Excessive Closing Of Topics

u9i said:
I am going to get my comments in quickly before this gets closed.

I think the close button should be completely removed from the board. Instead kick the people who cannot show proper conduct and stop punishing the rest of the minorities lack of manors.

I don't have a manor. Woe is me, eh?

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xian Long said:
Poem58 said:
Then awhile back a new person asked a question and it was pointed out to them that the subject had been discussed many months ago and they shouldn't have posted a new topic. So the next new person who likely saw this discussion searched back and found the pertinent thread, posted and was yelled at for resurrecting an old thread.
yes, that person (excited.) should not have created a new topic, i tried doing a search myself of the term he wanted, and the question had been answered in that thread, it was very easy. he was yelled out for resurrecting the old thread because he didn't have a good reason to revive it. if he had some new information of importance, creating a new topic would have been okay, or at least that's what i think.

Poem58 said:
Honestly, the posting "rules" around here are, while not necessarily wrong, are way more strict than any board I have ever been on. The confusion about failed searches and when it's OK to bring up a subject versus reviving an old one etc. are just beyond me. Being a mod for a message board, all I an say is I am kinda glad we don't have 4000+ people using our forum all the time. The only time we have ever intervened and closed or removed a topic is when things became vulgar or threatening etc. Otherwise we let people say what they need to say, we feel having one big angry thread is better than 20 small closed angry threads.
I suspect however, then once we get our Pandora's in hand, things will calm down and be much less stressful, especially for the mods. Complaints will be few if any, and it will be back to the earlier days of some new person asking if they can run Windows 7 and run Crysis. :D
i actually think the rules on this forum are pretty lenient or at least mild compared to some other ones i browse. i believe it's judged on if the poster thought it through and how much effort they put in to spend five minutes searching.

I do believe you are referring to the one that posted just recently while the one from awhile back left right after being lambasted, all because he clearly didn't understand how the other guy was wrong and so was he. I almost left and canceled my order right after posting for the first time when everybody told me my question about the TV out cable was clearly that it was S-video only and I should have searched better and would have known that, yet the reality of the situation was they were ALL WRONG, my search DID lead me to believe there was a composite cable, and my post did clarify that when Chip posted it was in fact S-video AND composite. Sometimes, when people try to do the right thing, they don't always have the same success someone else has, I was upset by being told I was dumb for not understanding what S-video ONLY meant, yet I was right in my asking about it as it got the whole truth out there.
My main point I guess is that so few people ever search message boards. Boards like this one have years of topics and it can be confusing at times to make heads or tails of some results especially when things change over time. There will always be people who will never think to search, search improperly etc. That doesn't make them wrong. Just not used to the system of a board like this. This is in fact the only board I have EVER seen that people post why they edited their post. Still don't get that one, how does pointing out I made a spelling mistake or left out a word help? Yeah, there are MUCH worse boards, some related to the one I moderate on actually chastise or ban you if you say anything less than positively rosy happy-happy thoughts about the Band we enjoy listening to. It's ridiculous and sickening. Heck, if you even post a tour date you read in the paper they threaten you as it's "not official" unless they the mods post it themselves. Now THAT is a strict board....lol

Speaking of closing threads....what ever happened to that "PoisonedV" character? Seemed he was always getting in it with someone...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Continue this discussion in Off topic if you want, but it's not really Pandora related and I'm sure the people checking for new topics don't want to see this one popping up all the time.

Back