Final Burn Alpha Test Build

xmart said:
Great work on this first release Squidge!

So far from the mame 116 romset, I've tested the following at 240mhz:

agallet - returns to gmenu
area88 - working, sound a little choppy
batrider - working, though sound is choppy
batsugun - no sound, runs smoothly though
bbakraid - returns to gmenu
cotton - returns to gmenu
daimakai - working (also ghouls rom works) :)
ddonpach - returns to gmenu
dfevron - returns me to gmenu
dimahoo - hangs on 'open zip'
dogyuun - loads to black screen
donpachi - working, choppy sound
esprade - returns me to gmenu
forgottn - working, though there is no way to rotate
gforce2 - returns to gmenu
gigawing - hangs on 'open zip'
gloc - returns to gmenu
mahoudai - working, sound a little choppy
mercs - working, sound a little choppy
outzone (set1) - not working
outzonea (set2) - working
quartet - returns to gmenu
rchase - returns to gmenu
samuraia - returns to gmenu
sdi - returns to gmenu
sonicbom - returns to gmenu
truxton2 - working
varth - working, sound a little choppy
vfive - working, no sound

I'll throw some more on there soon, though my cradle just arrived B)
For all your pb you can check by telnet if you have or not the correct romset for Final Burn Alpha Plus
Example dogyuun work on my gp2x :p but without sound

Last edited by a moderator:
For Batsugun and VFive the newest MAME still doesn't support sound in those games. I think it's still due to protection, so at least it's one thing Squidge doesn't have to worry about. BTW thank you so much Squidge for working on this. Next pay day there will be a nice donation coming your way. Also, is Zodtt going to be picking this up from you later on since he's busy now, or is this just going to be your project from now on?

JyCet said:
For all your pb you can check by telnet if you have or not the correct romset for Final Burn Alpha Plus
How do I check via telnet? I'm using the same mame116 roms in FBA 0.2.96.71 on my PC without problems, so I was guessing that they may not be supported yet in this first build, or perhaps not working due to memory issues.

JyCet said:
Is this Emu here one of these who only accept specific roms? :( Hm, I thought this problem was solved, but I hope it's not that extreme like the taste of the NEOGEO emu on gp2X (which gave me many sleepless nights because of Rom-version incompatibilities ) :lol:

fusion_power said:
JyCet said:
Is this Emu here one of these who only accept specific roms? :( Hm, I thought this problem was solved, but I hope it's not that extreme like the taste of the NEOGEO emu on gp2X (which gave me many sleepless nights because of Rom-version incompatibilities ) :lol:

It's a beta .. a test version. You need to supply command-line parameters, use Gmenu2X, it's easy :)

Yod4z said:
upoko.zip from mame 116 romset is not compatible. To modify the mame 116 rom you have to download uopokoj.zip and extrat the files, rename them to u25j.bin and u26j.bin, after that add them to upoko.zip.

DonPachi MAME 116 is not compatible :(

----

I have made a little configuration to use selector, you can download it here. Vol +/- overclock.

Thanks. Now I know what I did wrong. I downloaded the latest FBA version but that was only an update and not the complete archive ;) Duh.

Looks really nice and smooth for many games. Is there a parameter or command in SELECTOR to turn the volume down? I am afraid I will blow them out at that volume. Or maybe there is a way to set the default to lower than MAX? I read someone talking about setting it, but they didn't mention how.

Also is there a way to use the volume buttons for FIRE like MAME, CPS2 do? It is kind of awkward to hook your hand around to the top to reach the buttons (vertical shooters). I know it is only a first release if not but something to consider for the future.

Good work , pretty impressive especially for such a short time in development. Thanks :)

Remember, when you test this great emulator (it's impressive), that THIS IS NOT "Final Burn Alpha", this is "Final Burn Alpha Plus" which support much less games than the "parent" build.

Yours,

xenon_soft said:
Remember, when you test this great emulator (it's impressive), that THIS IS NOT "Final Burn Alpha", this is "Final Burn Alpha Plus" which support much less games than the "parent" build.

Yours,
hence plus means minus, this is alike those medical tests, where negative means positive

DaveC said:
Yod4z said:
upoko.zip from mame 116 romset is not compatible. To modify the mame 116 rom you have to download uopokoj.zip and extrat the files, rename them to u25j.bin and u26j.bin, after that add them to upoko.zip.

DonPachi MAME 116 is not compatible :(

----

I have made a little configuration to use selector, you can download it here. Vol +/- overclock.

Thanks. Now I know what I did wrong. I downloaded the latest FBA version but that was only an update and not the complete archive ;) Duh.

Looks really nice and smooth for many games. Is there a parameter or command in SELECTOR to turn the volume down? I am afraid I will blow them out at that volume. Or maybe there is a way to set the default to lower than MAX? I read someone talking about setting it, but they didn't mention how.

selector use the volume button to overclock and don't support special commande to change the volume maybe there's some software for gp2x that can change the voluem and i can add them to the commande line of Selector.

so.. what games will this emulator play, that
1. havent been emulated elsewhere
2. are worth checking out
sorry but i havent heard anything about fba ><
is there any sort of game list for this emulator somewhere?
thanks for help

To those mentioning the volume WHICH IS A LITTLE LOUD AS DEFAULT, those using Gmenu can set the volume for FBA2X in its preferences, that's what I did and it works a treat.

Only tried Truxton2 on this so far but bugger me if I wasn't impressed with this! Excellent work for a test build! :ph34r:

Squidge i think that would be interesting to have a dat file like in MAME to find the correct roms.I have the game list, i know the Not Working and the working without sound but some games that suppose to be working are not working really.Maybe the is because the beta state of the emulator or maybe i need a mame rom from 0.36 or 0.90 instead of one from 0.115 o 0.116 .

Anyway thank you very much for the emulator :) it is very fast indeed, a speed limiter is needded, some games (the most) run like 120 fps :D

More comments:

-When i launch a game the screen goes brighter and blacks become grey.

-A way to exit from the emulator pressing a button or a combo buttons is really needed.

-I have seen VSYNC seems to be ON (if my eyes haven´t fail to me) and like emulator speed is faster than "Flash" i think would be OK to ad "double bufffer" option (if it is posible in this emulator, i dont know it) so sprites artifacts will desappeare :) Anyway with VSYNC ON i am pretty happy :)

-Volume limiter please :D

-The sound quality is like 11 khz or so, we need ay least 22 khz :D

*I know you knew all those things but only wanted to tell you my impressions.

Almost every game i have launched to the emulator and have worked ran more than 60 fps :) Thank you for the "shotters heaven" you have bring to all of us ^___________^

*My english is bad, i know it :D

My suggestions for future versions:

Volume control.

Sound sample rate setting.

Ability to use volume buttons for vertically oriented games. Playing vertical games with the regular buttons while unit is rotated is very awkward and uncomfortable. Volume itself could be set by holding another key like "select" while pressing volume. Or toggle between volume mode and action button mode through a menu or hotkey.

Options to set the scaling to: 1:1, software scale horiz only w/pixel averaging on the columns that are removed only (see CPS2), HW scale horiz only, full screen scale (that I wouldn't use but some would).

Exit command.

In the games i have tested i haven´t notice a problem in aspect ratio.All CPS1 games that in MAME you loose the score and lives here i can see perfect with no deformation in game elements.In Mame you must to deform the image.

I'll just answer a couple now.

Rivroner said:
Squidge i think that would be interesting to have a dat file like in MAME to find the correct roms.I have the game list, i know the Not Working and the working without sound but some games that suppose to be working are not working really.Maybe the is because the beta state of the emulator or maybe i need a mame
Some games require more memory than Linux allows - I need to tweak the large games so they use ram >32mb.

Rivroner said:
-I have seen VSYNC seems to be ON (if my eyes haven´t fail to me) and like emulator speed is faster than "Flash" i think would be OK to ad "double bufffer" option (if it is posible in this emulator, i dont know it) so sprites artifacts will desappeare :) Anyway with VSYNC ON i am pretty happy :)
Actually, it's the other way around :) The emu is double buffered, but sync is not checked before the frames are flipped, so in some games that run fast will cause artifacts due to writing to the visible buffer instead of the invisible one.

DaveC said:
Options to set the scaling to: 1:1, software scale horiz only w/pixel averaging on the columns that are removed only (see CPS2), HW scale horiz only, full screen scale (that I wouldn't use but some would).
At the moment, the only that is used is a software full screen scale. Hardware scale will likely increase speed slightly due to less processor usage.

I'll see if I get change to do any work on it this weekend.

Squidge said:
Some games require more memory than Linux allows - I need to tweak the large games so they use ram >32mb.
That´s not the problem, my bigger rom has 18 megs.Maybe that zip in memory is like 40 megs, i dont know that.And for intance games with less than 3 megs are not working.I think a dat file is needed.

Squidge said:
Actually, it's the other way around :) The emu is double buffered, but sync is not checked before the frames are flipped, so in some games that run fast will cause artifacts due to writing to the visible buffer instead of the invisible one.
But then , is it posible to have VSYNC and dblbuff joined?

Sorry, but my english is not enough to understand or express what i want :(

Thanks for the answers :)

ROM Size != RAM Size

For example, gaia zip is 18.3MB. Unzipped it's 33MB. However, it requires 41MB of RAM. The most ram the emulator can currently use is around the 20MB mark.

Yes, it's possible to have both double buffering and vsync - it would be a simple matter of syncing before double buffering. I don't do this at the moment, as it can slow down the emulator (If an entire frame can be done in less than 16.6ms then it would be fine, but if it took 18ms for example, the sync would take it to 33.2ms(30fps)).

Back