Do You Use A Gnu/linux Distro On Your Main Computer?

Do you use a GNU/Linux distro on your main computer?

• Yes

Votes: 210 69.1%
  • No

Votes: 94 30.9%

• Total voters

I used to have Ubuntu installed just for when Windows screwed up and needed fixing and used Windows 7 as my main OS. However since I'm still on the RC1, my Windows 7 started shutting down every two hours at the beginning of April. Because of this I went back to Ubuntu 9.10, initially temporarily until I purchase a full copy of Windows 7 but the more I use this OS the more I feel like switching to it as my main OS and maybe having XP installed for the occasional game.

Ubuntu 9.10 on desktop (dual boot to a minimal XP install for a couple of games), Ubuntu 9.10 on laptop (macbook, almost never use the OSX, what was I thinking!), Fedora11 on server (changing back to Ubuntu when 10.04 hits), a custom Ubuntu flavor at work.

fraseyboy said:
However since I'm still on the RC1, my Windows 7 started shutting down every two hours at the beginning of April.
Past tense?

On topic, have dual-booted Ubuntu since 2005, but Windows still gets most of the love for the proprietary best-in-category stuff I use on it. Still, for everything else an operating system does, Ubuntu just *feels* nicerer to use, and I'm very much looking forward to my Pandora being Linux-only.

Last edited by a moderator:
My main desktops are running modded XP and modded Win2k. My NAS runs Ubuntu.

The thing about Linux that gets me is almost every app I try to use or setup has gotchas that waste hours. Like when setting up Samba, the documentation lied about things, and it took about 8 hours of googling, adjusting conf files, and asking on forums, before figuring it out. XP would've taken 5 minutes to setup shares.

Then when trying to set up vsftpd, the documentation lied about things, and it took about 20 hours of googling, adjusting conf files, and asking on forums, before figuring it out. XP (with Filezilla server) would've taken 1.5 minutes to setup.

But I absolutely despise DRM, so I won't be upgrading to Win7, despite Ubuntu's shortcomings.

I love the concepts behind Linux - I just don't like how poorly some of the software works. In my case, any software I touch. On the other hand, my Windows boxes love me. Haven't gotten a virus in 7+ years, and no major hardware or software issues, once I found my stable overclock.

Oh, and I love my WRT54GL w/ Tomato. :D

Line O said:
fraseyboy said:
However since I'm still on the RC1, my Windows 7 started shutting down every two hours at the beginning of April.
Past tense?

English isn't my native languaje but shouldn't that be "my Windows 7 has been shutting down every two hours since Aprill" ?
i understand it eitherway but just asking out of curiosity

back on topic, GNU with Linux (aka ubuntu 9.10) in my Pentium 4 HT 3GHz (prescott!!!!! core at 59°C idlle 73°C under load with fan at 4800 RPM x.x)

laharl said:
Line O said:
fraseyboy said:
Past tense?

English isn't my native languaje but shouldn't that be "my Windows 7 has been shutting down every two hours since Aprill" ?

back on topic, GNU with Linux (aka ubuntu 9.10) in my Pentium 4 HT 3GHz (prescott!!!!! core at 59°C idlle 73°C under load with fan at 4800 RPM x.x)

That statement would be correct if it had been shutting down every two hours since April of last year. 'Has' makes it past tense, it should say 'will' because next month the Windows 7 RC will start shutting down. His original sentence would be correct if it said 'will start shutting down'

On topic, I'm surprised by these results. Not on linux here, Windows 7 x64.

Since it started happening in March, I'm pretty sure it's a month typo not a grammar fail.

But don't let me ruin your fun! ;)

A Leopard covered in Snow!

Used to dual boot Ubuntu though ... I just didn't have the time to make it work well.

fiori_musicali said:
VRAndy said:
but we're talking about a game that's exactly like the original, but you can kill zombies with a katana.
I wish. :( I take it that you didn't play the prequel very much, am I right? I say this because they're VASTLY different games, the other being extremely fun and stimulating, and the other extremely dull and stiff. That's just my opinion.
I've put a lot of hours into both, and I prefer the new one. The short-range weapons makes the game significantly better.

I guess if I had to choose characters, I would prefer the original four survivors over the new four, but not by so wide a margin that it would override all my other good feelings about the sequel.

VRAndy said:
I've put a lot of hours into both, and I prefer the new one. The short-range weapons makes the game significantly better.

I guess if I had to choose characters, I would prefer the original four survivors over the new four, but not by so wide a margin that it would override all my other good feelings about the sequel.

Let's not forget the new special infected, and scavenge mode... Those are the two things I LOVE about the second one. :D

Alerino said:
Ubuntu_karmic_koala_9_10.jpg

I consider myself a human being and I don't look anything like this. This is an outrage!! I want cute furry ears!!!

:)

But onto the actually discussion at hand! I used to use Ubuntu on my (dual boot with Windows 7 x64) desktop but have been using Suse x64 11.2 recently and don't have too many complaints though I can see myself switching back with Ubuntu 10.04. I use Crunchbang (based on Ubuntu 9.04) on my netbook and Ubuntu 9.10 on my server at home.

Attachments

• Ubuntu_karmic_koala_9_10.jpg
    Ubuntu_karmic_koala_9_10.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 107
VRAndy said:

Though I enjoy both games a lot I have to agree. I just can't wait until the new DLC for L4D2 so I can play as the original cast!

fischju2000 said:
laharl said:
Line O said:
fraseyboy said:
Past tense?

That statement would be correct if it had been shutting down every two hours since April of last year. 'Has' makes it past tense, it should say 'will' because next month the Windows 7 RC will start shutting down. His original sentence would be correct if it said 'will start shutting down'

On topic, I'm surprised by these results. Not on linux here, Windows 7 x64.

LOL i forgot that we are still in March XDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Windows XP on this machine for videogames and my extensive amount of data stuck on NTFS. Arch Linux on my laptop(running Windows 7 too, much prefer arch though).

Linux Mint 8 here, always had problems with Windows.. So I uninstalled it.. Linux fits me much better, sure there is few apps that don
t work with Wine, but found much better alternative and those which I could not find, I'll just let them slip.. Since Wine grows fast and most of those were games so w/e

Running Windows 7 on my desktop (for games), Arch Linux on my laptop.
The desktop has an Ubuntu partition, but I haven't had enough incentive to sort out GRUB again after the Windows 7 install.

Actually I just did a backup, and I'm intending to install Arch Linux over Ubuntu tomorrow, since I really shouldn't start an Arch Linux install at 11pm :p

Back