E911?

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
Will the Pyra support E911? I think in order to be sold in the US, it legally has to. But the penalties seem to apply to the phone network carriers, not the manufacturers, so I could be wrong. Devices not sold by the carrier might not have to.

I thought the new emergency number was 0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Kidding aside I'm unaware that it does (it is being advertised as a data modem not a phone right?) and likely shouldn't have to in its case. Are there certain Pyras being sold without a cell radio?

Yes, the standard units don't have cellular comms on board. I'm not sure any laptop with a SIM card slot will let you call the emergency services on it either, but if that's a requirement I'm not sure how they get around this.

Devices that can't make or receive calls aren't required to support it. But if it uses the cell network to make calls it has to. The information on the PLS8 says it supports it, but I want to know if it automatically supports it internally, or if the phone software on the PyraOS has to do something special.

Will the Pyra support E911? I think in order to be sold in the US, it legally has to.
What is the requirement? Isn't it a software thing ? (for models with cell modem)
I think qtMoko will let you dial 911 before entering the SIM code, but the phone number here is 112 so I haven't tried (not a good number for test, anyway).

I'd imagine if you just woke it up and asked to open a call to 911/999/whatever emergency number you use it should do that regardless of whether it's got a SIM installed or not. As far as we know at this stage it's a fairly self-sufficient part, and if you just poke it with the right Hayes/AT commands it'll do the right thing.

E911 means the modem sends emergency services your location when you call 911. That way if you can't talk for some reason, they can still help you.

Oh, right. That's new to me. I'm not sure off the top of my head whether the GPS circuity is within the cell chip or a separate chip. If it's a separate chip on a separate bus, the CPU will almost certainly have to do something to encode that location in the call somehow. Presumably there's a specification for that bitstream out there somewhere?

e911 is required for data modems? That doesn't seem logical. Sure, if the Pyra were a phone, then I could see it... but it's not a phone. I doubt my wifi hotspot has e911 ability.

The Pyra has the ability to make phone calls, I'm pretty sure under the law that makes it a phone.
[doublepost=1520452483,1520452378][/doublepost]But I'm not really worried about the law, I'm worried about if I use it to call 911. I would like to have the E911 working in case I need it. That's all I'm wondering about. I'm sure the Pyra is fine legally.

I am more worried about how to stop evil trolling devs (like me) from calling the police for you.
I have some kind of simulative game in mind that at one point switches the AI with a real emergency person with the objective to yell at him.

The Pyra has the ability to make phone calls, I'm pretty sure under the law that makes it a phone.
[doublepost=1520452483,1520452378][/doublepost]But I'm not really worried about the law, I'm worried about if I use it to call 911. I would like to have the E911 working in case I need it. That's all I'm wondering about. I'm sure the Pyra is fine legally.

To my understanding, the Pyra is being sold as a (relatively) open handheld computer with 4G data connection. Not marketed as a 'phone'. That the chip has a hypothetical capability to make phone calls and that the community chooses to cobble things together such that the Pyra could send/receive calls still doesn't make it a device sold as a 'Phone'. IMHO - not a lawyer.

I think the modem already covers this.

3u7tCMdlZMDK.png

-God Ginrai

I think the modem already covers this.

3u7tCMdlZMDK.png

-God Ginrai

Yeah I saw that. I'm hoping that means it's handled automatically, and not in userspace.

I would not expect it to be 'automatic' any more than I would expect GPS or phone call or SMS to be 'automatic'. Having functionality present in the system is one thing - making it work will still likely require a software component.

I dunno, if it has that functionality advertised and you initiate a call to the emergency services, as I understand the legislation (that is not at all really) it should recognise what you're doing and send the location data. The only question in my mind is whether we have any control over what data source it uses; the rules say it can use triangulation data, or timed deltas from two or more stations (?) or full GPS coordinates, or another method I don't understand at all I think. Maybe if we haven't turned on the GPS and it doesn't have a satellite lock, it'll fall back to the older methods I dunno.

Back