Dutch Pandora Community


katmai539

Still Fresh
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
8
Hello, i'm new here and i don't know how to say this, but the OpenPandora project appeals to me so much I would like to start building a Dutch community around the OpenPandora. My question is, can I just do that? I know how an internet community works, speak English fluently and i'm able to set up and afford a domain name with appropiate webspace. I just don't know where to start, who to inform and stuff and if it's even possible and/or allowed... Any tips? :unsure:

EDIT.: I'm talking about an official Pandora community here...
 

Yos-T

Still Fresh
Joined
Aug 3, 2007
Messages
16
Hi,
I think you should look at www.gpark.nl. It's the Dutch distributor for the GP2X and there's also a Dutch GP2X community. It's probably the best place for a Dutch Pandora community.
I don;t think it would be a good idea to start typing in other languages on this forum.
Regards,
Yos-T
 

katmai539

Still Fresh
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
8
Yos-T said:
Hi,
I think you should look at www.gpark.nl. It's the Dutch distributor for the GP2X and there's also a Dutch GP2X community. It's probably the best place for a Dutch Pandora community.
I don;t think it would be a good idea to start typing in other languages on this forum.
Regards,
Yos-T
No no I was talking about a whole new community website, but I noticed gpark's admin already registered openpandora.nl :( isn't gpark.nl about the GameParkHoldings console only? Maybe I should have a talk with Derek. Maybe he'll let me buy the domainname :)

Anyway, let's say I start up a website like that, do i have to ask permission from the Pandora's developers or something like that?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Nobax

Still Fresh
Joined
Sep 13, 2008
Messages
16
Hai Guis ! (pun intended)

Another Dutch Pandora-fan reporting in. Just for the kicks.
 

Caine

Hardcore Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
4,138
Location
Netherlands
It would only split the community. We speak English anyway.

Having pandora related discussions in multiple communities only increases the required effort to track all the news.
 

Yannick

Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
345
Age
37
Location
West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Caine said:
It would only split the community. We speak English anyway.

Having pandora related discussions in multiple communities only increases the required effort to track all the news.
Given how much appreciation there is on this board for people asking n00b questions in broken English, I'd say localized forums are the way to go.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MarcelP102

Still Fresh
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
28
Location
Netherlands
Website
Visit site
I have the experience of making an community site, my currently project is www.wii-media.nl a Dutch Wii homebrew/hack site.

I don’t think a Dutch site will work for now, but when the pandora is out for like say 0.5 year than there are enough Dutch people that own a pandora so than it's wurth to make a dutch pandora site.

---
Katmaï, Ik wil best een keer een site voor de pandora maken, je zou dan wel nieuwsposter/moderator kunnen worden.

Groete, MarcelP02 medeadmin wii-media
 

katmai539

Still Fresh
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
8
MarcelP102 said:
I have the experience of making an community site, my currently project is www.wii-media.nl a Dutch Wii homebrew/hack site.

I don’t think a Dutch site will work for now, but when the pandora is out for like say 0.5 year than there are enough Dutch people that own a pandora so than it's wurth to make a dutch pandora site.

---
Katmaï, Ik wil best een keer een site voor de pandora maken, je zou dan wel nieuwsposter/moderator kunnen worden.

Groete, MarcelP02 medeadmin wii-media



Isn't it way more effective when the site already exists in that half year? :) Anyway, i can make sites myself, but thanks. I think i'm gonna start up the website anyhow. If it can't be official, then so be it. I'm registering www.openpandoranederland.nl right now. If openpandora.nl may ever come free, that'd be cool :) I also sent an email to Derek (of gp2x.nl) regarding his plans with the domainname and stuff.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kyo

Very Active Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2007
Messages
1,051
Location
Germany
Website
Visit site
I'm not really dutch, but I could host the thing (but not actually administrate, as I do not speak dutch, so that would be the job of someone else). It'd be my way of showing appreciation to the pandora project (as there already is an excellent german pandora community)
 

katmai539

Still Fresh
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
8
Kyosys said:
I'm not really dutch, but I could host the thing (but not actually administrate, as I do not speak dutch, so that would be the job of someone else). It'd be my way of showing appreciation to the pandora project (as there already is an excellent german pandora community)
That'd be great! :D I can't wait to have my hands on the Pandora ^^
 
Last edited by a moderator:

cosam

Active Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2008
Messages
703
Location
Netherlands
Website
www.cosam.org
Katmaï said:
I would like to start building a Dutch community around the OpenPandora.
I guess there already is a Dutch community - they just don't know each other yet!

As for setting up your site: I'd say go for it. You'll never know if it'll take off unless you just go ahead and do it. As others have pointed out, the English resources are practically just as accessible for most Dutch users, but hopefully a dedicated site/forum/whatever can offer something extra (like maybe even arranging offline events, etc.).

You don't need any kind of special permission to set something like this up, although it would be polite to at least announce its existence and the actual launch. If you really want to set up an "official" community (whatever that may be) you should get in touch with Craig.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

w1ll14m

Still Fresh
Joined
Sep 19, 2008
Messages
30
I still think this would spilt the community, which is always bad.
I would create a Dutch sub forum under support on the existing OpenPandora forum.

Groeten (Regards),
William
 

katmai539

Still Fresh
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
8
Hosting is no problem no more. I've found a host, registered the domainname and now I have to wait 'till I get back in Amsterdam, because our school's proxy blocks FTP :(

QUOTE
If you really want to set up an "official" community (whatever that may be) you should get in touch with Craig.


Yes that's exactly what i'm trying to do :D So how do I? :unsure:
 
Top