Explaining The Pandora

mali said:
@script
Sounds ok, I'd cut out the China part, though. And the Flash player comment is a bit misleading, imo. This is meant to make a point against Apple, but saying "you" can port your Flash player is addressed at Adobe, while the video as a whole is addressed at the buyer.

Any why would you cut out the China part? I keep hearing this. People are scared of it.

Is your head in the sand about Chinese working conditions Mali?

It's the truth and it's a very very big stick we can hit bigger companies with.

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
@script
Sounds ok, I'd cut out the China part, though. And the Flash player comment is a bit misleading, imo. This is meant to make a point against Apple, but saying "you" can port your Flash player is addressed at Adobe, while the video as a whole is addressed at the buyer.
Ditto

Yes the china part is a bit much I think, you did do the cases in china. But maybe you could add something about the community and support. I for one think thats a great bonus for the pandora. (thanks for the quick replacement of my broken unit)

Bosbeetle said:
Yes the china part is a bit much I think. But maybe you could add something about the community and support. I for one think thats a great bonus for the pandora. (thanks for the quick replacement of my broken unit)

Why is it a bit much? It's true.

People just seem to not want to address it, is it because all your electronics are made there?

Explain to me why we should not speak about it? Have you ever been to an Asian assembly factory? I have.

You know those people who don't eat sausages because they used to work in a factory making them? It's like that.

craigix said:
Bosbeetle said:
Yes the china part is a bit much I think. But maybe you could add something about the community and support. I for one think thats a great bonus for the pandora. (thanks for the quick replacement of my broken unit)

People just seem to not want to address it, is it because all your electronics are made there?

Explain to me why we should not speak about it? Have you ever been to an Asian assembly factory? I have.

You know those people who don't eat sausages because they used to work in a factory making them? It's like that.

Well mostly because you did make parts of pandora in china. Don't get me wrong it is a good thing that its adressed however it does give some sort of strange connotation "china = bad" Maybe you can say that it was produced in a human friendly manner, no humans were hurt (emotianly nor physically) making the pandora :D

Bosbeetle said:
craigix said:
Bosbeetle said:

Well mostly because you did make parts of pandora in china.

Only the case, and were moving production to Hexham, UK as soon as we can.

Assembly is a very different thing to CNC machines cutting out our case, but we did learn our lesson there.

Bosbeetle said:

That's the point. As long as it's not clear cut, you shouldn't emphasise on it, imo.

craigix said:
Bosbeetle said:
craigix said:
Bosbeetle said:

Assembly is a very different thing to CNC machines cutting out our case, but we did learn our lesson there.

Yes I know however if the general public does happen to look into the forum and they see all the china/case topics I think there going to be at least confused. Great news about moving case production to england though :D

craigix said:
Any why would you cut out the China part? I keep hearing this. People are scared of it.

The problem is, IMHO, is that a lot of the stuff STILL comes from china. Where is the components produced? The PCBs? The chemicals used for etching the PCBs?

Somewhere in the chain of production there most like is a sad Chinese(or other country) lad or lass that is thinking about killing themselves. If you DID make it big and were a problem to bigger competitors they would focus on this. Is it fair? Hell no, you guys do whatever you can to limit the problem with "slave" labour - but fairness is not really important to your competitors.

skovsende said:
craigix said:

The problem is, IMHO, is that a lot of the stuff STILL comes from china. Where is the components produced? The PCBs? The chemicals used for etching the PCBs?

Somewhere in the chain of production there most like is a sad Chinese(or other country) lad or lass that is thinking about killing themselves. If you DID make it big and were a problem to bigger competitors they would focus on this. Is it fair? Hell no, you guys do whatever you can to limit the problem with "slave" labour - but fairness is not really important to your competitors.

Yes, I agree that TI probably do use some Chinese companies to make components, but I'm talking about assembly. That's the main part, those are often the worst working conditions, and the only part we can really do something about.

While other British companies are moving assembly to China I want to make a point of keeping it in the UK.

I can probably adjust the text to suit that, but I think it needs to be left in.

LOL CRAIG! I saw the start of your post thinking 'ok here we go' but by the end I was LAUGHING MY ASS OFF. it's not racixst if you like it; Or was that rape? Eh. USE IT. DO IT. I You *MADE MY DAY*, something that just don't happen much anymore.

Headcrash, thanks for your reply. I don't think the pandora shouldn't be used in the way you've described, but like another poster said "cut the marketing BS until all initial 1st batch users see their pandoras", wait till people that can expand the pandora get them, and don't WORRY about the absolute noobs. If we make it overly user-friendly it won't be Pandora: The Hacker's Choice, it'll be Pandora: the fag's LAMER'S choice.
EDIT: language! Not removed but striked out...idk, lemme know if I should get rid of it completely
EDIT2: Oh yeah, and remove the Flash bit, it'll just bring nay-sayers complaining of false advertising, etc, because it's not here RIGHT NOW, even tho you say 'you can port your flash'.

craigix said:
skovsende said:
craigix said:

Yes, I agree that TI probably do use some Chinese companies to make components, but I'm talking about assembly. That's the main part, those are often the worst working conditions, and the only part we can really do something about.

While other British companies are moving assembly to China I want to make a point of keeping it in the UK.

I can probably adjust the text to suit that, but I think it needs to be left in.

I would be very careful in how you word it then, because it does come over a little hypocritical when we know for a fact that at least the cases were manufactured in China... (Intended as contructive criticism, not a dig...)

craigix said:
we can build them better and faster with less people.
You'll be crucified. "Faster than what?" is what they'll ask.

I agree the China issue is worth addressing, but hard hitting points don't have to mean hard hitting delivery. You can make your point just as well with subtext, and without opening yourself attack.

More from me later, I'm going to have another look at the text.

craigix said:
skovsende said:
craigix said:

Yeah, you should make it clear you are reffering to the assembly aspect and that parts of this unit are actually built in China. The way it is worded looks bad in regards to that subject. I agree that a lot of people look down on the Chinese part of business, but you can never put it down unless your device has nothing to do with it. Which in many areas I believe it does. That will come back and bite you in the ass further down the line if it's made into a big deal now.

It may not be built there, but without there cheap labor, it would not have come to be. Personally, I would steer clear of that issue unless 100% of this device was China free, which I doubt it will ever be. You can't pick and choose what is good about China, and what is not. There are many who have issue with that subject.

Chris

Yes you can port your flash player to it, however, nobody did. This is suggesting that flash is supported, which is false.
As a consumer, I would feel betrayed.

Scrap the part about China, makes it sound like you have a political agenda and it will alienate some customers (especially with the aggressive anti communism wording).
Personally, if I want a gadget, I judge it on its technical merits, not how or where it was made.

The Pandora has only been assembled in the UK, most parts come from US/China I believe. Do you really want to push its UK source strongly? Apart from UK citizens, most people probably couldn't care less.

Make clear who you target audience is and if you are talking about the Pandora device or the Pandora project.

The Chinese Factory gave us 8 Months of waiting so China playes indeed a huge role in the Pandora History - not a good one of course. We can't ignore China in that case but we can take is as good (bad) example what can happen when you deal with chinese Companies without having your own people there for controling.

craigix said:
Uh, please make sure for the future, that the chinese Molds really fit in western machines, I've read, that Chinese/US/EU Injection Molding machines are NOT compatible to each other. So before the great crying starts, please check this not unimportant fact. :)

Here's my suggested "cleanup" of the China bit. Does not necessarily represent my own opinions etc etc.

Original:

But that's not only where we think things should change.

Everything is made in China right? The convenient communist slave nation.

Western nations hate the communist menace, well except when they can pay people a bowl of rice a day to assemble their electronics. What's
a few suicides when you get your device for $10 less?

We don't agree with this either. After personally witnessing the conditions of several Asian assembly plants we decided to build the Pandora in England. That's right, jolly old England - the country that used to be the manufacturing power house of the world.

Suggested:

But that's not only where we think things should change.

During the development phase of the Pandora project, we witnessed first hand the working conditions of several Asian assembly plants. Countless thousands of people who would be just like you - except that they are forced to work cruel hours for up to seven days a week, earning in a month what you might spend on a pair of jeans.

We've all heard about the terrible measures some of these workers take to escape the conditions they work in. Yet we all own the products they make, because at the end of they day it saves money. The big companies rake it in, and the consumers (yes, that's all you are to them) get a slightly lower RRP. Everyone wins, right?

We decided not to be a part of this machine. Instead, we set up our assembly line in England. That's right, jolly old England - the country that used to be the manufacturing power house of the world.

Back