Games you finished...

I don't know, I haven't played it in so long. I remember everything being dead and like the whole level was up in the sky or something, I think, it has been a while.

I think that's the normal last area. You pretty much don't find the "hell" ending by accident.

Finished on the Pandora....

ScummVM:

The secret of Monkey Island

Monkey Island 2

Monkey Island 3

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

The Digg

PSX4Pandora:

Metal Gear Solid

Not many games, but it sure took me a while...

Pandora is back in UK now for repairs (dreaded purple haze due to a busted LCD cable)....hope I get it back soon.

I do love Scumm games, but it feels like a bit of a waste to play them on the Pandora. Especially seeing as ScummVM works on my mobile phone! I've got BaSS, Discworld, Full Throttle, SoMI and LCR on there!

Hopefully I'll get my Pandora very soon, but I haven't a clue what I'm going to play on there first.

I do love Scumm games, but it feels like a bit of a waste to play them on the Pandora. Especially seeing as ScummVM works on my mobile phone! I've got BaSS, Discworld, Full Throttle, SoMI and LCR on there!

Hopefully I'll get my Pandora very soon, but I haven't a clue what I'm going to play on there first.

Hey, I could have also played them with my Android phone, or on any device. However, the Pandora is the perfect device to play them on. nubs are very nice for this purpose. And the battery lasts so long that you can just keep playing and playing and playing....

Metal Gear Solid was also pretty nice :)

Hey, I could have also played them with my Android phone, or on any device. However, the Pandora is the perfect device to play them on. nubs are very nice for this purpose. And the battery lasts so long that you can just keep playing and playing and playing....

You're right, they really are a pleasure on the Pandora. I've been spending a fair bit of time on Monkey Island recently, in fact I'm off there in a minute :)

That's good to know, I guess I'll have to find out for myself once I get my unit (come on dispatch email!!) I also wish the Residual guys would work on that; I'd love to be able to play Grim Fandango on my Pandora!

Hi All

Games you have finished, not even got a Pandora yet :(

About to finish Arc the Lad 2 soon... wuahaha... still gotta play Arc the Lad 3 then though... dang. xD

I finished Cave Story for the first time Saturday evening, I had never played it before :D . Spent Sunday playing through it again to get the good ending, currently tackling the horrifically hard last area. Plays like a dream on the Pandora, I can't imagine playing it on a Keyboard, or on my GP2X's stick thing (which broke before I really found out what Cave Story was, so I saved it for when I got my Pandora). Nearly finished Megaman X4 on it too. Gaming on the Pandora is just so much better than on the GP2X, and I didn't actually MIND the stick as much as many people did.

What's the proper directions to install/play Cave Story on the Pandora?

I beleive instead of the linux build athttp://www.cavestory.org/downloads_game.php you use the GP2X one instead, and an application called Ginge?

Can you elaborate, I'd be appreciative! (note - handicap, new to linux, expecting to get Pandora tomorrow, want this to be first game installed)

I beleive instead of the linux build athttp://www.cavestory.org/downloads_game.php you use the GP2X one instead, and an application called Ginge?

Can you elaborate, I'd be appreciative! (note - handicap, new to linux, expecting to get Pandora tomorrow, want this to be first game installed)
Firstly, you get GINGE from here, and Cave Story from here.

Secondly, create a directory called pandora in the root of your SD Card, and then inside that one, create menu (this will cause your applications to be displayed in the menus in the Xfce desktop environment), desktop (this will display them on the desktop instead), apps (this will put them in both of those places), and appdata (this is where important data such as save files usually go, with most Pandora apps - you will need to check the documentation sometimes in case you yourself are required to put something there, but that isn't necessary in this case).

Thirdly, Decide whether you want GINGE to appear on the desktop or in the menus, and put it in the relevant directory. If you're using Minimenu instead of Xfce, it won't matter which one of these you pick, though.

Fourthly, unzip Cave Story, and put it wherever you want to put it on your SD Card. (Personally, on mine, it's in a directory named "GP2X", where I put all of the software that I run via GINGE.)

Fifthly, start GINGE, browse to the directory you unzipped Cave Story to, and start doukutsu.gpe - the first run for this game will take a few moments to start up, this is normal.

Sixthly (optional), you may want to remap the controls for Cave Story to your liking. This cannot be done in-game and it can't be done while the game is running, it has to be done by editing a separate text file. You can do this on the Pandora itself. Inside the Cave Story folder, you will find a text file named gp2x_buttons.txt - open this, and you will be able to re-map the gaming buttons. Note that the Pandora has the same button layout as the GP2X, so there is no guesswork involved here. Once you've changed it, save it and exit. When you start Cave Story again, your button choices will now be reflected in-game.

Seventhly, enjoy playing Cave Story on your Pandora. :D

That's all there is to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firstly, you get GINGE from here, and Cave Story from here.

Secondly, create a directory called pandora in the root of your SD Card, and then inside that one, create menu (this will cause your applications to be displayed in the menus in the Xfce desktop environment), desktop (this will display them on the desktop instead), apps (this will put them in both of those places), and appdata (this is where important data such as save files usually go, with most Pandora apps - you will need to check the documentation sometimes in case you yourself are required to put something there, but that isn't necessary in this case).

Thirdly, Decide whether you want GINGE to appear on the desktop or in the menus, and put it in the relevant directory. If you're using Minimenu instead of Xfce, it won't matter which one of these you pick, though.

Fourthly, unzip Cave Story, and put it wherever you want to put it on your SD Card. (Personally, on mine, it's in a directory named "GP2X", where I put all of the software that I run via GINGE.)

Fifthly, start GINGE, browse to the directory you unzipped Cave Story to, and start doukutsu.gpe - the first run for this game will take a few moments to start up, this is normal.

Sixthly (optional), you may want to remap the controls for Cave Story to your liking. This cannot be done in-game and it can't be done while the game is running, it has to be done by editing a separate text file. You can do this on the Pandora itself. Inside the Cave Story folder, you will find a text file named gp2x_buttons.txt - open this, and you will be able to re-map the gaming buttons. Note that the Pandora has the same button layout as the GP2X, so there is no guesswork involved here. Once you've changed it, save it and exit. When you start Cave Story again, your button choices will now be reflected in-game.

Seventhly, enjoy playing Cave Story on your Pandora. :D

That's all there is to it.

I appreciate the very step by step directions! I've gotten the SD card plugged into the ol' mac, and been setting up the directories and getting the codex and packages per the intro guide at the Pandora wiki. So these directions help ALOT! Will letcha know how it goes trying to get it to work tomorrow.

Gonna have a busy day when I get home :)

Again, appreciate the help! Very concise!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Always glad to be of assistance. Enjoy your Pandora! :D

Hello Prometheus -

Perhaps this question belongs in support and off topic, but it's a continuation of the Cave Story/Setup thread which you've been very generous to help me with.

So yes, it's true, the Pandora arrived yesterday and I was able to pick it up at the post office during lunch. Office co-workers were in awe - they didn't know what it was, but agreed the device looked cool.

Now, the night before I connected my SD card to a reader onto ye old mac, download the patches per the quickstart guide at the Pandora wiki. Also, took your advice and made the directory tree on my SD card look like this:

pandora

appdata

apps

desktop

games

cavestory

menu

I put both the hotfix and the codex in apps (per the wiki), the cavestory unzipped file into cavestory, and ginge initially into menu (this was all last night)

So during lunch, got the pandy, opened it up, following directions, put the SD card in, boom - recognizes it immediately and on the desktop popped short cuts to the update and codec. Installed them no problem.

So afterwards, felt adventurous I wanted to try cave story. I went to menu where ginge initially resided, clicked the pnd... and nothing? A text editor popped up with gibberish. Huh?

So i dragged and dropped the ginge pnd from menu to apps, and BOOM! ginge popped up on the desktop, icon and all. Interesting. So opened it up, was able to load up cave story, seems to work ok.

So, so far so good.

I popped my SD card out, popped it back in, and the short cuts to the codec, ginge, and hot update appeared back on the desktop. I thought this to be odd, since i would think if the items were in the desktop folder they would appear there (i chose to use xfce), but instead they are in apps AND I have installed files now in appdata.

So, this may sound weird... but...firstly - why didn't ginge appear on my menu when it was in menu and instead waited until i moved it to apps? since now I got installs and pnds in apps and it looks like the actual applications under appdata, i wonder if it is ok to remove my 3 files from the app folder now (remember - not only a pandora noob here, linux noob too).

Your advice?

In mean time, wifi seems to not want to work, but thats ok - I can get files onto the pandy using the SD card and reader and download off ye old mac and surf on the iphone for now. I'll be honest, i see these other threads of something going awry with nubs, or stuck sd cards or chargers, or cracks or shoulder buttons - but so far, I think I've lucked out! :lol:

Thank you for your advice in advance prometheus!

So afterwards, felt adventurous I wanted to try cave story. I went to menu where ginge initially resided, clicked the pnd... and nothing? A text editor popped up with gibberish. Huh?
That's weird - I haven't encountered that before. Just to cover all bases, this occurred when opening it from the Pandora menu in Xfce? I didn't even know that was possible... :blink:

I popped my SD card out, popped it back in, and the short cuts to the codec, ginge, and hot update appeared back on the desktop. I thought this to be odd, since i would think if the items were in the desktop folder they would appear there (i chose to use xfce), but instead they are in apps AND I have installed files now in appdata.
If I'm reading this correctly, this is normal behaviour. As I said, putting PNDs in apps causes them to appear both on the desktop and in Xfce's menus.

You will get stuff in appdata as soon as you run anything - it's just where data goes, generally. (If you ever need to back up, say, save-states from an emulator, you will find them there, for example.)

So, this may sound weird... but...firstly - why didn't ginge appear on my menu when it was in menu and instead waited until i moved it to apps?
I'm afraid I don't know. It should have appeared under the "Emulators" category, which if you have no other emulators present, would have appeared there for that purpose.

since now I got installs and pnds in apps and it looks like the actual applications under appdata, i wonder if it is ok to remove my 3 files from the app folder now (remember - not only a pandora noob here, linux noob too).
You don't install PNDs - they are self-contained files. The things in appdata are not the applications, just saved data of various sorts. If you delete the PND, you delete the program. So don't. :p

In mean time, wifi seems to not want to work, but thats ok - I can get files onto the pandy using the SD card and reader and download off ye old mac and surf on the iphone for now. I'll be honest, i see these other threads of something going awry with nubs, or stuck sd cards or chargers, or cracks or shoulder buttons - but so far, I think I've lucked out! :lol:

Thank you for your advice in advance prometheus!
I've never encountered any issues with WiFi, so I can't give any input there - you may be better off making a post in the Support section for that.

I hope this post has been somewhat useful. :p

Hi Prometheus (super fighting robot...megaman...fighting to saaaaaaaave the world!) -

Thanks for the help! Been playing Cave Story before going to bed, at the part where Curly just died and I got his/her/it?'s bubble shield and I going through the underwater currents. It's pretty fun!

All your advice has been spot on, thanks!

The only concern I have, everytime I put a .pnd in apps it appears on the desktop, so I'll just have to play around with moving the PNDs around to a folder a I like so I can access it without future cluttering my desk top.

Now to close this out, get back on topic of games beaten on ye old pandora. Thanks again!

Best!

-Nick

Back