already stored though)
  • Search/filter/order by download count
  • Some candy features for maintainers
  • Redo these lists
  • Your idea here... well if I like it, or if you code it :p
Known issue : It does depend on javascript for practically everything. If you dont like this, the framework would clearly allow for no-javascript, so I'm waiting for your patch request, not your whining...

Last edited:
nice :)
I think i will play around with your code, if i got time tomorrow. Also if you need a German translation i can probably help.

Will this hosts also other types of file ? like the handhelds archive did ?

Maybe as attachments to a DBP entry ? I'm thinking about PDFs or additional contents for the package itself but not included in it by default, etc...

nice :)
I think i will play around with your code, if i got time tomorrow. Also if you need a German translation i can probably help.
Ok i'll probably need to work more on the translations system then :p

Not planned.

Maybe as attachments to a DBP entry ? I'm thinking about PDFs or additional contents for the package itself but not included in it by default, etc...
That something that already crossed my mind, but so far I fail to see any valid usage. engine-enabled games will go in a dbp file depending on the engine dbp. extention and such too. Yet your PDF idea will probably make me think again.

Oooh shiny and new. As its the user thread, stupid questions allowed?
That's pretty much the point of the thread :D
[doublepost=1494449683,1494449166][/doublepost]Beside I forgot to add for maintainers :
  • I'm only checking the field in the desktop files I need, nothing else (and even there, I'm not using a validation scheme, so it's very basic). So no pain here
  • No new fields in the desktop files required for the repo
  • No screenshot to add in the package or anything
  • Everything else is configurable in the repo once the dbp file is uploaded.

I note this seems to require local javascript for everything. But since it doesn't want to include any third party libraries, I guess that's kind of okay for me.

Also, having enabled javascript, I don't seem to be able to logon (or it isn't detecting my logon cookie from here, dunno). Clicking on 'guest' it opens a small blank white bow below it, or closes it if already present.

Edit: I guess that last paragraph was already noted by ED above...

Last edited:
This is the user talk thread. For serious devtalk, use the dedicated thread.
Since this is the user talk thread, and stupid questions are allowed, I feel moderately safe in asking what's a DBP?

To those steeped in Pandora lore, this is probably something as common as breathing, but to those of us who are new in these parts, DBPs are a bit of a mystery. They are some sort of software package that runs on a Pandora?

Questions that come to mind (other than "what are they?") are 1) are they free (as in freedom) software? and 2) for the Pyra would they not be better as .deb files?

@Pyramancer , a DBP is a special type of software package that can simply be left on an SD card, and run from there. So it doesn't need to take up any space on the onboard storage.

@Pyramancer : DBPs are mostly the same as PNDs, but for the Pyra

...with "mostly the same" I mean that are containers for applications, so with just one file you can have a completely working program, anyway them will not run on the Pandora (as PNDs will not run on the Pyra)

DBP = DragonBox Pyra
PND = PaNDora
[doublepost=1494462929,1494461862][/doublepost]
That something that already crossed my mind, but so far I fail to see any valid usage. engine-enabled games will go in a dbp file depending on the engine dbp. extention and such too. Yet your PDF idea will probably make me think again.

For example have a look at this page http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,23

there are backgrounds and screensavers, and I think it could be cool to have them all in one repo... maybe also firmwares ?

Yes, those files can also be put on the forum, but mainly will be lost in a sea of threads after some time
[doublepost=1494463737][/doublepost]With Opera 12 I'm automatically logged in, but the "Browse" button for the upload does nothing...
With Firefox and Vivaldi I'm always guest and don't know how to login (I checked cookies, javascript and all, logged first to the forum, but always guest)

EDIT: I can login from Vivaldi only if clicking directly the link in this page, it doesn't work if I open it in another tab... with Firefox I'm still not able to login
also the "browse" button doesn't work in Vivaldi too

Last edited:
hmmm... kinda fun exercise in getting the site running under wsl then back figuring a rudimentary DBP ;)

You can upload files to the Resources section of this site.

Clicking on the DBP Repo logo should get you back to the repo home, not to the Pyra website
Same for 'Home'
These were fixed yesterday... I just forgot to push them... done now

When you manually go to http://pyra-handheld.com/repo/ , you see the repo as guest and can't login :)
With Firefox and Vivaldi I'm always guest and don't know how to login (I checked cookies, javascript and all, logged first to the forum, but always guest)
EDIT: I can login from Vivaldi only if clicking directly the link in this page, it doesn't work if I open it in another tab... with Firefox I'm still not able to login
These logon failures are rather surprising for me. There's no javascript involved in this login procedure, so this is not the issue. I've no problem with my firefox( and 31 others seems to have succeded too). I guess i'll need dig into this...

Clicking on 'guest' it opens a small blank white bow below it, or closes it if already present.
This space is used to login/logout when the repo is actually not connected to the boards (any repo devel environement) I guess I should put link to the forum login page there.

With Opera 12 I'm automatically logged in, but the "Browse" button for the upload does nothing...
huh ? If you see the button then javascript is enabled. I guess I'll need to install opera.

Geez I though the browser distinction was gone by now. I was damn false it look :(

Last edited:
I note this seems to require local javascript for everything. But since it doesn't want to include any third party libraries, I guess that's kind of okay for me.

Also, having enabled javascript, I don't seem to be able to logon (or it isn't detecting my logon cookie from here, dunno). Clicking on 'guest' it opens a small blank white bow below it, or closes it if already present.

Edit: I guess that last paragraph was already noted by ED above...
The same here. I'm running Debian Jessie with Firefox ESR 45.9.0 (firefox-esr,45.9.0esr-1~deb8u1,amd64).

The same here. I'm running Debian Jessie with Firefox ESR 45.9.0 (firefox-esr,45.9.0esr-1~deb8u1,amd64).
there might be a mismatch between your forum session and your repo session. If you're connected on the forum at pyra-handheld.com/boards then you should be able to connect to the repo at pyra-handheld.com/repo. If you're connected on the forum at www.pyra-handheld.com/boards then you should be connected on the repo with the www.pyra-handheld.com/repo.
If you're connected on the boards at pyra-handheld.com and www.pyra-handheld.com then both repo url should work

Tried all the combinations with Firefox using links or just writing the url by hand, signing in and out different times, but still I'm always guest :(

@Silent-Hunter, @PowerGod: Thank you for the explanations.

On this web repository (I haven't got there yet because of the Javascript issues), can one filter DBPs by licence? That would be useful (unless they all have the same licence).

On this web repository (I haven't got there yet because of the Javascript issues), can one filter DBPs by licence?
Well there isn't much to see yet, there is one test application that someone pushed up. I'd push up the few DBPs I've made already (OpenTyrian and Streets of Rage Remake) but it seems I didn't have a Version field declared in the .desktop meta data. SoRR needs to be recompiled for Stretch anyway.

That would be useful (unless they all have the same licence).
Licenses would vary on application, the restrictions of the sources and perhaps the whim of the person that publishes it to the repo

Back