Does Gta1 Or 2 Work Via Psx Emu?

Lupin

Website
www.ergwow.com
Just curious cause these are really simple titles and GTA 1 for those that dont know was actually a port of the unreleased SNES version. I would assume these will work, just wondered if anyone had actually tried them with decent results?

Just curious cause these are really simple titles and GTA 1 for those that dont know was actually a port of the unreleased SNES version. I would assume these will work, just wondered if anyone had actually tried them with decent results?
Both 1 and 2 seem rather basic. I assume they should run pretty decent. They arent very good to begin with, so you arent missing anything :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Cant see how Payback is a clue to running gta on PSx. However if you are looking to play something like GTA then Payback is certainly recommended as it is native.

Regardless of what other people think I think this is a great game and shows off some good effects and probably the technical limits of the gp2x. There's loads of vehicles to steal and some satisfying explosions. Shame about the voice acting but it's ok. The 3 demo music tracks , all though not my cup of tea goes well with the game and quite listenable.

Well that turned into a mini review, although one was needed. :D

GTA 1 on PSX4all, 275mhz, Emulator Tweak (the RAM timings) and MMUhack module: around 7 FPS ingame.

In other words: not playable. :)
I also tried running it with scanline set to 5 or something, but that didn't increase the FPS by much. :/

GTA 1 for those that dont know was actually a port of the unreleased SNES version.

Wow, that's interesting! I had no idea. I had GTA1 for the PS1. I bought it after playing it on my friends pc, and I only had one go of it on the PS1 before shelfing it for good... it was a stunningly bad port! I read a rumour in a magazine that they had accidently sent an earlier version to be mastered - which accounted for the poor graphics, but if it was really a SNES port then that would explain a lot.

I was actually just thinking about this yesterday, spooky. :)

Payback is nice, but it could never beat GTA2

"Gimmie your wallet!" lol but gta2 is probably the best gta imo, so much to do, so much to explore, so much to blow up.... payback is more like a gta 1 to me, so it could definatly never beat gta2 (but that dosnt mean it isnt good) but then again i don't really need to emulate gta2 (got me a ps1 and a mobile monitor, so im set :D )

and interesting, i didnt know that (gta1 is a snes port!) wierd how it didnt find its way to the n64

After seeing others' replies, I thought your statement was that GTA1 for the PC was a port of the SNES version. That was very surprising to me, and from what I can tell is wrong. After re-reading your post, you mean the PSX version of GTA1 was a port of the unreleased SNES version, right?

Here are some notes and prototypes of the original GTA. The prototypes were done on a 486. http://www.mikedailly.com/programming.htm

so gta 1 +2 are both unplayable?
cos i love both these games, so much freedom, so much fun
2 has a very good flexible storyline, but gta 1 has the free controls, hard to master but very fun, + the all weapons gta cheat, rocket launcher ftw

Back