Ds Supercard Question

ive been looking at these for me and my brother for a while, so many choices, few quick question
the M3 DS Simply is the best for me i think i have no real interest in playing GBA roms, will this play videos if so what format do they need to be in, is it like the GP were you download emulators n apps to run them or are they built in to the cards?

ive been looking at these for me and my brother for a while, so many choices, few quick question
the M3 DS Simply is the best for me i think i have no real interest in playing GBA roms, will this play videos if so what format do they need to be in, is it like the GP were you download emulators n apps to run them or are they built in to the cards?
The M3 Simply will play DS games and not GBA (as you know). It will run .dpg video files via the built-in Moonshell interface (there is a free converter available for Windows). Since it is a slot-1 card, there are no emulators built-in (all built-in emulators are gba-emulators). You can download and run homebrew, including emulators, from the internet.

The R4 is for all intents and purposes the exact same card as the M3 Simply, in case you wanted to save some money.

Last edited by a moderator:
The M3 Simply will play DS games and not GBA (as you know). It will run .dpg video files via the built-in Moonshell interface (there is a free converter available for Windows). Since it is a slot-1 card, there are no emulators built-in (all built-in emulators are gba-emulators). You can download and run homebrew, including emulators, from the internet.

The R4 is for all intents and purposes the exact same card as the M3 Simply, in case you wanted to save some money.
thanks alot, is there any speed change in the emulation do you know?

thanks alot, is there any speed change in the emulation do you know?
No. All Slot-1 cards run all NDS games (that they're compatible with) at full-speed. There is no compatibility difference between M3 and R4. Compatibility in both is incredibly good.

also is there a browser around which you can use on wifi? i know the opera one but any homebrew or anything free

Just pirate the opera version *hint hint*
To do that, you need a Slot-2 cart, such as the Supercard lite (and NOT rumble), to use as a memory pack in conjunction with the Slot-1 cart. There is no other way to run the Opera browser than by using a Slot-1 and Slot-2 card in tandem.

I went the Superpass2 and Supercard Lite route, flashed my DS and then passed the Superpass2 on to friends.

Cost wise in the UK you are talking around £12-15 for the Superpass2, £35 for the Supercard Lite and then the cost of the microSD on top of that.

You do have to patch roms and as epicenter says sometimes the patching software gets upgraded but it's a click and press thing that will patch in batches and so is really no effort at all.

I have to say i'm very impressed with the console after steering clear of them purposely for years.

Ok, so right now im planning on getting the M3 simply, because im not too interested in GBA games; i just want to clear up some things; it will run homebrew? Also;
I'm interested in Snes, Nes, and NDS emulation mainly, will the M3 simply do all this? without patching or flashing or any of that jazz? From what i gather its all drag and drop, am I correct in assuming this?

I'm aware of the m3 simply is a clone, I will buy which ever one is avaliable/cheaper when im ordering :p

Thanks for all the great info so far everyone

Ok, so right now im planning on getting the M3 simply, because im not too interested in GBA games; i just want to clear up some things; it will run homebrew? Also;
I'm interested in Snes, Nes, and NDS emulation mainly, will the M3 simply do all this? without patching or flashing or any of that jazz? From what i gather its all drag and drop, am I correct in assuming this?

I'm aware of the m3 simply is a clone, I will buy which ever one is avaliable/cheaper when im ordering :p

Thanks for all the great info so far everyone
If you get the M3 Simply, you will be able to run SNES and NES emulators (NDS is not emulated, it is actually *run*). However, you should know now that the emulation scene for the NDS is not nearly what it is for the GP2X, and that SNES emulation is very lacking right now. This is the same with all cards, as it is a fault of the NDS's power itself.

With the M3 Simply, you won't have to patch anything, though you may want to for extra features. Patching is not difficult at all, it's drag-and-drop into a program menu -- you will eventually be able to do it. You don't have to flash your DS for any Slot-1 or Slot-2 card.

SNES emulation is very lacking right now. This is the same with all cards, as it is a fault of the NDS's power itself.
The compatibility is a bit worse on the DS, but where it does work - the speed is incredible. I play Mario World and Donkey Kong Country with no problems.

ok thanks guys for all the info
I walked to the game store today and found out they still have no Ds's left from Chrimbo :( I'll have to wait i guess.

BTW, anyone here played the game Contact? Or recoomend any cool games besides the normal ones like mario kart etc? I want some fun games i can play that put the DS hardware to good use.

DS:
Phoenix Wright 1 and 2
Trauma Center
Brain Age and Big Brain Academy (the games that don't rot your brain =D)
Final Fantasy * (* means all)
Lunar
Metroid/Mario Kart/Super Mario */etc.

Ehh... I don't know the DS library much.

GBA:
Zelda Minish Cap
Rhythm Tengoku (Japanese but no language barrier)

you should know now that the emulation scene for the NDS is not nearly what it is for the GP2X, and that SNES emulation is very lacking right now. This is the same with all cards, as it is a fault of the NDS's power itself.
No, the only problems are graphics issues because the emulators are early versions and inaccurate. The DS' power is what determines how fast the games run-- and in this case, it's much, much faster than on the GP2X. Compatibility just isn't as good right now.

iignotus said:
To do that, you need a Slot-2 cart, such as the Supercard lite (and NOT rumble), to use as a memory pack in conjunction with the Slot-1 cart. There is no other way to run the Opera browser than by using a Slot-1 and Slot-2 card in tandem.
Last I checked, it will ONLY work with the RAM cartridge included with the browser. The M3 and Supercard's onboard RAM is not supported. The ROM will need to be hacked to change what address it looks for memory at, I suspect-- an empty RAM cartridge has nothing on it at the start of GBA ROM space. At the start of an M3 or SuperCard device's ROM space, there is a program (the firmware.) That's why it won't work right out of the box as you suggest.

iignotus said:
Last I checked, it will ONLY work with the RAM cartridge included with the browser. The M3 and Supercard's onboard RAM is not supported. The ROM will need to be hacked to change what address it looks for memory at, I suspect-- an empty RAM cartridge has nothing on it at the start of GBA ROM space. At the start of an M3 or SuperCard device's ROM space, there is a program (the firmware.) That's why it won't work right out of the box as you suggest.
No, like I said, it works just fine with an S1 and S2 card combination, as long as the S2 card is either Supercard (not rumble) or M3. There's a patch out there to get it to run using the cards' built-in memory. That way people can, you know, pirate the rom instead of buying it and simply saving space by using the ROM B)
BTW, anyone here played the game Contact? Or recoomend any cool games besides the normal ones like mario kart etc? I want some fun games i can play that put the DS hardware to good use.
I played Contact. So far I don't like it, but I haven't really given it a chance yet with only 1hr of playtime. Two good games that I started playing that aren't very popular are Dragon Quest Heroes - Rocket Slime and Lostmagic. My favorite games for the NDS right now are Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Phoenix Wright, Cooking Mama, Brain Age, Meteos, Super Mario Kart (duh), Elite Beat Agents, and Yoshi's Island DS.

After seeing a recommendation for it elsewhere the game that's getting the most time on my DS is ZOOKEEPER, it's definitely worth trying out.

ok thanks guys for all the info
I walked to the game store today and found out they still have no Ds's left from Chrimbo :( I'll have to wait i guess.

I just went on youtube and watched some stuff and decided from there :)

No, like I said, it works just fine with an S1 and S2 card combination, as long as the S2 card is either Supercard (not rumble) or M3. There's a patch out there to get it to run using the cards' built-in memory. That way people can, you know, pirate the rom instead of buying it and simply saving space by using the ROM B)

Ah, last I'd checked such a patch didn't yet exist. Mind posting where you got it? (or perhaps you could e-mail it to me or something; epicenter713@gmail.com if you don't mind, I'd really appreciate it.) Since it's a PATCH and not a ROM image posting it should be within all forum rules.

Ah, last I'd checked such a patch didn't yet exist. Mind posting where you got it? (or perhaps you could e-mail it to me or something; epicenter713@gmail.com if you don't mind, I'd really appreciate it.) Since it's a PATCH and not a ROM image posting it should be within all forum rules.
Oh god, now I have to search for it :lol:

I was wondering, just how bad is gba support/compatibility with the supercard? I don't mind long loading/booting times for the games (heard it has to load the games to the slow built in ram of the supercard), but how about game performance? Is it as bad as something like say gba emulation on xbox (slowdown here and there with most games)? And does it affect majority of the games? (games I'm interested in are the final fantasies: tactics and dawn of souls, zelda minish cap, metroid games and fire emblem series).

Back