GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

2312653.jpg

Very nice

Are you able to adjust the text size on these menu screens easy enough in config file or something? To prevent overlay, having it a few point smaller?

Very nice

Are you able to adjust the text size on these menu screens easy enough in config file or something? To prevent overlay, having it a few point smaller?
I think you can I am trying to find out if anyone can help me please let me know how to do it thank you in advance.

It has two shoulder buttons too.as long as any possible emu has a control config option it should be fine.
 Then where do you map the N64's shoulder buttons?

Code:
    GCW zero   = N64   
  Analog stick = analog stick 
             B = A 
             X = B 
 Left shoulder = Z             
Right Shoulder = right shoulder
         start = start
             A = C↓
             Y = C←
               = C↑ 
               = C→

Very nice

I think you can I am trying to find out if anyone can help me please let me know how to do it thank you in advance.
I think the DMENU app might be able to do that, amongst other things, it can space out the padding between text and icon at least

http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-releases/dmenu-0-6-released/msg5883/

Everyone we've come under fire in the forums and now on Kick Starter comments section for the specs of The GCW Zero. I know and you know realistically that 256MB of RAM is more then enough and another 256MB to equal 512MB would be over kill.

But in order to make the Kick Starter a goal and successful we would like to make a stretch goal of 150K for the standard model to have 512MB. This will also standardize the memory size for all GCW Zero's so all apps/games/emulators can all be optimized to utilize the RAM the same way.

This will not make the SE no longer special as we will make the internal storage cards on the SE 32GB microSDXC. I really need a vote pretty darn quickly on this so we can get the stretch goal posted if most agree.

^^^^^^Id say do what you need to do, to make the kickstarter a success. Go for it. put 512 mb in the standard version if you have to.

I think you would be wise to use 512. I dont think youve hit the wall yet as many ports and apps are all sw rendered. Having more to play with when the GPU is actually in use could be critical.

I tried ported porting Hurrican to the rPi, which only had 256 mb ram. The way its setup is you can pick dedicated memory slices. Hurrican uses a good amount of texture ram and system memory. I can run the game but so far I had to shrink the textures to a point of absurdity. The only way it may run as rendered is if I use annoying texture compression. rPi is now shipping with 512 ram.

Pandora had issues too with my 256 mb unit until I started using pvrtc.

Granted you only have 320x240 (which i think is the biggest let down), so textures probably should be adjusted. A game like Hurrican wouldn't be possible with requiring a 640x480 resolution.

Is ram really that much more expensive? Doesnt seems like it should be these days.

If not Im also really thinking about this being a stretch goal. I havnt read the comments, but if people really expect this by default they may not be willing to risk funding in the case it doesnt happen. What if you get the original goal, but youve moved the needed goal by doing this? I guess to me it doesnt sound like a strech goal.

Just my opinions and thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone think we would have a worldwide known Game Developer wishing us success with our KickStarter???

Well in fact we actually do Brian Fargo from Wasteland and Interplay Studios just did that on his twitter page not more then 11 hours ago.

Below is a paste of his actual tweet:

@BrianFargo

These guys have 14 days to go and proudly support #KickingitForward with their open source console. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gcw/gcw-zero-open-source-gaming-handheld

rather than a stretch reward, why not additional pledge levels for SE units?

GCW Zero got double RAM and double internal storage!

After some serious debate in the comments section here on our Kick Starter page and other forums, we have decided to upgrade the RAM from 256MB to 512MB.

We have also decided to upgrade the internal storage capacity from 8GB to 16GB on the console.

We think both of these upgrades will provide more value for the money you are pledging to get this great gaming console we call The GCW-Zero.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gcw/gcw-zero-open-source-gaming-handheld

From today's update on Kickstarter.  Perhaps there might be some skilled folks out there who want to help:

We are diligently working on implementing mini HDMI/Analog TV out to the console currently and it looks like we will have Analog TV out very soon. So keep your eyes out for a demonstration in the coming weeks of TV out function.

We are also working on the Open GL implementation we have a team of three dedicated developers working on it right now the driver is closed source but our hope is to very soon have an open source driver.

We are also working on USB 2.0 OTG but that is slow going. If you are a developer and interested in helping out the cause and have driver development experience in either USB or OpenGL, We could definitely use the assistance to implement these two features a lot quicker. If you are interested please contact me @ GCW@GCW-Zero.com

Once we achieve these three goals we will be comparable to the GAMESTICK only our console will be portable and playable on the go versus having to have a TV to use the device we believe that’s one advantage of our device over most on the market right now.

The new Yinlips is only US$ 62.80 from DX
Operating System Android 4.0
Processor BOXCHIP A10
Memory Capacity 512MB
Display Size 4.3 Inch
Screen Resolution 480 x 272 Pixels
Touch Screen Capacitive

If this thing get clockworkmod or a plain linux image GCW is BEEPed

Back