Release DROD 1 - King Dugan's Dungeon

Hi @ptitSeb :)

@Magic Sam : I think you have a "Data" folder created already, so it doesn't try to extract anything.

I really don't understand what's going on... Prior to testing your new PNDs, I always "cp -a" my appdata/drod1 directory to, say, drod1.old. I also removed drod1_ptitseb.pnd, in order to avoid any potential conflicts with your test PNDs. True, there's a "Data" folder, but it's not in appdata/drod1...

Cheers, Magic Sam

Mmm, you maybe have the 2 versions of the PND accessible, and there is a mix between the 2?
That sounds unlikely. As I told you before, I always removed drod1_ptitseb.pnd before trying your new test PNDs (but I could be wrong though...)
On a side note: did you map a key for the "wait" action ("5" on the keypad by default) ?
Finally, is Erik Hermansen (the author) aware of your porting efforts ? I think he'd be glad to know his game is running on a new, exotic platform :)
Cheers, Magic Sam

That sounds unlikely. As I told you before, I always removed drod1_ptitseb.pnd before trying your new test PNDs (but I could be wrong though...)
On a side note: did you map a key for the "wait" action ("5" on the keypad by default) ?
Finally, is Erik Hermansen (the author) aware of your porting efforts ? I think he'd be glad to know his game is running on a new, exotic platform :)
Cheers, Magic Sam
The wait key is "i" (like on the "Laptop" config).

I haven't yet wrote to author (but you can do it if you want or already are in contact with him)

I have a new version (on the same link if anyone wants to try). I think it works now. I haven't tested with Caravel setup file (as I don't have it), but I have added Windows setup file support and it worked, so I'm confident it's fine now (I have fixed a couple of bugs in the script).

I'll upload it to the repo soon.

Hi all :)

@Magic SamAlso, I plan to do another PND for DROD2 - Journey to the Rooted Hold and DROD3 - The City Beneath, using the GoG version. If you have those 2 from the author website, give me the same info.

I don't have these games (yet), and since the very first one seems to already be way too hard for me, I doubt I'll ever buy them :p

Be warned, this game gets really hard very quickly!
I gave up midway.

It's perfect for puzzle lovers that want a challenge and something different.

So true ! I have just visited the official forums to find some hint about the second level, room "Twice South" :$

The wait key is "i" (like on the "Laptop" config).

I haven't yet wrote to author (but you can do it if you want or already are in contact with him)

Thanks for the information regarding the "wait" key, very convenient. I don't know the author, but I could drop him an e-mail about your recent port one of these days.

I have a new version (on the same link if anyone wants to try). I think it works now. I haven't tested with Caravel setup file (as I don't have it), but I have added Windows setup file support and it worked, so I'm confident it's fine now (I have fixed a couple of bugs in the script).

I'll upload it to the repo soon.

I'll test this new version and report back to you ASAP !

Cheers, Magic Sam

I have pushed the version to the repo.

Build 02
-------------

• Added support for GoG Windows Data extraction
  • Added (untested) support for Caravel Linux Data extraction

Very nice port, Thanks! Since my shoulders don't work too well I've remapped to DPAD+12QW and rotating/waiting on the action buttons, but I think the default mapping is fine. My wife was a little disgusted when I told her that the sounds are from a roach slaying game:)

@ptitSeb: could you please test your DROD 2.0 engine against DROD: Architects' Edition data ?

It's my understanding that DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0 (the one we can already play on the repo) is actually a remake of DROD: Architects' Edition (also named King Dugan's Dungeon (1.0) ), thus both should run on the same engine.

EDIT: Timeline (from Wikipedia): (Webfoot) DROD 1.03 (+patches 1.04 and 1.11) (1996 / DOS) -> Source Code release (MPL 1.1) (2000) -> (Caravel) DROD 1.5 (2003) -> DROD 1.6 (Architects' Edition) (2003) -> DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon (runs on DROD 2.0 engine) (2005) -> DROD (2.0): Journey to Rooted Hold (2005) -> etc...

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:
So I fixed the extraction of Data from the Caravel Linux install (the "xz" executable was missing).

Build 03
-------------

• Fixed support for Caravel Linux Data extraction

Did any of you guys tried to use the CaravelNet features with that game ?

I validated my copy and created an account on the official website. yesterday As a result, I received a free CaraveNet key that I copied in the "Settings" menu. Some news regarding DROD started to appear at the bottom of the main menu, but I can't submit any highscores, nor download any new levels...:( In the upper right corner there's also an icon indicating some network issue, making my CaravelNet key validation impossible.

What am I doing wrong ? Should I request a new key ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

Thanks @ptitSeb for having a look into this. It would be a pity IMHO if the open source version would not be compatible with CaravelNet features, as they seem to add a lot to the game.

On a side note, this game is definitely way too hard for me (I had to ask for help on the official boards regarding a room in level 3, and now I'm stuck again in level 4...) :p

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to playing DROD 4.0 "Gunthro and the Epic Blunder" on the Pandora, as this one is said to be more beginner friendly :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Back