Do You Reccomend An Overclocked Model?

benny32

Still Fresh
I have the option of buying a....

166 mhz

160 mhz

or your regular 135 mhz model.

I have heard that the oc models may be glitchy, and worst of all... the batteries only last 2 hours!

Battery power IS a big concern for me, probably the biggest reason why I might not get one.

So should I get an OC or a regular model?

Also, will an OC model give me better performance on emulators? Or are the emulators programmed to fit the regular specs?

Thanks ;)

Moved to "I need help" because the FAQ forum is for posting a FAQ and answering it as is the norm with FAQ's.

On to your question, I can answer it if you tell me the emulators you would like to use (just the console name(s) will do).

benny32 posted on May 26 2005 at 10:57 PM said:
I have the option of buying a....

166 mhz

160 mhz

or your regular 135 mhz model.

I have heard that the oc models may be glitchy, and worst of all... the batteries only last 2 hours!

Battery power IS a big concern for me, probably the biggest reason why I might not get one.

So should I get an OC or a regular model?

Also, will an OC model give me better performance on emulators? Or are the emulators programmed to fit the regular specs?

Thanks ;)

Just because the GP32 CAN overclock to 166 doesn't mean that you HAVE to run it at 166. You can run a 166 MHz capable GP32 at 40 MHz and everything in between if you want and get good battery life. You just select the speed you want to run at in the emulator and it runs at that speed. OC models aren't glitchy if they TRULY OC to the advertised number. If a 166 model is really 166 it won't be glitchy, that is what makes it a 166 model, it runs at 166 glitch free. If you get a seller that is dishonest and tells you that the unit runs at 166 but really only does 156 then the unit will be glitchy (crash) at anything over 156.

The faster you go the better the performance on many emulators. Some of the 8-bit systems like SMS don't run any better with OC but emus like Genesis run better at 144 or 162 MHz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a reason to get a 166 model, the Genesis emulator runs about the same at 160 and 166 EXCEPT the sound pitch is a little off at 160 (because 160mhz doesn't match up with the frequency). At 166 the pitch is right. Most Genesis games run good at 144mhz. But you need 156-166 for the powerful Genesis games to not be choppy.

Blah posted on May 27 2005 at 12:45 AM said:
Heres a reason to get a 166 model, the Genesis emulator runs about the same at 160 and 166 EXCEPT the sound pitch is a little off at 160 (because 160mhz doesn't match up with the frequency). At 166 the pitch is right. Most Genesis games run good at 144mhz. But you need 156-166 for the powerful Genesis games to not be choppy.

I have found that only 144 and 162MHz in DrMD have an effect. Everything in between has no effect.

Thanks for all the quick feedback. I just registered for this forum today, so I'm new.

I didnt know that you could switch the speed of the console on the fly, thats great!

I really want to get a 166 mhz model.

The things I want to do with the system...

Sega Genny (my fav 16 console)

SNES (really, I dont care for SNES games, so this doesnt really matter)

GameGear (I'm a big fan of Sega's handheld, I'm sure the GP32 can handle this at least lol)

Game Boy/GBC ( I dont care about GBA, I own one)

SMS

NES

DivX
MP3

btw, how do you guys deal with the low battery life? Do you have an AC cord or something?

I would also like to know the voltage for the AC adapter, cause I have some GameGear battery packs with lithion Ion inside, and would solve this prob completely...Thanks again.

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me!

Battery life isn't terrible here, it's definitely better than PSP battery life.

Two suggestions:

1: Buy some I-c3 rechargeable batteries and a charger. They last longer than normal batteries and charge in 15 minutes. I use the heck out of these and they work great.
2: If you want an AC adapter, take an old Game Boy adapter (3V 300mAh, although the label on the GP32 says 500mAh) and look at the polarity symbol. See that? It's different. In order to use it, you will have to cut the wire and swap the polarity on it. After that, it should work like a charm. Just make sure you wrap it up right or you might damage something (including your GP32).

Another thing: I bought a 160mHz guaranteed GP32 from GBAx (long story), and I tested it up to 166 anyway. Mine will go easily up to 166, although the stability isn't perfect at 166. I recommend you do the same, it's cheaper.

6 hours = low battery life ?. :blink:

Most of us use a combination of rechargable high capacity Nimh batteries and/or a mains adaptor.

The GP32 requires 3 volt mains adaptor with a mini o pin (yellow tip) that is CENTRE NEGATIVE, Whereas most electronic equipment require a CENTRE POSITIVE arrangment (NB: Using the wrong polarity can KILL your GP32). The mAh rating for the adaptor has to be at least 300mAh to power the GP32 or the GP32 can be powered by two standard AA batteries.

Trooper

The ability to change the clockspeed on the fly depends on if the program includes this feature. Most of the ones that don't have this function are programs that don't need this function.

Genesis run really well, thanks to Reesy's DrMD.

Lets see. SNES doesn't work too well, so don't get your hopes up.

Gamegear, GBC, SMS and NES are emulated decently, but on F-day there will be 12 new emulators that will probably be excellent quality. These include GB/GBC, Gamegear, SMS, and NES.

Divx/Xvid/RMP4 works perfectly, if you encode carefully.

MP3 and OGG work perfectly, but 128mb per card ain't a lot of space for music.

About the power: The battery life, again depends on how high the program is clocked. Many programs do not use the full 133mhz clockspeed (yes, thats the fastest it goes without overclocking), and that means more battery life.

Also, most of us have AC adapters, chargers, and rechargeable batteries. I use NIMH ones and a 2hr charger. But they make batteries and chargers that'll charge in 15min. Any AA battery/battery charger will work.

Any 3v AC adaptor that runs at, more than (or not much less than) 500mA, has negative polarity on the center pin, and has the right size plug, will work.

For radioshack adaptors, its type A, others, it depends, but all are rated by the size.

The BLU says 2v on the back, on the side it says 3v and in the manual it says 3v.

2v and 3v are known to work. The GP32 has a transformer and a zener diode, to make sure the voltage is right.

As long as you have the right polarity and no more than 3v, it'll work. (4.5v has been known to work, but it can damage the diode). It also has to be DC. (an AC adaptor means it converts AC to DC, not that the power output is AC)

160mhz model means they have tested it and know it to be able to run stably at 160mhz. You can find this out yourself too, in any program that can overclock. But the performance of your particular unit if its an untested model is completely up to chance.

166mhz model means the same, except they've tested it at 166mhz.

Me, I bought a 166mhz tested BLU at gp32z.com. I bought it from there because I live in the US and they operate out of California, so that means cheaper shipping and lower price since it doesn't have to be shipped overseas or converted from dollars to pounds.

So where you live is a factor on where you want to buy it from.

i'll post again for the 20th time, honestly, search the boards, this question is asked at least once a week.

My experience.

i had a nlu 156mhz max, now i have a 166mhz flu max. I run all my apps and emu at 156mhz that need the power because there is hardly any difference between 156 and 166.

benny32 posted on May 27 2005 at 02:07 AM said:
Thanks for all the quick feedback. I just registered for this forum today, so I'm new.

I didnt know that you could switch the speed of the console on the fly, thats great!

I really want to get a 166 mhz model.

The things I want to do with the system...

Sega Genny (my fav 16 console)

SNES (really, I dont care for SNES games, so this doesnt really matter)

GameGear (I'm a big fan of Sega's handheld, I'm sure the GP32 can handle this at least lol)

Game Boy/GBC ( I dont care about GBA, I own one)

SMS

NES

DivX
MP3

btw, how do you guys deal with the low battery life? Do you have an AC cord or something?

I would also like to know the voltage for the AC adapter, cause I have some GameGear battery packs with lithion Ion inside, and would solve this prob completely...Thanks again.

Genesis runs extremely well full speed with sound on the GP32 even at 144 MHz.

I have played with the beta of the fDay GB/GBC emu and it is great.

Those other 8-bit systems are good now and will be near perfect after "fDay"

Game gear was 9V I think so those battery packs won't work. :(

Battery packs for the GBA would work as those took 2 AA batteries like the GP32. Just check polarity.

I just use Rayovac 15 Min rechargeables.

Thanks Blah for the link to gp32z.com.

I almost had to blow a crap load more for a unit from www.gbax.com <_<

I'll just get rechargeable batteries.

Very well said every one. I agree if you don't care about SNES or MAME emu then you don't need the 166 etc.

After D-day that all the emulators will be very much improved!!!!!!!!!

Will SNES be playable with sound on a 166 mhz or is the emu still too demanding?

Depends on what you mean by playable, People`s idea of playable vary a great deal from person to person. But generally, Because of the unoptimized sound core, Its pretty slow at what ever speed you play it at with sound. But without sound, The speed increase with higher clock speeds is really noticable. At 166mhz, You are better off playing without sound unless it is a very undemanding game.

Trooper

Back