Frets On Fire

Zoppe

I was wondering if the pandora could run it.

System requirements 128 or 256 MB RAM, OpenGL graphics card

Features

* A tutorial
* A built-in song editor that allows editing and creating songs
* Three songs by Tommi Inkilä are included; one can also import songs from Guitar Hero, Guitar Hero II (PS2 version only), and Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s, and add songs made by other players
* "World Charts", an official online high score list; the ability for players to host their own[6]
* Compatibility with joysticks and guitar controllers[5]

Wow, that's weird, I was just thinking about this 5 minutes ago. It should be an easy port, it's open source, has a linux version, and wouldn't require any control changes.

PlopperZ said:
Wow, that's weird, I was just thinking about this 5 minutes ago. It should be an easy port, it's open source, has a linux version, and wouldn't require any control changes.
the pandora has hadware powerful enough for that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Barely, 128 MB RAM. Don't remember graphics. I'm not sure 500Mhz processor would be enough though.

PlopperZ said:
Barely, 128 MB RAM. Don't remember graphics. I'm not sure 500Mhz processor would be enough though.
thats what i tought. but the thing can be overclocked to 900mhz AFAIK(correct me if i am wrong)

i think that the programmers can make a toned down version of it, i mean, c´mon, you just have to press buttons and hear music.

The x86 system requirements would become less relevant if/when the code was optimised for Pandora. It seems like it's in a decent ballpark, but I'm at the limit of my knowledge here!

We shouldn't go too nuts thinking about overclocking to 900mhz at this stage, although we probably will be able to overclock that was really just a bench test.

600mhz on Pandora is a totally different beast to 600mhz on a PC, and from what we're hearing so far it seems like there's a lot of grunt in them six tons.

Gruso said:
The x86 system requirements would become less relevant if/when the code was optimised for Pandora. It seems like it's in a decent ballpark, but I'm at the limit of my knowledge here!

We shouldn't go too nuts thinking about overclocking to 900mhz at this stage, although we probably will be able to overclock that was really just a bench test.

600mhz on Pandora is a totally different beast to 600mhz on a PC, and from what we're hearing so far it seems like there's a lot of grunt in them six tons.
You are right. Pandora is running PSX emu more than 100 fps without any optimization or overclocking. You can think about the rest.

A stripped-down version for the GP2x would be awesome. Because you could tap the notes.

As long as you don't need to play two notes at once :)

mfk said:
Gruso said:

You are right. Pandora is running PSX emu more than 100 fps without any optimization or overclocking. You can think about the rest.

when i read that i changed my mind bout frets on fire.(i would like a imni gutar controller tough)

if it can be ported we have yet another good game on the pandora

it wouldn't need 128mb of ram if you reduced the textures to fit the pandoras resolution etc.?

Main problem is probably OpenGL. Remember we don't have OpenGL, only ES 2.0. And I'm not sure if ES 2.0 bindings are available for Python (which FoF is written in).

If this is possible, which would be sweet. Could we coax someone into porting a driver for Xbox (Original & 360) peripherals (ex. Controller, Mic, Dance mats --DDR clone???, and most importantly Guitar, ). Some google work found this.... http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/ It's an open source Linux driver that takes care of most of the work to my understanding and it "runs in userspace on top of libusb" whatever that means.

you realize that fretsonfire has also been ported to the commodore 64.... no joke check youtube so since this is an emulation platform and it will run c64 programs it already has fretsonfire.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyCMM6e1Lbo

BTW i have played BOTH fretsonfire and Stepmania.... the proformance of stepmania is much better on my geforece 2 mx 400 than Fretsonfire which lags teribbly if a port of these is tried it might be easier to port Fretsonfire since it uses a lot of python (the reason it lags) but eventually Stepmania will prove a better game

cb88 said:
you realize that fretsonfire has also been ported to the commodore 64.... no joke check youtube so since this is an emulation platform and it will run c64 programs it already has fretsonfire.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyCMM6e1Lbo

BTW i have played BOTH fretsonfire and Stepmania.... the proformance of stepmania is much better on my geforece 2 mx 400 than Fretsonfire which lags teribbly if a port of these is tried it might be easier to port Fretsonfire since it uses a lot of python (the reason it lags) but eventually Stepmania will prove a better game

It wasn't ported, it was completely remade. Its Shredz64, not Frets on Fire. Completely different game, same idea though.

PokeParadox said:
FoF is horrendously inoptimal, due to it's Python usage. I think if someone were to port it, they would be better changing much of the code to C/C++.
That would take LONG. Profiling and optimising it is much better. If all else fails and it eats too much memory with Psyco, the few (less than 10% of the code in most cases) functions that are 'horrendously inoptimal' can be rewritten in Cython (or Pyrex, same thing mostly).

Psycho et al. won't work because they're X86 only. Also I have no idea how or if 3D will be accessed on Python, but the way FoF does it will not work.

It doesn't need to be FoF, in my opinion. Any similar clone that can read the same data files (.ogg music and .mid note tracks) should be fine. How about it then, a new game, Pandoras on Fire?

Back