Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

I had to press the record button and turn the volume up to get it loud enough to not be challenging for games to register it (only tested Wario Ware Touched though)

Here's a homebrew program (example program from devkitPro) that you can test the microphone with: http://exophase.devzero.co.uk/micrecord.nds
It seems that record button in the mixer is irrelevant, I tried with it on and off, and DraStic was able to use the mic either way.

- Neelix

It seems that record button in the mixer is irrelevant, I tried with it on and off, and DraStic was able to use the mic either way.

- Neelix
What you say is technically true for me as well, but only with the record button on was I able to actually adjust the volume. This made a big difference in how loud the mic played in DraStic (could tell directly in micrecord.nds). On the default setting, with the record button off and the volume bar at 0 I really struggled to get through the minigames in Wario Ware Touched, while with a much higher volume it was pretty easy.

Weird but cool : With the new verison my savegame from the first version that used to crash the emulator now works again..

- Neelix
What you say is technically true for me as well, but only with the record button on was I able to actually adjust the volume. This made a big difference in how loud the mic played in DraStic (could tell directly in micrecord.nds). On the default setting, with the record button off and the volume bar at 0 I really struggled to get through the minigames in Wario Ware Touched, while with a much higher volume it was pretty easy.
Huh!  That's really bizarre.... I missed it because you need to adjust the volume *after* clicking record.  If it's already set to maximum when you hit record it ignores it.   

I'll go back and adjust my instructions then. (again)  :)

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought "Professor Layton and Pandoras box" yesterday - works like charm !

Is anybody else experiencing that weird behaviour with New Super Mario Bros:

The display setting is set to single: If I change game sections through tubes sometimes the view changes to the touchscreen display (like pressing x). It seams to happen randomly, no specific, reproduceable situation found so far.

That happens in Dragonball Evolution quite a bit, I use it with vertical screens but sometimes it displays the same thing on both screens for a brief moment, or it'll show some weird angle randomly.

The display setting is set to single: If I change game sections through tubes sometimes the view changes to the touchscreen display (like pressing x). It seams to happen randomly, no specific, reproduceable situation found so far.
That's not an emulator bug, that's how the game actually works, it swaps the screen content to make it look like you're going beneath the current screen. You'll see that you can't actually press the power up because it isn't on the touch screen (which makes this a dumb gimmick IMO)

That's not an emulator bug, that's how the game actually works, it swaps the screen content to make it look like you're going beneath the current screen. You'll see that you can't actually press the power up because it isn't on the touch screen (which makes this a dumb gimmick IMO)
Did not realize that. Yeah, that's pretty dumb for a device that was advertising touch so much.

Making you press the screen to use the powerup is really dumb in the first place. There are multiple unmapped buttons, there's no good reason why one of them shouldn't bring down the powerup.

BTW, last I tried I could run 128MB zipped ROMs okay on a CC Pandora. YMMV though. I was hoping someone would try 256MB ones on a Rebirth/1GHz unit.

Well, at least it's better than accidentially pushing a key from time to time, but not noticing it :wacko:   Thanks for the explanation

Making you press the screen to use the powerup is really dumb in the first place. There are multiple unmapped buttons, there's no good reason why one of them shouldn't bring down the powerup.
But they had to incorporate the touchscreen in some way, otherwise it would not have been a real NDS - Title (it is still kind of dumb though)

While I have your attention:

Any chance I can hope for the additional key mapping => [1] and [L] => [2] in the next release ?

Maybe you could implement what EvilDragon suggested:

Press a button, then touch the screen. The button will simulate screen press on that specific point.

Perfect for such games like New Super Mario Bros.

Bonus if this even works while the touchscreen is not shown.

I'm hoping we can set up some advanced simulated touch controls in the future. For example, mapping an analog nub to simulate touch in a circle around a certain point on the touchscreen when the nub is outside of a dead zone (I'm looking at you, Super Mario 64 DS, but this might be useful for other games as well). Also, the aforementioned mapping keys to certain points on the touch screen sounds like an excellent idea.

i also proposed to use the nub as an analog controller for those games where the main character is controlled only by the touch screen..where every direction on the touch screen represetns a direction on the nub

i also proposed to use the nub as an analog controller for those games where the main character is controlled only by the touch screen..where every direction on the touch screen represetns a direction on the nub
Nice idea.

But I think getting more games to work and improve 3D stuff is the most important issue for now.

Customizing the controlls and improving the gameplay feeling comes after that.

EDIT:

Maybe one big and one small screen would be important before 3D works better as this would improve lot of games.

Simply move the big screen to the left and use the right bottom corner for the second screen (map...)

In Phoenix Wright trials and tribulations, it's possible to click on the back button (when in court record menu) when pushing below it, in the non-emulator area.

Back