difference between 1 and 2 batch

delicator

Still Fresh
hello again. It´s question day.

Pandora first and second will be identical ? Or we can expect some improvment ? The price will be at 440e too or a new pre command price ?

Thanks again !

First and second batches will be the same, except Batch 2 will not have a "First Batch" sticker behind the battery. No more new preorders are being taken, only way to get one now is to pay the Premium price.

Wasn't there talk about changing the layout of the PCB a bit to make debugging easier for the wireless?

Batch2+=Batch1

Also didn't think that Batch2 was sold out yet. I'm surprised that Batch2's price was the same though.

OP is definitely not taking preorders anymore, although batch 2 was not entirely full.

Essentially, they were losing way too much money on the preorders, so now they have decided to just stop taking them.

I think the basic plan is to sell small amounts of premium units until the preorders are all done (to keep the project running smoothly) and then make the premium cost the standard price to turn the Pandora into a more profitable venture.

Think of it as getting a $150 discount for waiting so long :D

OP is definitely not taking preorders anymore, although batch 2 was not entirely full.

Essentially, they were losing way too much money on the preorders, so now they have decided to just stop taking them.

I think the basic plan is to sell small amounts of premium units until the preorders are all done (to keep the project running smoothly) and then make the premium cost the standard price to turn the Pandora into a more profitable venture.

Think of it as getting a $150 discount for waiting so long :D

It's not money issue

I'm geek, so i'm screewed ^^

But, i don't want rush to have one now (but, yeeeeeeeees i want, but no...) if the batch 2 come with improvments

There is no saying how high any Pandora will overclock and anything above stock speed is in theory invalidating your warranty anyway, however batch 2 and any further Premium units (as of now) will have a few benefits (Further Bra shots from Sony/Nintendo are perhaps included and can be viewed correctly as benefits or drawbacks, based on personal taste).

The 2nd revision nubs will no doubt be the only ones in use for all the new boards produced for batch 1 and batch 2 if not already, plus the newer designed LCD cable aswell. This will hopefully totally eliminate the purple haze issue.

If you can hold out for not buying a premium unit in the meantime (until those cables are mass production standard), then do so, but given that the original LCD cables are solid for most people (as only a few have failed overall) then if you want a Pandora, just buy one now and RMA it, if you are unfortunate enough to have a cable failure.

In which case there's kleenneticX, which applies to viewing SONY pics, if your into men in bra's as much as my wife enjoyed men In tights (The Robin Hood thingy with the inconceivable, left/right handed, logic outsmarting, giant toppling super smarmy to the death, whatzit syndrome of catchy gorgeousness, those types go all swoony over ). Not to mention the Rodents Of Unusual Size that Richard Gere is glad he's never heard of.

Can all Batch 2 Pandoras be overclocked to 1Ghz+?

Batch 2 = Batch 1

Can all Batch 1 overclock to 1Ghz ?

Do the math.

Back when Batch 1 started, the OMAP3530 was rated for up to 600MHz. Since then, the SoC has changed to be rated for up to 720 MHz. I don't know if this has anything to do with improved manufacturing or something. Then again, most if not all Pandoras have been reported to OC to around 700-800MHz, so the 600MHz rating may have been a conservative estimate prior to extensive testing that pushed the rating to 720MHz.

Edit: This is of course assuming they're not using the ISP definition of 'up-to', where they sell you a connection with speeds 'up-to' X Mb/s, and you actually only get X/100000 Mb/s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back when Batch 1 started, the OMAP3530 was rated for up to 600MHz. Since then, the SoC has changed to be rated for up to 720 MHz.
This is a common misconception, but unfortunately incorrect. There are two parts: One rated for up to 600MHz, one rated for up to 720MHz. They are separate, and I gather that the one in use in the Pandora is the 600MHz kind, as the 720MHz one is apparently very expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back when Batch 1 started, the OMAP3530 was rated for up to 600MHz. Since then, the SoC has changed to be rated for up to 720 MHz.
This is a common misconception, but unfortunately incorrect. There are two parts: One rated for up to 600MHz, one rated for up to 720MHz. They are separate, and I gather that the one in use in the Pandora is the 600MHz kind, as the 720MHz one is apparently very expensive.

Thanks for clearing that up. Lokking back at TI's webpage, there are indeed two part numbers: the OMAP3530 which clocks up to 720MHz; and the OMAP3530-HIREL, which clocks up to 600MHz. They look to be spec'd otherwise similarly, so must just be binned for different frequency ranges.

Wasn't there talk about changing the layout of the PCB a bit to make debugging easier for the wireless?
I think they should just change out the wifi for a chip that is open sourced, they're much easier to deal with for those that want to install other OSs on the Pandora on top of the speed issue. I made a post about this but unfortunately I forgot about the 'ask Craigix' section.

Thanks for clearing that up. Lokking back at TI's webpage, there are indeed two part numbers: the OMAP3530 which clocks up to 720MHz; and the OMAP3530-HIREL, which clocks up to 600MHz. They look to be spec'd otherwise similarly, so must just be binned for different frequency ranges.

Yes, I believe that this is true. Way back, there was only the one part- the OMAP3530. Then TI decided to bin them separately. Essentially TI are now separating them according to how they perform.

What this means is that the processors the Pandora team originally were getting ranged between the 600MHz rated ones and the 720Mhz ones, so you had a chance to get a faster Pandora. But now that TI are binning them separately you are much less likely to get a processor which will overclock quite as high. 'Dems the breaks.

Back