Future Drmd Release?

Ahh thanks for clearing that up, I've never noticed myself. I'll add a switch stereo option then.

I thought the left/right speaker bug was fixed on BLUs, although I'm probably wrong. In the unlikely event I'm right, a switch stereo option would be best.

With regards to Codemaster games. Codemasters used to be very sneaky when they made Master System games, they used their own rom design so they did not have to pay Sega to use their rom setup. That is why you'll find that codemaster games will not run on most emulators. I've never been able to find any good document on the setup of codemaster roms, but I managed to get a few running on DrSMS. If I ever find a good document , I'll fix the support for them on my master system emulator.

I have this in Dega:

static INLINE void SysWrite(unsigned short a,unsigned char d)
{
if (a==0x8000) { Masta.Bank[3]=d; MastMapPage2(); goto End; } // Codemasters mapper

iirc it does run some Codie's games. So maybe the Codie mapper is quite simple - write to 0x8000 -> bank 3 number.

Hope that helps! Probably tonnes of info at www.smspower.org as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget taking stuff like sound and interrupts out, adding 6 buttons that like 2 games use, all of these configurations etc.

To me the thing that would be best here is to just concentrate on:

Compatibility and finding the cyclone bugs, getting the emu to run as smooth as it can WITH full sound. That is about it.

Thank you!!! That's EXACTLY what *I* was saying!!! Agreed I think 6 button is really low priority, mostly it is for fighting games and that's such small fraction of what you'd use DrMD to play, as well you can't do it properly on the GP anyways just like in the SNES emu.

Hehe, this thread reminds me of an old (1980s,early 90s?) book I read when I was bored one day on a project... The book was called "Programming as if people mattered". Basically, if you find this book, it's quite an interesting read.
It describes the eternal struggle between programmers designing interfaces to programs, and end-users.

Basically the upshot of the book is, "Listen to your users, and then ignore their advice"!
This sounds like it doesn't make sense, but what it's saying is (in enough numbers) users generally do know when there is something wrong with an application, but quite often only DEVELOPERS know what it is. Don't let users advise you on fixes, use your own knowledge of the program to decide what is right to fix the problem.

This sounds a bit rude of me to say I know, but all I can say is, if you get the chance read the book and it all becomes clear why this is the best advice! ;-)

With regards to Codemaster games.  Codemasters used to be very sneaky when they made Master System games, they used their own rom design so they did not have to pay Sega to use their rom setup.  That is why you'll find that codemaster games will not run on most emulators.  I've never been able to find any good document on the setup of codemaster roms, but I managed to get a few running on DrSMS.  If I ever find a good document , I'll fix the support for them on my master system emulator.

I have this in Dega:

{
if (a==0x8000) { Masta.Bank[3]=d; MastMapPage2(); goto End; } // Codemasters mapper

iirc it does run some Codie's games. So maybe the Codie mapper is quite simple - write to 0x8000 -> bank 3 number.

A few posts back Reesy was mentioning needing some help to squash the few remaining Cyclone bugs. Is there anything he should know about them that would maybe help find the bugs? If you guys got together a bit maybe you could eliminate those pesky bugs forever :) You guys could talk all of that l337 c0d3r talk maybe and good things could happen.

fDave take a look at the game "battle frenzy" on DrMD. It is a 3D type maze game and acts weird with cyclone. It seems to be some sort of math bug. Maybe if you saw that it would give an idea as to what is wrong, as it is very telling.

So the sound is right in the head phones currently but wrong on the speakers?

Well I'll just flip the stereo as it is now, fixing the speaker problem and you lot can just wear your headphones on the wrong ears :)

Not my headphones--They don't fit on the wrong ears.
MDRJ10BLUE.jpg

but it's been solved on the blus!
BLUs don't have the speakers the wrong way round! I can't swap them!

With regards to Codemaster games.  Codemasters used to be very sneaky when they made Master System games, they used their own rom design so they did not have to pay Sega to use their rom setup.  That is why you'll find that codemaster games will not run on most emulators.  I've never been able to find any good document on the setup of codemaster roms, but I managed to get a few running on DrSMS.  If I ever find a good document , I'll fix the support for them on my master system emulator.

I have this in Dega:

{

Yeah that's the system I'm using already, but I've also read somewhere that writing a byte to address 0x0000 sets bank 0 and writing a byte to address 0x4000 sets bank 1. I have just not found a definitive document on the Codemaster cartridge format.

Well I'll just flip the stereo as it is now, fixing the speaker problem and you lot can just wear your headphones on the wrong ears :)

MDRJ10BLUE.jpg

So then cut the cord and flip the channels, there problem solved :D

They're brand new...What is it with you people?!

MDRJ10BLUE.jpg

So then cut the cord and flip the channels, there problem solved :D

They're brand new...What is it with you people?!

You could have an operation to reverse our hearing

hi Reesy,

I thought of a possible enhancement that would be handy for various games. An autofire! Not sure how complex it would be but if you were into the idea it would be great to be able to map a separate button to A, B, or C to have an autofire option on one of them. Be great for games like Universal Soldier (wicked game)

cheers

drmd still rockin my gp!

I've already been through 2 button membranes for my GP due to bloody shootemups!!

I always say, there's nothing like a good thumbing ;)

I've already been through 2 button membranes for my GP due to bloody shootemups!!

I always say, there's nothing like a good thumbing ;)

The GP32 must have really dodgy membranes then. I remember I never wore out a SNES controller even with all of the SFII button mashing and shooters etc.

Autofire..it shouldn't be a problem. Let me just make sure what you want. I thinking that you just want to hold the button down, but the emulator will automatically switch the button off and on if the button is held.

What buttons do you want this on? A B C or everything? - Ahh I'll just do it on everything.

P.S
Just a note to the beta testers, sorry I did not get round to sending out a new beta. I had my plans, but my wife had hers :). I did get some work done though. All I've got to do now is finish the rom delete code, add rom ini file delete, make the save states with the Musashi core compatible with the cyclone core save states and I may as well add this autofire option as well before the next beta.

So far I've added

Gamma Correction improved - finer gamma incremenents
Stereo Switch
Save State delete
Rom ini file ( ie menu options on a per game basis )

The Z80 on/off option has now been scratched as it was proving to be quite more work than I originally thought.

The Line Ints on/off has also been scratched as turning of Line Ints would screw up the way I currently emulate the DAC samples. Turning them off would mean you would only get 1 DAC sample per frame which would be crap.

Later

Reesy

It must be down to memory caching, I've triple checked the code and its correct. So the delay must be where the instruction cache is being reloaded because the section of code is so large. So I've scrapped my super fast rendering idea and put the old ( faster code ) back in, this code is faster because the cpu does not have to reload the instruction cache all of the time.

Back