Finalburn Alpha?

Heeeelooo Slaneesh,

does Neo geo have raster effects enabled ? (super sidekicks 2+++) rely on that... just courious :) ?

pongplaya said:
Heeeelooo Slaneesh,

does Neo geo have raster effects enabled ? (super sidekicks 2+++) rely on that... just courious :) ?
Yes, well it's enabled but Super Sidekicks 2 runs very slowly. Not sure what the issue is.

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh said:
pongplaya said:
Heeeelooo Slaneesh,

Yes, well it's enabled but Super Sidekicks 2 runs very slowly. Not sure what the issue is.

raster effects are very cpu intensive from what i now... (im no programmer, but i think it has to with updating each scanline with each clockcycle or somthin..)

found this:raster effects: It's when you change what's being displayed as it's being drawn by the monitor, i.e. synchronized to the electron beam. That's not hard to emulate in itself, but it may require substantial changes to an emulator. Many emulators let the emulated CPU run for 1/60th of a second (one frame), and then look at the status of the graphics hardware at the end of that frame to render it, so whatever settings the last beam-synchronized interrupt changed (or, if they're not emulated, the initial settings) are applied to the entire screen.
#

To truly emulate raster effects, you need to emulate the CPU running as long as it takes to display single line of the display, check the registers, and render that line. Or worse, per cycle of the graphics hardware (as in good C64 emulators). That obviously takes more processing power, but if you cheat, for instance, by assuming there's only one point at which there will be changes you don't need a line-based renderer

so i wasn't that wrong :) :)

Okay, I've added Super Sidekicks 2 to the list of known Raster Effects drivers. It's looking great but there is the odd flicker on the display. I think this is a known issue with some Raster Effects games. There maybe a fix - I will look into it again later.
As of now, it plays quite nicely and looks nice too.

slaanesh said:
Okay, I've added Super Sidekicks 2 to the list of known Raster Effects drivers. It's looking great but there is the odd flicker on the display. I think this is a known issue with some Raster Effects games. There maybe a fix - I will look into it again later.
As of now, it plays quite nicely and looks nice too.

great news...... now i am happy... wrestlefest and sidekicks :)
for x-mas can i have outrun at playable speed then ? :)

Actually I had a look at the Sega System-16 games - i'm quite disappointed as they run quite slowly - especially when compared to almost all the other games of that era that FBA seems to run so well. It's quite puzzling. This will most likely rule-out Outrun as it's using the same core driver and is somewhat more demanding again. :(

On other news, I've added some assembler to help speed some things up. Notably memcpy and memset are now in assembler so most games gain some speed. I've also written a CPS1/2 scaling screen blitter which gives a little more speed too.
Most of the other games don't need scalers as their screens fit perfectly within the Dingoo's 320x240 resolution (CPS games are 384x224, so need to be scaled horizontally).

I've also tweaked some of the sounds. Most games blast out in stereo - the Q-Sound games are particularly nice.
CPS1 games are the exception and are currently restricted to mono (except those that use Q-Sound - Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, The Punisher, Warriors of Fate and Slam Masters). However I think I will make stereo an option for CPS1 games as they run fast enough. :)

slaanesh, Good work!

I appreciate your work!
Would be possible a VIDEO-PREVIEW of the FBA-dingoo? :rolleyes:

slaanesh said:
Actually I had a look at the Sega System-16 games - i'm quite disappointed as they run quite slowly - especially when compared to almost all the other games of that era that FBA seems to run so well. It's quite puzzling. This will most likely rule-out Outrun as it's using the same core driver and is somewhat more demanding again. :(

On other news, I've added some assembler to help speed some things up. Notably memcpy and memset are now in assembler so most games gain some speed. I've also written a CPS1/2 scaling screen blitter which gives a little more speed too.
Most of the other games don't need scalers as their screens fit perfectly within the Dingoo's 320x240 resolution (CPS games are 384x224, so need to be scaled horizontally).

I am not a huge fan of arcade machines, personally, I preffer Nes, Gba, Snes and Genesis games.
But I must admit, I am amazed to see this work! You are A True Good coder with a enviable dedication and love for emulation! Awesome job man! Good luck!

Ps: Is the game Sega Sonic The hedgehog for system-16?

Ps: Is the game Sega Sonic The hedgehog for system-16?
[/quote]

nope only sonic arcade for sega's mega sys 32 (its an isometric kinda game..see for yourself : http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=709&page=2#1966)
but sega sys32 emulation will never be possible on the dingoo i guess :(

Alright, I've been a little distracted the last few days. I've compiled up a new toolchain - brand spanking new from scratch which runs under cygwin. Basically it's like the official one available however works under Win32. If anyone is interested in it I will upload it.
The main reason I wanted an up-to-date toolchain was to compile up XMB - Cross Media Bar. I've got a basic version of this working as I was getting tired of having /bin/sh scripts for my /usr/local/main. I will release this too as well but it's very basic and most things don't work. It is however very nice - just think PSP XMB and you know what this is like.
Anyway, a little more progress on FBA. I've compiled it with my new toolchain which is capable of producing both static and dynamic executables. This is nice in itself but probably only from a developers point of view. Lots of little improvements and a profiling option so that I can determine if changes I make are beneficial (or not). I've been surprised before by adding what I think will be faster to find out that it's not.
Anyway, the initial release of FBA will be a little rough around the edges - most things are going to be fixed up in a subsequent release - including being able to dump a cache file from the frontend. I think one of the biggest issues with emulators that require cache files is for the user to actually perform the conversion.
Having said that many games will run fine without a cache file. I will be including a DOS FBAcache utility. It's essentially the same as the GP2X/Wiz version though I have added support for wwfwfest.
Release is coming soon, I promise.

Sweet! Great news again, i´m sure the additional toolchain will be appreciated, especially by people who are not so keen with linux.
As for the cache files, we had to convert all the other roms too, so it shouldn´t be a problem to make a cache file using a .bat.
:)

slaanesh said:
Release is coming soon, I promise.
Street%20Fighter%202%20Family.gif

yeah! Good News!
What´s the name? Fbaux? DingooFBA? FBAdingoo ? FdinBgooA ( :lol: )?

In the mean time I've released DinguXMB. I know I said I would be releasing FBA320 (I like that name best) first but I found this was just getting more and more necessary. To be honest I haven't tried Dmenu - but from what I've read and heard it all sounded a bit manual. I saw that Booboo had started work on GP2XMB so I just picked it up from where he left off.
Anyway, DinguXMb works well enough for me and is reasonably pretty too. My intention is to update the SVN repository once Booboo gets back to me.

it seems as though when i go to install dinguxmb it says "main: applet not found"
What do I seem to be missing here?

Btw great job on releasing dinguxmb, been wanting it ever since booboo had his video of it.

Back