Given up my pandora dream, shall I get a Galaxy S2 or Xperia Play?

Shits just too expensive.

Anywa I've found an Xperia play for 125 on net and an S2 for 175.

Which one should I get?

I already have an Icontrolpad but connecting the two doesn't seem that portable. Lol.

The S2 is twice as fast as the Play and the Play hast only 300mb internal storage.

I'd go for the S2. The Xperia Play is, in my humble opinion, godawful. Now I've not tried an S2 for comparison, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the hype is not for naught.

Bit of a shame about the Pandora, though, as it still absolutely smashes smartphones for emulation.

Indeed, the iControlPad and phone aren't too portable when connected together, but they're both pocketable. Get more pockets, or leave your wallet at home... yeah, perhaps not!

Product 3 may or may not affect your decision.

I have both an xperia play and a pandora... if you are just looking for retro console emulation. When considering performance, they are very similar. Full speed on both with everything up to N64

the N64 emulator on the xperia play (n64oid) performs slightly better due to device specs or whatever is optimized for the xperia play software wise.

The controls and keyboard are much better on the pandora than the xperia play's physical buttons. And light years better than the xperia play's virtual nubs and onscreen keyboard.

the choice is yours between the xperia play and pandora.

EDIT: I have an iCP also and while it fixes the physical control issue, it is another device to carry with you and it will drain your battery faster... it's a give and take depending on your needs.

EDIT2: @gadgetoid- I try to avoid responding to your posts as we more often than not have very different points of views on issues. But what metric are you using to say the pandora smashes smart phones in terms of emulation? If anything it would have to be emulation of obscure consoles that havnen't been ported to those platforms yet. The majority of the mainstream consoles have smart phone ports. If you are using performance as in FPS and fluidity, then they are extremely comparable there as well. Color me confused

Last edited by a moderator:
S2 is better at everything due to better spec and nicer screen, but if you want to enjoy emu the Play is the one IMO

I've got the Play, a downgrade from my prev phone, but I got so annoyed with touch screen controls for emus, they just lame.

Personally I'm glad I did, not as fast when browsing etc but gaming is a joy on it.

If of course you ok carrying iCP and the S2, that probably is a better combo

Plus a whole load of non-emu standard Android games work with the Play physical controls, which is nice.

I wonder if Sony Ericsson will release another Xperia Play model one time

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a play for ten months but decided to sell up (on ebay right now in fact). its great for emulation but the touch pad things are dreadful and some of the newer android games dont run that well due to the hardware being a bit older. Get an S2 a ps3 pad and an otg usb lead.

I have an S3 & an iControlpad & can honestly say I prefer using the Pandora for games.

Because the controls are built in games just work, no messing about redefining the keys or turning on Bluetooth.

The couple of games on MAME I have found that run better on the S3 than on the Pandora don't really make the extra effort with it for a few minutes play (commuting) worth while. Until Pandora 2 comes out & can run PS2 or anything similar I see no point getting more horse power.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Back