Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

I'm amazed by the amount of games that work, thanks again Exophase!

I wanted to share an idea : Could it be possible to make the second screen appear with the push of a button when on "single screen" mode? For Super Mario for example, you just need the touchscreen to choose a mushroom or flower... Or Zelda, for the map... It could be a way to make the most out of the single screen and making the second one appear only when needed without having to go through the options...
Uhm...did you try pressing x? On the Keyboard I mean, that switches the places of the screens...

Also, great job Exophase!

I'm amazed by the amount of games that work, thanks again Exophase!

I wanted to share an idea : Could it be possible to make the second screen appear with the push of a button when on "single screen" mode? For Super Mario for example, you just need the touchscreen to choose a mushroom or flower... Or Zelda, for the map... It could be a way to make the most out of the single screen and making the second one appear only when needed without having to go through the options...
Uhm...did you try pressing x? On the Keyboard I mean, that switches the places of the screens...

Also, great job Exophase!
Yes, and that's already really useful. I was referring to going from single screen to dual screen with "x" for example... Like you know for games where you actually need to see both screens.

Exophase: How about adding an option that'll make the top/left screen bigger than the bottom/right one?

Sorry for asking this nooby question, but can a CC unit play not:

1) a zipped which size is or bigger 128 MB?

2) a rom which size is or bigger 128 MB?

Kind regards and thank you for your answer.

Yeah I'm definitely doing something to switch screen orientation with a button, I've felt the strong need for that too.. Not sure how I'll want to do that though. Usually you just want to switch back and forth between two settings, so I could have primary and secondary settings.. (in the future there'll be more orientation options)

I need to get together a comprehensive consensus on what controls people want. Interestingly I haven't heard anyone ask for control customization at all, meaning it won't be much of a priority for now.
The only buttons that I could see being added is one that switches between layout modes (single screen, top/bottom, left/right), and one that changes from scaled to standard res. In addition to X for switching screens, I think that'd be all you need. Z, X, and C perhaps?

Zipped. It can theoretically play a rom of any size.

Mario Kart DS is almost playable on a CC unit. Great work Exophase. Can't wait for improvements.

Unzipped ROMs aren't loaded into memory so they should work regardless of how large they are (if it'll work with the emulator at all, of course).

Well I did a little bit of trial work, and More Brain Training still crashes art the same point, but the original works fine, even the mic works! (Don't think I've ever used it previously on my Pandora) Retro Game Challenge works week apart from some graphical glitches on the 3D elements, and I've tried Soul Bubbles, which is currently running very slowly (all tested on a 1gig Pandora running at 1ghz)

http://exophase.devzero.co.uk/drastic_readme.txt

readme said:
-- Changelog --
Legend:
@: optimization
+: new feature
#: bug fix
-: removed feature

r0.2p:
+: Implemented microphone. Not the greatest audio quality but should be
sufficient. Be sure to enable it and set the volume high enough using
the OS volume controls. Thanks to Slaeshjag for help.

- Neelix
ehrm how do i enable it?i mean from the emu or the os itself?i'm with both superzaxxon and openbox

More specifically:
(taken from the wiki)

• In the mixer control utility, select SELECT CONTROLS and enable 'Analog Left Main Mic' and 'Analog Right Main Mic'
  • Go to the CAPTURE tab. Ensure the record button is red. (if not, click it)
  • Adjust the level to whatever is necessary (high-max recommended)
- Neelix

EDIT:  it seems the wiki is out of date -  Adjusted instructions for current firmware.
EDIT2:  not sure if that last step is necessary actually mhWaveEdit seems to be able to read mic input either way.  I haven't played a DS game with mic input in a long while, so I don't know an easy way to test it in DraStic.
EDIT3: confirmed the third step wasn't needed, adjusted volume recommendation based on actual usage.
EDIT4: Need to adjust volume *after* hitting record even if its already at desired setting,  otherwise the level selected has no effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the mic works well enough in it that it manages to misunderstand the same words that the real DS does in Brain Training(and I didn't change any settings beforehand)! Blue! Blue! BLUE!!! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to press the record button and turn the volume up to get it loud enough to not be challenging for games to register it (only tested Wario Ware Touched though)

Here's a homebrew program (example program from devkitPro) that you can test the microphone with: http://exophase.devzero.co.uk/micrecord.nds

Back