Dosbox 0.70 - Coming Soon I Think....

I am (and was) planning to work with the DOSBox team on the official port for ARM-based DOSBox releases, including a port of their threaded dynarec. I havent had time for it, but that might change in the coming month or two. I actually ported DOSBox to the GP2X in private but bOinball is in the right direction. I'll help where I can since there's a lot of info the dev's of DOSBox gave me for performance tweaks. :)

Just to offer some support and say i very much look forward to a release of this - good work mister.

Cheers for the Support :)

Havn't worked too much on it today as I didn't stop messing with it till 3am.

2 days dev to get it to a working state for the gp2x ain't bad though :)

I've been testing 0.65 against 0.70.

From what I can tell 0.70 is a little faster and more stable what I can find.

I'm going to start a new topic on what games should be included in a pack file to come with the release I'll fire off later.

Regards
bOing

Such things are never easy I know. :) Its good that DOSBOX can run on GP2X. :)
Technical Question: What performance Tweaks can help the GP2X Dosbox? MMU-Hack? 2. Processor?

bOingball posted on Mar 20 2007 at 11:31 PM said:
Ok turning off sound gives me near nuff 386/33Mhz full speed for this game.
Would there be an performance increase between emulated Soundblaster/Adlib/whatever Game-Sound and emulated PC-Speaker-Sound? I could live with the Speaker-Sound if this brings more performance then "normal" DOS-Games Sound.
I never had an Soundcard on my old 386 DX 40 so I learned to live with PC-Speaker Sound espeically in Commander Keen :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power posted on Mar 22 2007 at 05:57 PM said:
Would there be an performance increase between emulated Soundblaster/Adlib/whatever Game-Sound and emulated PC-Speaker-Sound? I could live with the Speaker-Sound if this brings more performance then "normal" DOS-Games Sound.
I never had an Soundcard on my old 386 DX 40 so I learned to live with PC-Speaker Sound espeically in Commander Keen :lol:
Hehe, me too ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
PC Speaker emulation is much faster than the Sound Blaster 16 bit emu.

I would stick with PC Spreaker emu until I could tweak the performance of the other emualtion.

Also looking at the DosBox code, the Sound Blaster emu isn't fully working so it's proberly causing all our slowdowns already, as if my Athlon X64 CPU can't take it the gp2x can't as well...

I'm sure PC Speaker emu is best for us at the moment though until the DosBox team work out all the bugs and slowdowns in the SB16 code.

I'm hoping to have a release soon people, I'm sorry if I'm keeping anyone on the edge of there seats lol

You where lucky for me to port the first one, I'm glad I did and I hope my second release hits the same people and works better than the last.

All the best.

bOing

Back