Delivery Timeline

Raz said:
Will the first batch leftovers differ in any way form the final product? In terms of hardware and the stuff used to make it?
No.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the TV Out cables were supposed to be a 3rd party bought-in thing, not a custom produced item?

cbp said:
400 piece batches?

I wonder how long time will pass between batches?
I am among the last to order as I always receive the emails a few days after all emails have been sent.

Assuming that one person can test 40 pandoras a day, it would take 2 weeks (10 days) for the first batch to be tested. I am at ~#3000. This means that I will have to wait roughly 15 weeks until they test mine.

You guys better be more than one person testing it, cause 4 month wait from start of production to receive the Pandora sux.
I guess worst case scenario, I get it in July. Best case scenario, May. :(
Oh well, at least I have my JBed ipod touch for now.

keep cool man. in my job i routinely test ~200 computers a day once every few months. if you are not completely screwy in setting these kind of things up, it's a piece of cake compared to assembly. even not knowing any of the devs i can totally assure you that the time the test themselves will take are totally negligible.

cbp said:
Assuming that one person can test 40 pandoras a day, it would take 2 weeks (10 days) for the first batch to be tested. I am at ~#3000. This means that I will have to wait roughly 15 weeks until they test mine.

You guys better be more than one person testing it, cause 4 month wait from start of production to receive the Pandora sux.

So you're freaking out based on numbers that you just made up yourself? :lol: Awesome.

Gruso said:
cbp said:

So you're freaking out based on numbers that you just made up yourself? :lol: Awesome.

Theres no math like bad math!

PoisonedV said:
Gruso said:
cbp said:

Theres no math like bad math!

98% of statistics are made up on the spot :D

Gruso said:

I assumed 15 minutes per device.
And this is not that far fetched.
They have to do:
- Visual inspection to see if everything is in place
- Hardware inspection. Do all buttons work, is all fitting ok, are the batteries charging. Anything falling apart?
- OS/Software installation
- Software/Hardware testing, i.e. is the touch screen working.
- Packaging. (throw it in a box, print order label, check order, ...)
Of course, maybe the manufacturer will do all these in which case, I was just venting... Move along nothing to see. :)

Damn, can't wait to get the damn thing. lol.

Back in the Dark Ages, when I was in college, I got a job working for Brother Corp. in their US warehouse.
It was a part time job over the Christmas holiday in Piscataway, New Jersey.
Piscataway is an old Lene Lenape Indian word for "light industrial park".
This was when nothing sold in the US was made in China, and Japanese products were considered cheap plastic crap.
Brother, at that time, made mostly sewing machines and typewriters for the US market, at least.

Anyway---Relevant Part-----

They had produced and imported a pile of electric typewriters which were made with a defective plastic formulation in their keys. My job was to move pallets of boxes, remove the boxes from the pallets, and line up the boxes in long rows between the industrial shelving in the warehouse. We then had to open the boxes, which were shut with those long copper shipping staples, removing the staples with a special pair of pliers.
Next, we opened the flaps on the box, pulled out the typewriter, which was sandwiched between styrofoam molded shipping blocks, removed it from a clear plastic bag, put the bag and styrofoam in the box, and lay the typewriter across the open box with the keyboard facing the aisle.

This made an "assembly line" of typewriters which were ready to be repaired.
At this point, Japanese technicians rolled in on rolling office chairs and popped all the keys off the typewriter keyboards. They got real fast at this, as you could sort of plink the keys with your fingers in a certain way, and the keys would just pop off.

The technicians would then take a bags of keys, pop it open, and from memory put the new keys in place on the keyboards. The technicians who did one side of the aisle, would switch sides and drag a long extension cord to power up each unit, insert a test page of paper into each typewriter and type out a test sequence, making sure it functioned properly, and verifying the keyboard layout, as a quality check on the other tech. Typewriters failing the test were flipped upside down to tell us to hold them in a separate pile.

While the techs were doing the key work, we were in the next aisle setting up another batch of typewriters.
When they were done with their row, we would return, sweep up the dead keys littering the floor, and then go down the row, putting the typewriters into their bags, styrofoam, closing the box flaps, and stapling the boxes shut.

The rows of typwriters were two rows of 150 each, or 300 typewriters, which fit on six pallets of 50 each.
We would do three sets a day, 900 typewriters.
There were four of us doing the pallet unloading/lineup/repacking/reloading, but two of the guys were real fuck ups, so there were, in effect, three of us doing this part.
There were five techs, four doing the work, and one distributing new keys and keeping track of the operation.

So, eight people processed 900 typewriters a day through an involved repair and test process much more demanding than the Pandora would go through. And the extra weight and physical size of the typewriters makes it even more difficult than the Pandora testing.

When you break it down, those four techs were doing 225 typewriters a day each, or a little over two minutes per unit. Amazing when you think about it. Even though we Gaijin were doing the grunt work of moving the product around, we really had it easy in comparison, and I remember thinking we had lots of time standing around waiting for the techs to finish their rows.

Executive Summary----

It is easily possible for two or three people to process QC work on 4000 Pandoras in a very short period of time, given a good plan of action.

Edited because I really can't do math anymore, corrected...

j.pickens said:
Back in the Dark Ages, when I was in college, I got a job working for Brother Corp. in their US warehouse.
It was a part time job over the Christmas holiday in Piscataway, New Jersey.
Piscataway is an old Lene Lenape Indian word for "light industrial park".
This was when nothing sold in the US was made in China, and Japanese products were considered cheap plastic crap.
Brother, at that time, made mostly sewing machines and typewriters for the US market, at least.

Anyway---Relevant Part-----

They had produced and imported a pile of electric typewriters which were made with a defective plastic formulation in their keys. My job was to move pallets of boxes, remove the boxes from the pallets, and line up the boxes in long rows between the industrial shelving in the warehouse. We then had to open the boxes, which were shut with those long copper shipping staples, removing the staples with a special pair of pliers.
Next, we opened the flaps on the box, pulled out the typewriter, which was sandwiched between styrofoam molded shipping blocks, removed it from a clear plastic bag, put the bag and styrofoam in the box, and lay the typewriter across the open box with the keyboard facing the aisle.

This made an "assembly line" of typewriters which were ready to be repaired.
At this point, Japanese technicians rolled in on rolling office chairs and popped all the keys off the typewriter keyboards. They got real fast at this, as you could sort of plink the keys with your fingers in a certain way, and the keys would just pop off.

The technicians would then take a bags of keys, pop it open, and from memory put the new keys in place on the keyboards. The technicians who did one side of the aisle, would switch sides and insert a test page of paper into each typewriter and type out a test sequence, making sure it functioned properly, and verifying the keyboard layout, as a quality check on the other tech. Typewriters failing the test were flipped upside down to tell us to hold them in a separate pile.

While the techs were doing the key work, we were in the next aisle setting up another batch of typewriters.
When they were done with their row, we would return, sweep up the dead keys littering the floor, and then go down the row, putting the typewriters into their bags, styrofoam, closing the box flaps, and stapling the boxes shut.

The rows of typwriters were two rows of 150 each, or 300 typewriters, which fit on six pallets of 50 each.
We would do three sets a day, 900 typewriters.
There were four of us doing the pallet unloading/lineup/repacking/reloading, but two of the guys were real fuck ups, so there were, in effect, three of us doing this part.
There were five techs, four doing the work, and one distributing new keys and keeping track of the operation.

So, six people processed 900 typewriters a day through an involved repair and test process much more demanding than the Pandora would go through. And the extra weight and physical size of the typewriters makes it even more difficult than the Pandora testing.

When you break it down, those four techs were doing 125 typewriters a day, or a little over three minutes per unit. Amazing when you think about it. Even though we Gaijin were doing the grunt work of moving the product around, we really had it easy in comparison, and I remember thinking we had lots of time standing around waiting for the techs to finish their rows.

Executive Summary----

It is easily possible for two or three people to process QC work on 4000 Pandoras in a very short period of time, given a good plan of action.
What is a typewriter ? :huh:

cbp said:
I assumed 15 minutes per device.
And this is not that far fetched.
They have to do:
- Visual inspection to see if everything is in place
- Hardware inspection. Do all buttons work, is all fitting ok, are the batteries charging. Anything falling apart?
- OS/Software installation
- Software/Hardware testing, i.e. is the touch screen working.
- Packaging. (throw it in a box, print order label, check order, ...)
It was mentioned they had a program for testing the hardware. I imagine it's really just a quick physical inspection, insert SD card, boot, let the program run, test the touch screen, test the keys; total time shouldn't be more than a couple minutes.
Doing the install and boxing them up can be assembly line style: one person just moves down the line, insert a "flash OS" SD card and start it, then move onto the next while the install does it's thing. Cycle through about 20 before coming back to the first, stuff it in a box, get the next one and start the install. Working massively parallel like that, shouldn't take more than another minute or two of actual time to install and box. 2 people working in tandem could probably average about 20 per hour.

Chero said:

It's an archaic mechanic word processor without OS which prints the document in a piece of paper automatically when you are writing and you can't use the delete key because it doesn't have one at all. :lol:

latiosu said:
Chero said:

It's an archaic mechanic word processor without OS which prints the document in a piece of paper automatically when you are writing and you can't use the delete key because it doesn't have one at all. :lol:
Actually many typewriters did have a delete key. I have an electric typewriter at home with one.

-God Ginrai

Some didn't come with the delete key, you had to buy an add-on called a "tip-ex"

Some times I really miss using a typewriter, when you would get a bunch of the hammers jammed together at the type head... and all the ink on your fingers from changing the ribbon. I had a great one that had a red and black ink ribbon in one :)

Oh the memories

Word processors just aren't as satisfying

I still have a typewriter. I use it for filling out forms. Just feed the form in, line it up, type away. A lot more difficult with a computer.

WizardStan said:
I still have a typewriter. I use it for filling out forms. Just feed the form in, line it up, type away. A lot more difficult with a computer.
Well it doesn't matter, anyway. I can hit it seven times out of ten, that's the point.
Now, back to the delivery timeline topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tr_jjs2LKQ

clippa said:
Some didn't come with the delete key, you had to buy an add-on called a "tip-ex"

The other aftermarket item was a basketball hoop. Some got better at typing, some got better at throwing hoops. I was better at hoops.

latiosu said:
Chero said:

Sounds really "Retro", let's buy one for EvilDragon ...
Can the Pandora emulate one ?

Back