Game Screen Size - Ntsc &pal

S

sausage dog

OK, I have a question about NTSC/PAL games, and the maximising of the playable game screen area. NES and SNES on the GP2X are all running in reduced screen sizes, and the read me files included with the emulator has stated that this will be solved in future releases so the game screen is maximised. But then we have the DRMD release. Although most games run in a maximised screen I am getting a few that run on reduced screen sizes. It is like the effect that playing an NTSC game on GENS through a PC gives...ie squashed with bars at the sides. Anyway, if this question has made any sense at all, can you please try to answer this question:

1) Will a JAP game have a different frame size to European game in DRMD, or is it simply a coding problem that squashes the screen? I am afraid I dont know how to identify the origins of the games I am playing and cannot test these things out from here.

Merry Christmas all!!!

all games are displayed in thair native resolution, pal res is higher than ntsc res.
Genesis is 320 x 224 (NTSC), 320 x 240 (PAL), 40 x 28 Textmode(lines), gp2x/gp32 haves 320*240, so ntsc games have a slight boarder.

Mystery Solved :D

I'm gonna have to use a PAL NHL Hockey 95!!

...and the new PCengine emu :blink:

sausage dog posted on Dec 19 2005 at 03:36 PM said:
OK, I have a question about NTSC/PAL games, and the maximising of the playable game screen area. NES and SNES on the GP2X are all running in reduced screen sizes, and the read me files included with the emulator has stated that this will be solved in future releases so the game screen is maximised. But then we have the DRMD release. Although most games run in a maximised screen I am getting a few that run on reduced screen sizes. It is like the effect that playing an NTSC game on GENS through a PC gives...ie squashed with bars at the sides. Anyway, if this question has made any sense at all, can you please try to answer this question:

1) Will a JAP game have a different frame size to European game in DRMD, or is it simply a coding problem that squashes the screen? I am afraid I dont know how to identify the origins of the games I am playing and cannot test these things out from here.

Merry Christmas all!!!

You do know that Japanese and U.S. use NTSC... Europe is the only gaming region that uses PAL...

Last edited by a moderator:
Australia for some odd reason is always classified as part of the EU game region so they use PAL... Asia and Americas use NTSC though so most of the time Region coding is the only hurdle you have to go through

Back