GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

This is a very neat sounding device. I'm not interested in it personally since I have a Pandora, but it sounds like a great choice for people who just want emulators (and perhaps some homebrews and a bit of video).

So, after watching all that, it isn't better than Pandora emulation at all.

Why did he even say that at the start?

maybe because the pandora is also a tiny computer and is hard as balls to compete with?

Also, I think devices like the one in the video (or any of the other now semi famous open gaming consoles) would be better for those people that keep saying the pandora needs to be smaller. Or more like those other open consoles. Just buy a caanoo or something. Or possibly that thing in the video. I don't know.

EDIT: Also, was that DS emulation I saw? Why in Gods holy universe is that thing able to do ds emulation and not the pandora? That's a rhetorical question obviously, its a screen thing BUT I AM STILL PRETENDING TO BE MORE UPSET ABOUT THIS THAN I ACTUALLY AM. Hrumph

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: Also, was that DS emulation I saw? Why in Gods holy universe is that thing able to do ds emulation and not the pandora? That's a rhetorical question obviously, its a screen thing BUT I AM STILL PRETENDING TO BE MORE UPSET ABOUT THIS THAN I ACTUALLY AM. Hrumph

I didn't see any DS emulation. Maybe you're looking at the GBA emulation? Some games from the two systems have very similar art styles.

One 320x240 screen isn't even enough screen space to even handle the DS's two 256x192 screens.

What is the deadline cutoff for preorders so that production does not get delayed I know there are about 18 lest to sell but does this mean production cannot start until these have been sold.

I wish I could but it could be less than that as that figure is a few days old now hopefully not to far off now it's the final countdown.

I imagine that once the site is up and more info is available the last few will go fast.

I'll buy another one or two if it comes down to it

Some things I've been wondering about. And may not be able to find out until after the final model has shipped. But if gcw could answer them it might sway some on the edge pre orders.

- what is the battery life is expected to be of actual use at 800mhz?

- how long does it take to boot currently?

- can it be charged via USB and external power connection?

- can you confirm no ghoasting or visual tearing of motion on screen at 60fps?

- what is the maximum simultaneous button presses for combo buttons?

- what is the discharge rate when the device is off? % per day(s)

- how rugged is this compared to say the a320/a330? Same plastics/mold being used?

Those are good questions I would like answered as well

I think DS emulation, even on strong desktop stations still struggles...AFAIK

Yeah, they certainly do. Not worth it, really.

This is predominately false. No$gba can run a fair number of games correctly and at full speed on hardware 7+ years old. desmume will run the majority of games correctly and full speed on a current mid-range machine.

And neither are really that aggressively optimized (for instance, neither have a recompiler).

Back