Finished! (Well... the schematics, that is)

I think the intent is that only the CPU board needs to be swapped, so it shouldn't be hard to use CPU board B instead of A when they are assembled. I will let someone else give you a yes or no, but I am pretty sure what you are asking is why it was made that way.
No, actually i was just wondering whether any SoC upgrades will be included only in future productions and as result would require a full swap of the PCB for anyone who wished to upgrade (similar to how it was done between the different Pandora models).

The only mention about a swapable SoC from ED that i remember of, was in one of his first Pyra videos. Which as i understood, the option was there in order to have the abitlity to change SoC's in the last minuet as part of the board's design (for any reason that might arise). I don't recall any mention of a seperate interchangeable CPU board as part of the Pyra's design, but perhaps i missed or misunderstood something along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which as i understood, the option was there in order to have the abitlity to change SoC's in the last minuet as part of the board's design (for any reason that might arise).
One of the main reasons was money. Multi-layered PCBs are expensive and the SoC requires a lot of layers - if you put it on a small separate board you only need a cheap 2 layer PCB for the large main board.

Which as i understood, the option was there in order to have the abitlity to change SoC's in the last minuet as part of the board's design (for any reason that might arise).
One of the main reasons was money. Multi-layered PCBs are expensive and the SoC requires a lot of layers - if you put it on a small separate board you only need a cheap 2 layer PCB for the large main board.
Yep. This is the case. An added bonus is the ability to easily produce a  new SoC board a few years down the line. ED mentioned that AMD had responded positively to the idea of helping produce an upgraded SoC board in the future. This would not be the whole PCB, but just the separate, smaller board.

EDIT: I'm also excited by this design as it will greatly reduced production time if an upgraded board is worked on. Without the speakers/screen/case/battery to deal with, a bleeding-edge SoC redesign could happen ASAP after the chip is made available to the public.

Thanks for the link Blinky, somehow i managed to compleatly miss that thread altogether.

I've got a little bag, Indy Jones-style, with my wallet, phone etc.
Purses, backpacks, messenger bags, and such are a much easier target than pockets.  They are good when you need to carry a lot of stuff, but it is better to keep your valuables close to you, physically attached in some way, if possible, to avoid things "falling out" or otherwise being removed or left behind.
I meant something more like this :

http://cheesesteakswithbarkley.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/alan-hangover2.jpg

post-1-0-08356300-1406937201.jpg

Its design reminds me of a pentium two  IBM laptop I tore apart to fix.. 

%24(KGrHqN,!qMFHTN)y-R3BR-7MPyVog~~60_35.JPG

I found a picture :D Pretty neat.. If it worked then it can work now :)

I cant see the rumble motor on this Picture

Is it gone because it needs to much power??

Or will whe have it on the final Board??

Nice to hear that the case design will be ready on 15tnt December..

I've got a little bag, Indy Jones-style, with my wallet, phone etc.
Purses, backpacks, messenger bags, and such are a much easier target than pockets.  They are good when you need to carry a lot of stuff, but it is better to keep your valuables close to you, physically attached in some way, if possible, to avoid things "falling out" or otherwise being removed or left behind.
I meant something more like this :

http://cheesesteakswithbarkley.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/alan-hangover2.jpg
I said purses. :p  Now that I saw a movie pic that contrasts this, I am reminded that the bag used by Indiana Jones had a different purpose prior to his use.  I think it is a gas mask holder.

Since ED tweeted he has taken over production, I was wondering if we'll be seeing a Retrode for the Pyra. I will probably work anyways, but would be sweet if to click the Pyra into a Retrode-dock and have it work out of the box.

Just to add to the pocketability discussion: I have very few pants with pockets large enough for a Pandora. And it's still not comfortable in those pants where it fits. I do have a few jackets/vests where it fits, but it's not really practical to put it there (and also uncomfortable when riding a bike, which I do very frequently).

To carry it in my pockets it would need to be much smaller. Pandora's and Pyra's portability is somewhere in between a 5" smart phone (which is about the maximum I'm okay with carrying in my pocket) and a netbook.

I would describe the Pandora/Pyra form factor as "Can comfortably hold it in my hands during use, but too large to sensibly pocket.".

If Pyra was tailored to my needs, it would be like 7" or 8" (screen diagonal). I could comfortably touch type on something with this size (I'm talking about myself, I don't care if your finger tips are 2cm in diameter, mine are less than 1), but still hold it in my hands for gaming use.

Or if smaller than that, I would prefer it about the size of my Nexus 4 with its 4.7" inch screen, with maximum 1.5 times the thickness of the Nexus, i.e. ~15mm. Then I could pocket it again and it would make thumb typing more comfortable (easier to reach all the buttons. Again, I have good fine motor control and my finger tips aren't too fat). A device this size could completely replace my phone.

But it should be obvious to everyone that at this point in development, you really /can't/ change something like this. Pyra is 5". Done.

This is why although I'm very very tempted to buy a Pyra when it's released, I'm not sure I really will.
The Pyra / Pandora are supposed to be handheld gaming devices. We are talking somethign similar to a Nintento DS / DS XL. 7'' or 8'' screen is a completely different category of devices.

I understand different people have different opinion on how the Pyra should be and some would preffer to have the slightly bigger screen instead of the BOE.

At this end of the day, we have to be realistic: It is impossible to satify everyone. Also people can comment on what they feel is the best choice but unless they actually see / hold the final product it is difficult to know exactly how it will be.

I believe Evildragon made it quite clear the decision to not through a case redesign has been made.

I really think this is for the best. Some decision and compromise need to be made for the the Pyra need to be finished / shipped within a reasonable timeframe.

We know Evildragon put a lot of effort in selectioning the best possible screen within the project constrain. Also he is working in video and I believe is quite picky.

The BOE screen is bigger and better that the one in the Pandora and the resolution (720p) is ideal. There will alway be a better screen out there.

At the end of the day, I believe most pyra users will be happy with it :)   The show must go on....

Crazy how ~6in phones are becoming the norm. Not that I mind. I think 4k even at that size would be pointless, but there are rumors already for 4k screens.1080p is probably the highest you would see for 5in.

You're right. Let's end the fight and wait for the 4K upgrade. :p
Ooof! I can feel the battery screaming. :eek: -Glyph Reader
Battery usage is proportional to surface area and nothing else. (edit: roughly. But saying "higher resolution=higher power" is certainly wrong)
The higher the pixel density, the brighter the backlight needs to be to get the same brightness in front of the screen.

Back