Games Tm Gp2x Reviews

satanic virus

Website
Visit site
Had a quick look and could not see a topic on this ..

UK Mag Games TM has a retro section, and this month they have reviewed some GP2X games.

I am not going to scan the 2 pages, as the magazine is only just out. However, the games reviewed were (with scores):

BATTLEJEWELS
Author : Jeff Mitchell
Version : Alpha
Score : 80%

BEAROIDS
Author : MrHillBilly
Version : 2.1
Score 14%

DRILL2X
Author : Kfazz, Adas & Birslip
Score : 60%

FRAGGER 2X
Author : Nut Inc
Version : Final
Score : 5% !!

LAS TRES LUCES DE GLAURUNG
Author : MA Software and Traperic
Score : 76%

NOIZ2SA
Author : HC232
Score : 94% (% well f@cking deserved)

REWORD
Author : Al McLuckie
Version : 0.3
Score : 90%

SUPERPAF
Author : Amaka Soft
Version 1.0
Score : 59%

VOLLEYBALL
Author : Jon Agirre
Version : Final
Score : 65%

ZOLTAN 2X
Author : Ruckage
Version 1.0
Score : 50%

& That's it!!!

Firstly i think it is great having GP2X in a mainstream magazine, I think a couple of important points were missed :

1) This is an open source console. Some of the reviews compared games to similar DS games who have 'proper' marketing, development and coding teams.
2) Whilst emulation was mentioned in the intro, and i recognise the reasons why they may not want to make a full feature on this, I feel they missed the main USP of the GP2X. That said I am in no way slagging off all homebrew coders for GP2X, but you must admit it is emulation that attractes people to the console first. Personally i love the new games too.

Sorry for typo's, am tired at the mo. Just letting you know the scores in the magazine in case you have not heard ...

Will this be a regular feature, or is it just a flavour of the month section?

Line O'Sevens said:
Of all the things they could have picked of Ruckage's, they picked *Zoltan*? Oh well.
Yeah - have to agree. It's not even a game just a bit of fun. Looking at that list though it appears they just picked them at random.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems bizarre these were in the retro section and I can't see why they choose those particular games out of the hundreds of homebrew games available.

Parkydr said:
It seems bizarre these were in the retro section and I can't see why they choose those particular games out of the hundreds of homebrew games available.
They're evil, and chose the worst ones because they want to give GP2X bad reputation.

It is not a regular feature. They reviewed the console itself (MK1) ages ago and gave it a good write up. They also reviewed Vektar, and i think it got 65% (full page review).

I don't think they are against the GP2X, but it is a pity they did not spend more time researching the games. In fairness, they did say they were looking at the best and the worst available, hence the varied mix.

Ruckage, they did say that Zoltan was not a game as such when reviewing it, but they included it because it was fun (even if the score did not reflect that).

Overall I'm still happy to see something about our console in the mainstream media. Hopefully they will pay it more respect in the future ...

they should have just picked the 2 or 3 that they liked best and gave them a paragraph each or something. plus, what's with the scores out of 100? is there really a difference between a game that gets an 85 and one that gets an 86?

Just got the magazine myself, I thought it was a nice surprise to find something GP2X related in a mainstream magazine. I'm surprised about the games they chose but they do all come with a small review.

Being a 'retro-console' I understand why this would be in the retro-section even if the games themselves are new. Maybe they just thought they should give it some attention because gp2x.co.uk advertises in the retro-section each month :)

Anyways, not the best article they could have written but still nice to see this getting some attention.

Sphinxter said:
That they even recognize it as a platform worthy of a few column inches is super especially since none of the publishers of those games are buying any ads in it. Must be a decent rag, don't see it in the local racks.
Yeah, right : It's not on US racks so it can't be good!

If you bothered to check, you'll realise it's a very popular UK based magazine. I'll post you a map of the world if you're struggling with 'UK'.

P-J said:
Sphinxter said:
That they even recognize it as a platform worthy of a few column inches is super especially since none of the publishers of those games are buying any ads in it. Must be a decent rag, don't see it in the local racks.
Yeah, right : It's not on US racks so it can't be good!

If you bothered to check, you'll realise it's a very popular UK based magazine. I'll post you a map of the world if you're struggling with 'UK'.

Ouch!, That was a bit of a kick in the teeth towards Sphinxter, And on reading through Sphinxter`s post a few times, I see no reason for your rather rude reply.

Perhaps you should try re-reading through posts before replying to them.

Trooper

He said 'rag' instead of 'mag'. R is pretty far away from M on a qwerty :p

Alex. said:
He said 'rag' instead of 'mag'. R is pretty far away from M on a qwerty :p
I think 'rag' is slang for magazine. I can see where the misunderstanding is :)

i got a subscription for both magazines retro gamer and gamestm, and I really enjoy them each months, there are no similar magazines available in the german language area.

kevcal said:
Now, now people...

Talking of good UK (retro) magazines - this one may be of interest:
http://www.retrogamer.net/
First 30 issues available on a dvd for £19.99 - a bargain if I hadn't already bought half of the mags :(
It's now up to issue 46 or thereabouts (I think).

I recommend this magazine.

(And that's not just because I write for it...)

Back