Dutch Pandora Community

katmai539

Still Fresh
Hello, i'm new here and i don't know how to say this, but the OpenPandora project appeals to me so much I would like to start building a Dutch community around the OpenPandora. My question is, can I just do that? I know how an internet community works, speak English fluently and i'm able to set up and afford a domain name with appropiate webspace. I just don't know where to start, who to inform and stuff and if it's even possible and/or allowed... Any tips? :unsure:

EDIT.: I'm talking about an official Pandora community here...

Hi,
I think you should look at www.gpark.nl. It's the Dutch distributor for the GP2X and there's also a Dutch GP2X community. It's probably the best place for a Dutch Pandora community.
I don;t think it would be a good idea to start typing in other languages on this forum.
Regards,
Yos-T

Yos-T said:
Hi,
I think you should look at www.gpark.nl. It's the Dutch distributor for the GP2X and there's also a Dutch GP2X community. It's probably the best place for a Dutch Pandora community.
I don;t think it would be a good idea to start typing in other languages on this forum.
Regards,
Yos-T
No no I was talking about a whole new community website, but I noticed gpark's admin already registered openpandora.nl :( isn't gpark.nl about the GameParkHoldings console only? Maybe I should have a talk with Derek. Maybe he'll let me buy the domainname :)

Anyway, let's say I start up a website like that, do i have to ask permission from the Pandora's developers or something like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hai Guis ! (pun intended)

Another Dutch Pandora-fan reporting in. Just for the kicks.

It would only split the community. We speak English anyway.

Having pandora related discussions in multiple communities only increases the required effort to track all the news.

Caine said:
It would only split the community. We speak English anyway.

Having pandora related discussions in multiple communities only increases the required effort to track all the news.
Given how much appreciation there is on this board for people asking n00b questions in broken English, I'd say localized forums are the way to go.

I have the experience of making an community site, my currently project is www.wii-media.nl a Dutch Wii homebrew/hack site.

I don’t think a Dutch site will work for now, but when the pandora is out for like say 0.5 year than there are enough Dutch people that own a pandora so than it's wurth to make a dutch pandora site.

---
Katmaï, Ik wil best een keer een site voor de pandora maken, je zou dan wel nieuwsposter/moderator kunnen worden.

Groete, MarcelP02 medeadmin wii-media

MarcelP102 said:
I have the experience of making an community site, my currently project is www.wii-media.nl a Dutch Wii homebrew/hack site.

I don’t think a Dutch site will work for now, but when the pandora is out for like say 0.5 year than there are enough Dutch people that own a pandora so than it's wurth to make a dutch pandora site.

---
Katmaï, Ik wil best een keer een site voor de pandora maken, je zou dan wel nieuwsposter/moderator kunnen worden.

Groete, MarcelP02 medeadmin wii-media

Isn't it way more effective when the site already exists in that half year? :) Anyway, i can make sites myself, but thanks. I think i'm gonna start up the website anyhow. If it can't be official, then so be it. I'm registering www.openpandoranederland.nl right now. If openpandora.nl may ever come free, that'd be cool :) I also sent an email to Derek (of gp2x.nl) regarding his plans with the domainname and stuff.

I'm not really dutch, but I could host the thing (but not actually administrate, as I do not speak dutch, so that would be the job of someone else). It'd be my way of showing appreciation to the pandora project (as there already is an excellent german pandora community)

Kyosys said:
I'm not really dutch, but I could host the thing (but not actually administrate, as I do not speak dutch, so that would be the job of someone else). It'd be my way of showing appreciation to the pandora project (as there already is an excellent german pandora community)
That'd be great! :D I can't wait to have my hands on the Pandora ^^

Katmaï said:
I would like to start building a Dutch community around the OpenPandora.
I guess there already is a Dutch community - they just don't know each other yet!

As for setting up your site: I'd say go for it. You'll never know if it'll take off unless you just go ahead and do it. As others have pointed out, the English resources are practically just as accessible for most Dutch users, but hopefully a dedicated site/forum/whatever can offer something extra (like maybe even arranging offline events, etc.).

You don't need any kind of special permission to set something like this up, although it would be polite to at least announce its existence and the actual launch. If you really want to set up an "official" community (whatever that may be) you should get in touch with Craig.

I still think this would spilt the community, which is always bad.
I would create a Dutch sub forum under support on the existing OpenPandora forum.

Groeten (Regards),
William

Hosting is no problem no more. I've found a host, registered the domainname and now I have to wait 'till I get back in Amsterdam, because our school's proxy blocks FTP :(

If you really want to set up an "official" community (whatever that may be) you should get in touch with Craig.

Yes that's exactly what i'm trying to do :D So how do I? :unsure:

Back