GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

It has o-ring and is water and weather proof but it does not have venting so you would be unable to open it on a airplane flight only draw back. It has been tested at 80 foot  depth in water but o-ring must be seated and nothing impending it such as dirt or lint etc when sealed. As iphone like protective cover that would be neat but I think with controls and switches on sides and top of the console it would be a real difficult and expensive protector to make. As for not being elegant it is made to be a all weather durable carrying case not a elegant carrying case.

The console with 512MB was shipped to Europe on Feb 11th, 2013 and as of this moment has not arrived I'm unclear if customs has seized it or it was lost in transport. I will dispatch another to several of the developers  on Monday or Tuesday of this week March 4th or 5th, 2013.  

In hopes that if more then one get it that will resolve the issue and we can start flashing the darn things and get them out the door to you guys who have been patiently waiting for them.

On another note the cases I showed earlier here will go on sale very soon currently only the small Black and Clear cases. The price for the small cases is $17.00 plus shipping.

Medium cases will follow soon after as the foam to hold the console has to be created for the medium cases. There is no estimated cost for the medium case at this point as soon as I get one I will post an update.

They will ship in 4 to 7 days after you make your orders as the factory is actually here in the good ole USA.

I wonder if gcw's distributors are getting nervous. This is Justin's second funding campaign for new customers to purchase units but nothing to date has been shipped to the distributors to sell.

The only reason the Fundable "Reset Atari" campaign was started now was because the Atari assets will be sold at a predesignated time set currently for the mid or late April. We need the funds to pay an attorney and work on getting us the rights we seek as this matter goes through bankruptcy proceedings.

As for your question if I will continue to do a campaign each time I want a license the answer is no and most licenses I'm currently working on don't require me to purchase anything just provide a royalty to the liscensor as I'm the licensee.

As for the distributors there are three who have paid for consoles Evil Dragon of DragonBox.de, PureWicked.AU of https://sites.google.com/site/purewickedau/, and Wrath Of Khan.  If they have any concerns I'm sure they will voice them to me via e-mail/pm/phone call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Atari is in bankruptcy all of the current licensing deals will soon be null and void. Our intent is to try for total capture of the Atari IP from 1972 to 1996.

If we succeed in this, we will then eventually release it all to public domain around 2018, after we have reinvigorated the brand and launched our Atari branded Indie Software development studio.

If we are unable to acquire total IP, we will be seeking the licensing of all the game titles from the numerous game consoles Atari has released and some key PC titles. If we achieve this, of course we won't be able to release it to the public domain (because we won't own the IP), but we will be trying to preserve and reinvigorate the titles on not only the GCW Zero but numerous devices and operating systems.

I have numerous software/hardware developers and third party developers that can assist with porting the games and emulators or hardware from IP or licensing we gain from this bid for Atari rights to numerous devices in a matter of weeks after retaining the IP or licensing rights.

As stated above this is not just about the GCW Zero it’s about getting these games to numerous devices on a mass level to reinvigorate Atari as a brand and as a Game studio primarily focused at Indie Developers and their games.

This is also to keep the heritage and history of Atari alive for future generations as it is one of the founding fathers of gaming.

This is not the only company we seeking licensing from as most companies we can secure rights with just a royalty from each title sold and secure a few we can give away free.

I'm working on this as best I can while staying on top of production, the only thing that could or would delay shipment of GCW Zero is a factory issue or logistics issue with shipping the consoles.

Acquiring licensing has nothing to do with manufacturer or shipment of the SE or KS GCW Zero.

This has always been about making emulation via emulators for multiple games from multiple game studios legitimate and legal for all

There will always be some closed source for profit games on the GCW Zero from Indie Developers and the like. This does not in turn take away from the fact 85 to 90 percent of all software on the console is still open source and free to everyone.

The points of why we are seeking Atari IP are above and what the money is being spent for which is to acquire the IP in total for 1972 to 1996 or at least licensing and make emulation legitimate and legal.

If we acquire the total IP yes the plan is to release a good portion of all the IP to the public Domain by 2018. Relaunching a defunct studio and making it for and about Indie Development will require a cash flow for the near future.

If you choose to use Emulators out there already to include the ROMS that is your choice and I don't plan to take any legal recourse if we were to secure the IP in total. This is about something bigger which is making emulators and emulation legal and accepted.

There has been this cloud and grey area around emulation and emulators for way too long and we hope to be able to clear that cloud and foster new developers and hardware from this in a free and open environment.

This is more about making emulation of multiple games from multiple game studios via emulators legitimate and legal.

This is an interesting proposition to say the least. A few companies have tried to maintain the atari brand over the years albeit unsuccessfully. Was it midway west that were the vestiges of atari for a while i believe.San franciso rush and such. Then there was the infogrames rebranding. There was lots of stuff over the years.of course there was the jack tramiel era too.

It seems to me that many of ataris old classic franchises are nice, fondly remembered but hard to update in gameplay terms without said games becoming indistinguisgable from their original source material.

Id like to see the ataris overall game design ethos updated instead. Still it would be very nice to see the atari brand in loving arms for a change. A new console sounds very enticing indeed. I hope you have some innovations planned for any new atari branded system if ye are successful with your bid.

Next up, someone needs to buy commodore, amiga nd all intellectual properties yay.Well i can dream.

do you really think that the benefice out of the 250'000$ (once all gcw zero and t-shirt are paid) can buy atari brand and dozen of old classic game IP? that seems really far fetched to me...

Most of the games on the Atari consoles were by third parties, and nearly all of the games for the Amiga were by third parties. I hope they get their monies worth out of an investment like that.

do you really think that the benefice out of the 250'000$ (once all gcw zero and t-shirt are paid) can buy atari brand and dozen of old classic game IP? that seems really far fetched to me...
That's not what he is planning on doing, at least not from what I understand.  He is raising the cash separately via: http://www.fundable.com/reset-atari

Justin can I ask why you didn't go with Kickstarter again as opposed to Fundable?

That's not what he is planning on doing, at least not from what I understand.  He is raising the cash separately via: http://www.fundable.com/reset-atari

Justin can I ask why you didn't go with Kickstarter again as opposed to Fundable?
that is clearly what he intent to do from what I understand... and most people will visibly pay 30 or 45$ and get a t-shirt or pay 150$ for a GCW zero, so you need to subtract the good price to know how much he will have to buy Atari... and buying the old atari assets an brand seems unprobable for at maximum 100k, no?

and I think he explained that KS does not support that kind of action, KS is for selling new goods, not invest money to buy a brand and IP

that is clearly what he intent to do from what I understand... and most people will visibly pay 30 or 45$ and get a t-shirt or pay 150$ for a GCW zero, so you need to subtract the good price to know how much he will have to buy Atari... and buying the old atari assets an brand seems unprobable for at maximum 100k, no?

and I think he explained that KS does not support that kind of action, KS is for selling new goods, not invest money to buy a brand and IP
Yes you are right, I got confused and thought you meant money from the GCW KS would go toward this. But yes, it does seem as you say that money raised via Fundable will be less the GCW Manufacturing costs for those pledge levels 

it looks more like this is the base hardware, where GCW might have made some changes (or not). and on which they developed the OS and the emulator...

specially since they used some black tape over the logo in early GCW video...

an interesting question is whether the GCW OS/software will directly run on theses H350 or no. but seen the price difference, there's just no reason to buy the H350, and flash it without support and warranty.

Drum Roll Please..... Announcement time the long awaited news we are now licensed for The C-64 and Amiga Computers as an emulator via licensing for the bios. We are also licensed for numerous software titles on both computers. Still more licensing news too come in near future....

Back