Game Maker .. Anyone Interested?

Ah yes skeezix, I totally forgot about the other platforms. Being able to very easily port it to those is a major advantage.

your scripting language looks very nice and simple.
maybe labels for actions, texts, etc. would be handy (instead of numbers), but
taking care of a symbol table in run time is probably not on your priority list... :)

would it be possible to move e.g. a wall out of the way when a button is
pressed? like in zelda, etc. maybe an
animate_action
definition with
move <object_name>
from <start tile>
to <end tile>
speed <speed>
would be cool. in general, moving things on predefined paths is probably
a thing missing in there. e.g. for enemy ships in the shoot-em-ups,
some guards patrolling around a castle, as well as machines animated on
button presses.

are actions possible when you hit other objects? would be vital for a zelda game
where you like to speak to inhabitants of the city you are in...

On my list of things to do in a little while are a number of trigger tests and actions.. one of the triggers is "on impact" to test for hitting something specific or 'anything'; I've also gor movement path definition stuff to add.. ie: I'd like to make it so you can make a tile as been part of any given path, and then you could get mobs following a path ID.

I may also ad da "motion" type of object, which is a series of things to do.. like "follow path ID x to end, then do this action, then follow this path, then do this action", or something.

Thats the sort of thing I need people hacking levels to tell me what they need :)

jeff

Hows this for a plan.. :)

Everyone who would definatdely give a shot to using this to make a little game, email me at skeezix@codejedi.com and say "I'll try Zot for sure!" :)

If I get a couple of people in my inbox, I'l fire up a mailing list and pass out the current Windows dev setup so you can start hacking away and making suggestions..

jeff

Nice site, jeff. Have you considered making the engine open source? I just want to see how you did a few of the features.

pip posted on Mar 15 2004 at 12:21 PM said:
Nice site, jeff. Have you considered making the engine open source? I just want to see how you did a few of the features.
I have considered it, but its not going to happen for awhile ideally.. ie: I've got a game on the go with a few people, hopefully to make a few shareware bucks. The engine being opned up at all is just a side effect as I like to do that sort of thing :) But I can't make it open source for various licensing restrictions and the fact I need to make a few bucks with it. (Remember, I work for myself to make a living.. I make a lot of open source sxtuff, but by no means can everything I do be OSS or I'd be out on the street :)

Ultimately, Zot will likely be open source down the road, but not until my game either dies in the making, or has made a few bucks to cover some of these costs :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a total of 5 people so far, so I guess thats enough to see what happens..

(ie: It doesn't cost me any time to let the existing windows dev stuff out; finishing up the GP32 version is a days work, so that'll be in a couple weeks if anyone comes up with useful stuff to run in it :)

We probably need some artists though :)

jeff

kraahl posted on Mar 15 2004 at 05:26 PM said:
skeezix... are you saying you make a living on shareware stuff?
Yeppers.

I work 70 hours a week to stay afloat, but pays the bills :)

jeff

skeezix posted on Mar 15 2004 at 05:53 PM said:
pip posted on Mar 15 2004 at 12:21 PM said:
I have considered it, but its not going to happen for awhile ideally.. ie: I've got a game on the go with a few people, hopefully to make a few shareware bucks. The engine being opned up at all is just a side effect as I like to do that sort of thing :) But I can't make it open source for various licensing restrictions and the fact I need to make a few bucks with it. (Remember, I work for myself to make a living.. I make a lot of open source sxtuff, but by no means can everything I do be OSS or I'd be out on the street :)

Ultimately, Zot will likely be open source down the road, but not until my game either dies in the making, or has made a few bucks to cover some of these costs :)

jeff
Alright, perfectly understandable.

Octavious posted on Mar 16 2004 at 02:35 PM said:
im sure if ya released a gamemaker kit ( thats what this is right? )
that the community would get more devrs and would be better all around

~Octavious
I opened a mailing list for it, so anyone can sign up if they want to now. See URL above.

jeff

Ganepark32 posted on Mar 16 2004 at 03:12 PM said:
Hey Sheezix how'd you sign up to the thing on your site cause i would like to make a game and im pretty serious about it.
"skeezix" with a k, not a h :)

http://shadow.skeleton.org/mailman/listinfo/zot-maker

Read the archives (ie: Theres only a half dozen posts ;) which have all the goods.

jeff

Back