Does Any Open Pandora Malware Exist?

OpenBox asks for root.

notaz SGX driver PND asks for root. 

Codec Pack PND asks for root. 

Java PND ask for root (I think).

Java PND ask for root (I think).
For the install so it can put a simple script in the bin path, just so you can call "java whatever.class" from the command line, and all java applications just work in exactly the same way as on a desktop (mostly).If you don't trust that, and I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, it has a "Run JAR" command which doesn't require root, it just runs a selected jar file.

Pandora System Info asks for root if you want to modify your system bus clockspeed or disable wifi power saving. You can make your Pandora crash if you overclock the system bus too much.

Pandora Flashlight (my first Pandora application ;) ) also asks for root, so it can set the backlight brightness itself. It uses that to display the color you want in the most power-friendly way, and also for the stroboscope mode.

Can this "ask for root" thing be indicated on the repo so user can be informed before downloading them?  I know, I'm paranoid here :) But if it's too much work then forget it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can this "ask for root" thing be indicated on the repo so user can be informed before downloading them?  I know, I'm paranoid here :) But if it's too much work then forget it :)
What help would that be?

If a program you don't trust asks you for the root password, you can simply refuse to give it.

43919368.jpg

Why are you spreading ideas like this and why do you people even give indirect advice how to make such files?

This whole thread is malware.

The best way to prevent it is to stop giving it energy, I.e. dropping the subject. Malware is juvenile... this community *in general* has a maturity level above that of the general populace, and imo while I'm all for freedom, I still feel discussing this subject serves no real purpose... except to plant ideas.

The best way to prevent it is to stop giving it energy, I.e. dropping the subject.
If we were discussing trolling I would definitely agree, but I don't think you will stop people from creating malicious software by avoiding talking about it. 

That said, I don't think the risk is very high in this small community. 6000 Pandora's sold, lot of members have more than one Pandora so my wild guess is worldwide only 5000 owners - not much to gain here. Most devs are also known here by the community or OP team. 

If you want to reduce the risk to almost zero, you can start using open source software only and/or don't go online with your Pandora.

x is bad! We must erase all reference to x from the internet to protect the consumers! Think of the children!
I would normally have agreed with your point,   except that FaeMinx did not suggest that at all - the suggestion was to avoid tempting fate by dropping the subject, which isn't the same as censorship.  

- Neelix

We need to talk about it to know if it's possible and how to prevent it, I guess
Is it possible? Yes.How to prevent it? If it asks for a password make extra super double plus sure you trust the source.

That is it.

Back