Did You Get This Newsletter?!

Ah OK. That should clear up any misunderstandings. You had me excited for a second there though :(

Still waiting, I must be a little way down the list.

Nevermind, will enjoy it when I receive it.

edit:spelling

Why are they waiting so long before producing a second batch? And will the second batch cost more?

Aethix said:
Why are they waiting so long before producing a second batch? And will the second batch cost more?

I keep seeing this question asked, and it's a complex one to answer if you don't understand manufacturing.

First, our goal, to protect the idea behind the Pandora, is not to have any debts. We make what you want and don't get any 'outsider' investors involved who might balls it up. This requires some very careful planning and work, which means we need some time after the first 4000 to make sure things are going smoothly, book new factory time and order new parts - some of the parts can take over two months to be delivered.

Second, Christmas and then the Chinese new year is in the way of any manufacture - this is a convenient time to get on to the software side of things. How often over the course of the open source devices 'movement' have you seen people complaining about a lack of software, or rather more specifically, a lack of finished software? We want to spend some time addressing this issue from early on. If we are to attract a more mainstream crowd then we need to make that software good.

Third, we want to spend some serious time with you all on here talking about the Pandora. We want to hear your views and answer your questions, help new users and get ideas for future promotion and how to give a more user friendly experience in general.

Fourth, we need a holiday, and I need a drink.

Last edited by a moderator:
greendots said:
How many cases, 105? Whats the current status of the mould?

No, the full 4000. Moulds will be finished just before that date.

craigix said:
How often over the course of the open source devices 'movement' have you seen people complaining about a lack of software, or rather more specifically, a lack of finished software? We want to spend some time addressing this issue from early on. If we are to attract a more mainstream crowd then we need to make that software good.
Sounds like a plan to me!

craigix said:
Third, we want to spend some serious time with you all on here talking about the Pandora. We want to hear your views and answer your questions, help new users and get ideas for future promotion and how to give a more user friendly experience in general.
I eagerly await this phase =]

craigix said:
Fourth, we need a holiday, and I need a drink.
Amen, there's been a lot of undeserved animosity towards you lately, please don't get discouraged. Just remember: for every one person bitching there are 30 who aren't.

thanks for clearing things up!

Thank you for the answers, I understand completely. I don't want to seem like I'm complaining, I'm just inquisitive. Now I just need to see if I can convince my parents to buy a system from the first batch before it's sold out. If I can't, I'll just have to wait. A lot of people here have been waiting for a lot longer than I have, so I don't have any right to complain. Thanks for all the hard work and financial investment, Pandora Team.

Wow! This is exciting! I haven't checked my e-mail yet. So they are going to produce 4000 cases when October 15th rolls around?

So in other words, if I'm between 2,900 and 3,000, I probably won't se mine until early November?

Are they being shipped to us *from* Texas? The newsletter doesn't make that clear.

craigix said:
If you are in the USA they most likely will be, yes.

That is effing TITS! STONKING GREAT KNOCKERS NEWS! Fed-ex takes about 4-5 days to deliver to me via ground from Texas.

Phawx said:
craigix said:
If you are in the USA they most likely will be, yes.

That is effing TITS! STONKING GREAT KNOCKERS NEWS! Fed-ex takes about 4-5 days to deliver to me via ground from Texas.

Well I don't know if he was refering to my comment or the other guy's, but either way, it's nice to have a time frame! Woohoo! Thanks, Craig

craigix said:
Now that's what I like about this company, Craig - evidently you understand what most of the games industry has forgotten. :) (The gist of it for those without time to read that link: Customers are quite often ignored and simply viewed as riff-raff/cash-cows, whereas that wasn't always the case in the past. :p )

Thank you for the updates. Definitely good news on shipping and getting an ETA on case moulds.

As always, fans will have more questions.

You talk about your company strategy between the two batches. I am wondering how the team is going to tackle these and if the team is going to stay the same. Specifically I remember ED's blog post about his feelings on the project (after a torrent of negative forum posts):
ED said:
For me, it's a real rollercoaster ride. And while I'm eagerly awaiting putting this project behind me, I think I'll also miss something when we delivered it. Really weird feelings.
I hope that does answer your questions :)

I don't know anything about the organization behind Openpandora Inc., who does what or if there is a hierarchy vs. cabal structure, but I guess I am asking if ED and/or other teammates will leave once first batch ships.

Edit: Oh yea, I didn't get newsletter :( but am glad someone posted it on forums and that devs participate! It is a pleasure :D

borgqueenx said:
This is good but no new news. Everyone who follows the forum already knew this info.

But! 4000 evil boxes will be opened soon...

Actually, the October 15th date for the Cases is new news.

Also, I have yet to receive the newsletter as well.

-God Ginrai

Back