Emulator Performance?

HeavyMetal84

Still Fresh
Hello. I just discovered these GP2X systems and they sound awesome. I've been playing SNES games on my PSP and most of them are really slow. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a GP2X. But just how well do these things run emulators? I mainly want to play SNES games on it. What's the best SNES emulator for the GP2X and where can I find it? I saw a couple YouTube video's where the SNES games ran unconsistantly, they would speed up at times. Has this been fixed? Also, are the emulators and roms simple to install on the GP2X?

HeavyMetal84 said:
Hello. I just discovered these GP2X systems and they sound awesome. I've been playing SNES games on my PSP and most of them are really slow. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a GP2X. But just how well do these things run emulators? I mainly want to play SNES games on it. What's the best SNES emulator for the GP2X and where can I find it? I saw a couple YouTube video's where the SNES games ran unconsistantly, they would speed up at times. Has this been fixed? Also, are the emulators and roms simple to install on the GP2X?
Hi

I've got my GP2x few days ago ; and playing Snes games one of the main reasons for my purchase.
There are 2 good emulators : Squidgesnes and Drpocketsnes on GP2X. I personally liked drpocketsnes better ; and most of my favourite games - FF4 , Chrono Trigger,Castlevania,Super Puyo Puyo etc - run very good or nearly perfect. I think transparencies are still not very good and games need fx chip are not playable ; but , to come a conclusion, with clock speed of 250 ; most games work like a charm

Last edited by a moderator:
There used to be a problem with SNES emulation, with SquidgeSNES many games barely work, however, with DrPocketSNES, you can get nearly any game running near perfectly. I used to have transparancy issues with Squidge but with DrPocketSNES, it's worked perfectly.

DTH said:
i thought SNES was better on the psp :S
I think SNES is faster on PSP, but it looks blurry and the screen ghosts too much.

I would recommend just sticking with the PSP its much better made then gp2x and it has way more homebrew and a ton more developers for it. The XMB is also much better then the gp2x's OS. and SnesTYL runs SNES games perfectly.

I can't speak for PSP, but most everything I've played on the 2X either:
A ) works fine, maybe slightly jumpy in the more intense games, or
B ) does not load, period (very few of these)

Speaking of games that don't load, Marvelous: Another Treasure Island is one that I'd really love to see playable. It's one of the tricky ones, even ZSNES didn't support it well until recently. And I doubt anyone here, or most places, has ever heard of it. It's Japanese only, no fan-made patch, practically no "fans" at all from what I see. But it's a cool game nonetheless.

Stick with the PSP, at this point it is better to wait for the GP3X. Although the GP2X can play most games at a decent speed, the PSP has does the same thing faster, and it supports more games, such as Super Mario RPG, and Kirby SuperStar. It looks like its going to stay this way. Plus the GP2X is pretty has even worse battery life than PSP, will only get about 2 hours of play compared to the 4 the PSP has.

---
If you know how to use a SD card reader, then yes it is simple to install the emulators. Just put it in the SD card along with some roms and it works.

i am just going to say this gp2x has some things going for it but also dos the psp
gp2x emulate some things better but also dose the psp
it is just mater of person prefersens
i like gp2x more than psp
psp screen ghost streting and the witescreen are just note what i like

B) :gp2x

apgunner said:
I would recommend just sticking with the PSP its much better made then gp2x and it has way more homebrew and a ton more developers for it. The XMB is also much better then the gp2x's OS. and SnesTYL runs SNES games perfectly.
Way more homebrew? The GP2X has alot of homebrew as well. The PSP may have more devs but the GP2X devs are some of the best. Plus the PSP's ghosty screen doesn't lend itself to scrollers in emus very well. XMB is better than GP2X stock menu yes but Gmenu2X blows away the PSP XMB for useability. Scrolling through animated icons one by one is super clunky and sloooooooooooow on the PSP, looks nice but is shit if you have more than 5 apps/emus on your card ;)

also there's a lot of bull that you have to go through loading apps on the PSP, because everything has to be called eboot, and you need two copies of every folder, and then the other copy shows up as corrupt, so then you need to hack the menu to get rid of those (which i never got working). plus having to use the usb connection to load files, since i'll be damned if i'm gonna shell out for a memory stick pro reader...

and that was only after i hunted down an old copy of gta:lcs on ebay so i could flash the firmware.

i haven't tried out most of the emulators, but my little experience with snes on the psp was that it's no better than gp2x, except for the "benefit" of a screen that lets you choose between tiny native res or kind-of blurry bilinear upscaling.

psp is awesome for playstation. and it's really nice in general. but i barely use mine. usually i just don't feel like jumping through flaming hoops just to put a homebrew game or emu on there. especially when i've got w&w and sqdef waiting for me on the 2x!

rokdcasbah said:
also there's a lot of bull that you have to go through loading apps on the PSP, because everything has to be called eboot, and you need two copies of every folder, and then the other copy shows up as corrupt, so then you need to hack the menu to get rid of those (which i never got working).
No you don't, unless you're using firmware 1.5 for some reason...

rokdcasbah said:
plus having to use the usb connection to load files, since i'll be damned if i'm gonna shell out for a memory stick pro reader...
Not much different than shelling out for an SD card reader, but at least PSP's USB is USB 2.0. Copying things to GP2X is very slow (I don't have a working SD card so I have to copy to NAND..)

rokdcasbah said:
and that was only after i hunted down an old copy of gta:lcs on ebay so i could flash the firmware.

i haven't tried out most of the emulators, but my little experience with snes on the psp was that it's no better than gp2x, except for the "benefit" of a screen that lets you choose between tiny native res or kind-of blurry bilinear upscaling.

psp is awesome for playstation. and it's really nice in general. but i barely use mine. usually i just don't feel like jumping through flaming hoops just to put a homebrew game or emu on there. especially when i've got w&w and sqdef waiting for me on the 2x!
The main thing that keeps me not wanting to use (and that means develop) on PSP is the lack of telnet and standard stuff through that.. there's PSPLink but I haven't gotten that to work right at all without completely bugging out. I just want a console....

If you have enough money, you should buy the new GP2x - F200 with Touchscreen (ok the touchscreen is not very useful for snes but maybe you like ScummVM :D )
I have played SNES on the PSP, it runs with 300mhz the games, like my GP2x with 200mhz and i think the emu on the gp2x can be improoved :D but for PSone you will be better with your PSP.

Or you wait some months (i hope) and you can buy the new openSource Handheld (name is already unknown), which will be more powerfull than the PSP!!!!
If we have luck, it can maybe emulate N64 at a playable speed (at this time, it is speculation); But SNES will run fullspeed on it!

Buy the GP2x with touchscreen, with this you will have more fun with a PSP

OR

You wait for the new machine :D

___________________________---
sorry for my bad english :D :p :eek: ;) :D

Exophase said:
No you don't, unless you're using firmware 1.5 for some reason...
really? i'm using (i think, haven't actually turned it on in some time) 3.11-oe. i should experiment some more. the thing is, i had my gp2x for a long time and was always happy with it, the psp was an impulse buy and i haven't really put it through it's paces yet.

sorry for the misinfo, then.

Exophase said:
Not much different than shelling out for an SD card reader, but at least PSP's USB is USB 2.0. Copying things to GP2X is very slow (I don't have a working SD card so I have to copy to NAND..)
well, if you can't afford 3$, then yes, it's bad.

Back