Final preorders, action required

It's very simple really. All the money that was paid for the original pre-order run ran out long ago. Currently delivery of all the old pre-orders are being funded out of new sales or donations. If you don't upgrade then ED has to cover the full price of production, for whichever unit you end up with, whereas if you do upgrade then you are covering part of this cost.
So the money tied to the existing parts doesn´t affect the equation in any way at all, or the parts are all used up?
As far as I understand things, YES.  No one knows what spare parts are in the OP Team's inventory, and you (or anyone) shouldn't worry about such things (IMO), unless you're an investor.  After all is said and done, THEN Craig and Ed and Co (investors included) will look at what is left, but it's problematic for us (as consumers and fans) to guess upon actual numbers.  WE ALL would enjoy a certain transparency with this company, and things do appear to be getting better in this regard, so I'd say just let things play out in the next few weeks.  It's great to see Craig being proactive here and let's not derail that (thought and actual) process.  Kudos to Craig for not losing his cool so far, and I like seeing progress towards relieving the preorder queue(s)...I just wish that I could donate funds, but there appear to be only two options which don't work for me.  Hopefully I will be able to donate via credit card or Google Purchase/Wallet.  Nobody seems to want my money which is weird....

It's very simple really. All the money that was paid for the original pre-order run ran out long ago. Currently delivery of all the old pre-orders are being funded out of new sales or donations. If you don't upgrade then ED has to cover the full price of production, for whichever unit you end up with, whereas if you do upgrade then you are covering part of this cost.
So the money tied to the existing parts doesn´t affect the equation in any way at all, or the parts are all used up?
As far as I understand things, YES.  No one knows what spare parts are in the OP Team's inventory, and you (or anyone) shouldn't worry about such things (IMO), unless you're an investor.
Well... I don´t want details about the existence of the parts, but I was hoping that when I chose "No upgrades, I´ll just keep waiting" it would not be the "worst possible option" for the project.

Well, whatever, multiple choice question answered, address up to date, lets just see what the result of this survey is. Probably everyone else just got the idea, clicked stuff and didn´t think about illiquid assets... One vote will not affect the averages anyway...

The Classic units are no longer in production.  Any remaining parts from that original production run were shipped to Germany and used for production of the Rebirth edition.  The only big difference between the Rebirth edition and the 1 GHz edition in terms of parts is the CPU,  so for everything else they can be put towards whichever model is required.

I'm not sure how many OMAP 3530s are left (the CPU in the Rebirth editions) but as long as these units continue to sell that won't be an issue.

- Neelix

I have filled out the questionnaire but on further reflection I would like to change my choice.

Can I fill out and send the form again or do I need to contact someone directly?

Sure, the promise will be that they'll get a suped-up PanODRA 2...  THE PROBLEM I have with this is that the official statement has been that this wont happen.  I understand that bizarre angle, but it's almost equally disturbing that people who have gotten their Pandoras years ago are getting emails.  I guess that Poke Paradox is wrong when he says that he's had his Pandora since since 2010.  People that have been waiting years (and spent their money) have gotten no official correspondence, whilst some have gotten word and they already have their precious Pandora
I will have to double check as I only did a quick search through my email - and that was the datestamp I found. I was an original day 0 preorderer and had to wait until after the first delay to get my Pandora... early 2010 seems about right to me...?

Sorry to "single" you out on that post, PokeParadox.  Wish you only knew how much I respect you, but that's probably for another time.  My intention was to point out and reinforce what I assumed - that we can all see Craig emailing people and a few (besides yourself) have said that they're out of the loop.  Maybe that's great - The preorder queue might actually be smaller than we have anticipated, but it gets to be a sick joke when the holder of information asks certain questions of people that have already received their unit(s)....in a way, this is worse than I thought.

I think that I'll shut up now....

Going to keep my Pandora blogging to technical issues - I can't solve THIS.

I changed my mind as well, you want to have a go at me too? It's not an easy survey to take in all honesty.

For example.. I wouldn't mind getting an original spec Pandora (even though I waited patiently for the upgraded memory and improvements to be made), but I don't want one with reconditioned parts. Not getting a completely new unit is very hard to stomach after waiting for so long.

I'll pay under £100 for an upgrade to a 1Ghz because I believe it's worth it and I can't afford any more than that. Unfortunately I'm not too sure if this is an option or not yet.

I'd wait for the Rebirth one too. But I really don't want to be pushed to the back of the list yet again.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see which options they feel are the most viable after collecting all the information before setting a choice in stone.

Last edited by a moderator:
tbh that was my next considered option too ... If I didn't pick the "pay what I can afford for the upgraded 1Ghz model" option, I would've chosen to let my money sit there toward the Pandora 2/next project.

I recall ED saying this too and suspect he will work on one, one day. Perhaps not with Craig too but still think there will be a successor to the Pandora eventually from ED/the OPT.

...Will no doubt be double-awesome too, thinking of the lessons learned and the knowledge they have, would likely create something pretty special [again! as the Pandora is still pretty special, years after initially being released]

The thread has been cleaned up a bit.  If your post was deleted, it was deemed to have been in violation of the Rules of this thread mentioned on the first page :

No Off-Topic Posts In This Thread.

No Starting Trouble

No Badgering Craigix

No Bickering Among Yourselves

No Negative Comments

This thread apparently is Craigix way of trying to fix a bad situation. Let's see where it goes and not turn this into another useless thread like the past couple of them.

All posts that break the above rules will be deleted.

Thank You. 

It is not personal, please don't take it as such.  

Let's continue to keep this thread positive and on-topic.

Thanks.

Good Lord, what happened here?  I want it known that I fully support this survey that I haven't seen, and that I think that whomever had their posts deleted had it coming.  Also, you might be an Oakland Raiders fan....okay, that means nothing here, but in Southern California that "joke" kills...

Sorry if I somehow instigated something intense - I missed it all, and now I wonder WHAT happened.  It must've been bad to have been deleted.  Thank goodness that we have Hailrazer - Johnny on the spot.

Does anybody know how to fix or format an 8GB SD card?  When I pop it into my Pandora, it shows two icons on the desktop....and when I pop it out (after minutes of no-use) it still says that it needs to be unmounted.  Ridiculous.

I've already tried to unmount it on the CLI...but go right ahead...I like talking technical terms about my recent purchase...I think my knuckles wouldn't bleed so much if I wasn't so frustrated.  NOT about the Pandora.  I love this thing.

Does anybody know how to fix or format an 8GB SD card?  When I pop it into my Pandora, it shows two icons on the desktop....and when I pop it out (after minutes of no-use) it still says that it needs to be unmounted.  Ridiculous.
Put gparted.pnd on a second SD card and then use it to unmount/check the questionable SD card. You can even format it. In order for it to actually do the check or format you need to choose "Apply" from the "Edit" menu.

Sorry to "single" you out on that post, PokeParadox.  Wish you only knew how much I respect you, but that's probably for another time.  My intention was to point out and reinforce what I assumed - that we can all see Craig emailing people and a few (besides yourself) have said that they're out of the loop.  Maybe that's great - The preorder queue might actually be smaller than we have anticipated, but it gets to be a sick joke when the holder of information asks certain questions of people that have already received their unit(s)....in a way, this is worse than I thought.

I think that I'll shut up now....

Going to keep my Pandora blogging to technical issues - I can't solve THIS.
So far 2 people got the email who had their Pandora already, however the preorders are stored in a double system. They are stored as email addresses and order numbers.

Both are cross checked on shipment, to minimize the possibility of someone getting 2 units. It's been done like this since the days of GBAX.

If the planets unite it might be possible for someone to get past this system by chance and get 2 units, but it's very unlikely, and even I've had double orders arrive from some of the biggest online stores in the world (twice from amazon), which goes to show making a perfect system is difficult.

And people not getting the email is due to them not arriving for some people, this has always been an issue for a small number of people. I cannot control this as it uses a normal (Eds) server which uses a standard gateway. In these cases (so far 11 of them) I just PM them personally.

What I can tell you is the vast majority of people clearly have got the email and have responded.

tbh that was my next considered option too ... If I didn't pick the "pay what I can afford for the upgraded 1Ghz model" option, I would've chosen to let my money sit there toward the Pandora 2/next project.

I recall ED saying this too and suspect he will work on one, one day. Perhaps not with Craig too but still think there will be a successor to the Pandora eventually from ED/the OPT.

...Will no doubt be double-awesome too, thinking of the lessons learned and the knowledge they have, would likely create something pretty special [again! as the Pandora is still pretty special, years after initially being released]
If we ever agree on specs it could happen I suppose, but I'd not do it without Mweston being offered the PCB design.

The iCP2 is designed to be the host for the P2, but life since Christmas for me has not been good. Everything has slowed down to a crawl because I'm now working full time elsewhere just to pay the bills. (My partner has still not started her new job, they keep delaying it).

I'm going to try to bring GBAX back to fund a possible P2 (GBAX funded the P1, that's where all the initial money came from).

Who knows what will happen really...

If we ever agree on specs it could happen I suppose, but I'd not do it without Mweston being offered the PCB design.

The iCP2 is designed to be the host for the P2, but life since Christmas for me has not been good. Everything has slowed down to a crawl because I'm now working full time elsewhere just to pay the bills. (My partner has still not started her new job, they keep delaying it).

I'm going to try to bring GBAX back to fund a possible P2 (GBAX funded the P1, that's where all the initial money came from).

Who knows what will happen really...
I would pay the full amount for a P2 trough kickstarter if you would do a KS for the P2, maybe more people would do the same, could generate some nice cash beforehand.

But i suppose you already have thought of that.

You could use a part (the calculated profit part) to pay off some debts, and another part to pay for the production costs, while saving another part for unforseen bills.

Craig, since you still haven't responded to my PM: do you need an email address, or were you just going to generate a unique link and PM it back?

Back