Dosbox 0.70 - Suggest A' Game(tm)

Thanks Pickle - I hope this helps bOingball in solving the problem in the gp2x build - I have no access nor knownledge in running dosbox in linux so your help is appreciated. Now, wondering why WinXP's dosbox is also behaving oddly - ie. not work if mounted on a "non-native" drive...

Theres nothing wrong with the dosbox in XP or in Linux. The game is apparently looking for itself to reside on a dosbox drive C . You can put it anywhere on any drive at any folder and as long as you mount that location as C inside dosbox it will work. This will be the same with the GP2X. But as we see the program crashes out, which leads me to believe theres something different with the two compilations or the settings in the conf are not correct for Candle. So gates007 i think the only thing you can do is try different conf settings and maybe you will get lucky. You should also try running from telnet or logging the output from the serial port off of the BOB.

I'm in hospital all day tomorrow so I'm going to try this now, I'm just trying to locate my gp2x as I need it for my Hospital Trip deffo...

Argh damn misplaying.

bOing

Game Works Fine Here. (Used Telnet to debug and found out that having the folder in caps does not help)

How to Make it work :

Rename CANDLE folder to small case candle

All the stuff is in mnt/sd/dosbox/candle (Thats the Root of the SD Card / Dosbox / Candle)

My Candle.gpe in mnt/sd/dosbox/candle is

CODE
#! /bin/sh

DIRROOT=/mnt/sd/dosbox
DIRGAME=${DIRROOT}/candle

cd ${DIRGAME}
${DIRROOT}/dosbox -conf ${DIRGAME}/dosbox.conf

cd /usr/gp2x
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

The end of my dosbox.conf is like this

CODE
[autoexec]
# lines of code to boot the dos program go here
mount C "/mnt/sd/dosbox/candle"
c:
MCANDLE.EXE

It won't work if you had candle in CAPS in the gpe as well as the .conf.

Hope this helps and enjoy, the game looks like it plays fine, I was walking around after the king side HI.

Regards
bOing

Pickle said:
I ran mcandle in the x86 Linux (suse) and it had no problems running. I mounted from a linux folder to C:\ in dosbox. I think this enough proof to suggest that some incompabilites are in the ARM build.
The imcompatablitys are usually with Memory sizes from PC to the GP2X

But also most inportant is that Dosbox does not like the wrong caps being used for folders and files (it's very case sensitive)

Hope that helps :) sorry for the late reply, I've been busy, I could upload a working Candle but I've not got the mapper sorted for it (I just used Tyrians mapper)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey bOingball,

Thanks for your help! I finally got this to work. For some reason, I have to reinstall the game after inputting your instructions to the dosbox.conf and candle.gpe files but got it working now nevertheless. Thanks again!

Good luck with your hospital visit (hope it is nothing serious)!

Good health and godspeed!

~g

Pickle said:
I ran mcandle in the x86 Linux (suse) and it had no problems running. I mounted from a linux folder to C:\ in dosbox. I think this enough proof to suggest that some incompabilites are in the ARM build.

The imcompatablitys are usually with Memory sizes from PC to the GP2X

But also most inportant is that Dosbox does not like the wrong caps being used for folders and files (it's very case sensitive)

Hope that helps :) sorry for the late reply, I've been busy, I could upload a working Candle but I've not got the mapper sorted for it (I just used Tyrians mapper)

If i remeber correctly I think that the AloneITD folder was caps too. I will give this stuff a shot tonight.

Glad it's working :)

I just remember my Telnet debug output complaining about no such folder called CANDLE and seg faulting out... handy to have Telnet to dubug I tell you :)

The hospital appointment was fine, just been there all day. Was having a radioactive test, got some internal problems kicking about but felling good at the moment even though I'm slightly radioactive now for the next 48 hours.

bOing

This is quite a big ask, but im useless at this config file and mapper file and all this stuff, just cant get it to work :huh: , but is there any chance at all that someone can send me one they've done for commander keen 4, or biomenace to bramsmell at hotmail dot com

I'll understand if you don't want to and everyone tells me to get stuffed, but thought i'd ask anyway :p

Cheers dudes, Bram

Bramrash said:
This is quite a big ask, but im useless at this config file and mapper file and all this stuff, just cant get it to work :huh: , but is there any chance at all that someone can send me one they've done for commander keen 4, or biomenace to bramsmell at hotmail dot com

I'll understand if you don't want to and everyone tells me to get stuffed, but thought i'd ask anyway :p

Cheers dudes, Bram
What I would like to see is full listing of the key mapping numbers for the GP2X buttons. Anyone have them?

What I would like to see is full listing of the key mapping numbers for the GP2X buttons. Anyone have them?
[/quote]

don't know if this helps:

L=108 R=107

NW=98 N=97 NE=104 Y=111
W=99 In =115 E=103 A=109 B=110
SW=100 S=101 SE=102 X=112

V- =113 V+ =114 Select=106 Start=105

Just so you know, you can also combine key press for two keys together;

hand_shutdown "key 108 mod1"
mod_1 "key 107"

so here if you press L & R together dosbox will exit

--edit--

thanks for the mappings! I am currently working on getting my selfmade old DOS game Lemmings@War to work. and things are looking up thanks to the keycodes (why are they not in the Dosbox WIKI?)

The game uses HSC files as music, which sound very very interupted. The game is here.. I will post a working dosbox config tommorrow ;D

chaozz said:

--edit--
I am beginning to wonder that my dosbox.conf is off the older version, and might not be compatible with 0.70. can somebody confirm this?

I havnt looked at your conf, but you should try using one of the conf's included, they do change for each release.
I also see your calling your mapper "mapping.txt", you do use that name in the conf? (typically its called mapper.txt

I plan to play with this some tonight, I can try your stuff

Ok, I've got it working, but it's darn slow. And it's not graphical, so I guess the Dosbox config needs tweaking.

Here is what I did so far:
- I've removed the music. It was dreadfully slow. Maybe if we get the game working fullspeed we can reintroduce the music
- I've made a mapping like this:

Press Joystick > P (this is to start playing with your lemming)

for movement:
Joystick Left > Arrow left
Joystick Right > Arrow right
Joystick Up > Arrow up
Joystick Down > Arrow down

SELECT > Enter (choose a weapon with the arrows and press enter again to select it)
START > Spacebar (to shoot, now use + and - to select power and arrows to aim. press space again to shoot)
Vol + and - > Power of the shot
Left thumb > Escape (to stop playing)
Right thumb > Y (to answer the "wanna stop playing with Yes)

Thats all.
The game, working, with the config I use now is here: http://www.chaozz.nl/?downloadid=lemwar_gp2x.zip

-- edit --

the game can be started with a -nosound parameter. i dont know if dosbox supports parameters, but just so you know.

chaozz said:
Ok, I've got it working, but it's darn slow. And it's not graphical, so I guess the Dosbox config needs tweaking.

Got the PM, you could try simple for the core and auto for the cycles

Oh, you said you wanted to try my stuff. But what I understand you didn't test it. Thats ok. I'll try your suggestions. Maybe someone else who is a gp2x-dosbox freak wants to try the binary I posted previously?

chaozz said:
Oh, you said you wanted to try my stuff. But what I understand you didn't test it. Thats ok. I'll try your suggestions. Maybe someone else who is a gp2x-dosbox freak wants to try the binary I posted previously?
I will try it, I just was giving you some ideas if you were still messing with it. Work went late last night so, gp2x was pushed aside for the time being.

I tried your suggested settings, but they didn't make a difference. Still slow as a snail. :(
Does dosbox allow you to overclock your cpu somehow? Maybe that'll give it the boost it needs.

Back