Glow In The Dark Keys?

God Ginrai posted on May 20 2009 at 01:28 PM said:
VRAndy posted on May 20 2009 at 02:01 PM said:
rokdcasbah posted on May 18 2009 at 12:48 AM said:
My eyesight is fine, and trust me, lit keys are a godsend. But I guess the usefulness of it depends on how often you actually have to type in the dark. As of the moment I don't have anyone to worry about waking up :(
Aha! This is why I always use the Das Keyboard. It never even occurs to me to turn on the lights so I can see the keys better.
I want to get one of those.
-God Ginrai
or you can get a model m for half the price with better tactile and just ignore the key labels

Last edited by a moderator:
or you can get a model m for half the price with better tactile and just ignore the key labels

The tactile on the Das Keyboard is pretty much identical to the Model M.

I won't deny that I paid a bit extra for a keyboard with no labels. I fully admit that it's a bit silly. Nothing wrong with silly. I can afford it. I still wound up paying more for my mouse.

-Andy

PoisonedV posted on May 20 2009 at 05:13 PM said:
Where can you get one for half that price? I've never seen one for less then 100$USD. That's only a little cheaper.

Spectralist posted on May 21 2009 at 12:35 AM said:
PoisonedV posted on May 20 2009 at 05:13 PM said:
Where can you get one for half that price? I've never seen one for less then 100$USD. That's only a little cheaper.
Where are you looking? If you can't find one for a few dollars at a local Goodwill or thrift store, there are always lots being sold on eBay for far less than $100.
A brand new black one (the rarest type) can go for that much, but not the vast majority. You can even find brand new ones occasionally for less than that.

Hmm. You'd have to use the console in the day to be able to use it in the evening with glow in the dark paint, since it can't charge when it's closed. I much prefer the LED idea.

PoisonedV posted on May 20 2009 at 08:13 PM said:
My eyesight is fine, and trust me, lit keys are a godsend. But I guess the usefulness of it depends on how often you actually have to type in the dark. As of the moment I don't have anyone to worry about waking up :(
Aha! This is why I always use the Das Keyboard. It never even occurs to me to turn on the lights so I can see the keys better.
-God Ginrai
I would rather have a new keyboard. Also, the model M isn't USB, I thought. And finally, the price is the reason I don't already have a das Keyboard. When I have enough money that I can splurge for a das Keyboard, then I'll consider my options.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai posted on May 21 2009 at 03:35 AM said:
I would rather have a new keyboard. Also, the model M isn't USB, I thought. And finally, the price is the reason I don't already have a das Keyboard. When I have enough money that I can splurge for a das Keyboard, then I'll consider my options.

-God Ginrai
Well, in practical terms you'll probably have to use a PS/2 to USB adapter (there are a few that work, but not all, so it's best to check around first) because the Model M requires something on the order of 100 mA of current, whereas most motherboards don't supply nearly that much on the PS/2 port. Alternately, you can mod it with a resistor, or use it with a powered KVM switch like I do.

God Ginrai posted on May 20 2009 at 09:35 PM said:
-God Ginrai
-God Ginrai

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/customizer.html
official successor. basically a model m

PoisonedV posted on May 21 2009 at 04:14 AM said:
-God Ginrai
-God Ginrai

Well, yeah, but the build quality is lower and it's a good deal more expensive than an eBay Model M. If you have to have it new/custom, though, that's your best bet.

Tom` posted on May 20 2009 at 10:48 PM) [quote="God Ginrai posted on May 21 2009 at 03:35 AM said:

-God Ginrai
Well, in practical terms you'll probably have to use a PS/2 to USB adapter (there are a few that work, but not all, so it's best to check around first"] because the Model M requires something on the order of 100 mA of current, whereas most motherboards don't supply nearly that much on the PS/2 port. Alternately, you can mod it with a resistor, or use it with a powered KVM switch like I do.[/quote]Most PCs and especially laptops don't have PS/2 ports on them anymore. And I would be using the keybord with my laptop most of the time.

PoisonedV posted on May 20 2009 at 11:14 PM said:
-God Ginrai
-God Ginrai

How is that official in any way?

-God Ginrai

Vorporeal posted on May 21 2009 at 12:05 AM) [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Model_M_keyboard said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Model_M_keyboard[/URL]

The second picture on the right side looks basically identical to the one on the linked website (except for coloring"].
But that doesn't make it in any way an "official" successor. Unless IBM or the original designer of the Model M says "Yes, this is the successor", then there is no way it can be the official successor. It could pull off what the Pandora is doing, and be a spiritual successor, but not an official one.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai posted on May 21 2009 at 03:56 AM said:

-God Ginrai
Well, Unicomp owns the patents (originally developed by IBM, but they sold out to Lexmark around 1994, with a corresponding perceived loss in build quality), or at least they did, since the original patents probably expired a few years ago.

Mine is a 1391401 manufactured March 23, 1988, so an original IBM. If you have a laptop, you'll need that adapter, of course. It should also be mentioned that the chief disadvantage of these keyboards is the amount of noise they generate (this applies equally to the Unicomp ones, unless you get one of the rubber-dome ones, in which case, what's the point?). They really are superb keyboards, though, and extremely durable.

I have both a model m and one of the unicomp ones and they function identically. I haven't tried the Das keyboard, so I can't compare quality, though. chances are if you order a pandora though you arent that tight on cash though so if you have the money it wouldnt hurt to get both

Tom` posted on May 21 2009 at 12:11 AM) [quote="God Ginrai posted on May 21 2009 at 03:56 AM said:

-God Ginrai
Well, Unicomp owns the patents (originally developed by IBM, but they sold out to Lexmark around 1994, with a corresponding perceived loss in build quality), or at least they did, since the original patents probably expired a few years ago.

Mine is a 1391401 manufactured March 23, 1988, so an original IBM. If you have a laptop, you'll need that adapter, of course. It should also be mentioned that the chief disadvantage of these keyboards is the amount of noise they generate (this applies equally to the Unicomp ones, unless you get one of the rubber-dome ones, in which case, what's the point?"]. They really are superb keyboards, though, and extremely durable.[/quote]I love the sound of an IBM model M.

PoisonedV posted on May 21 2009 at 12:31 AM said:
I have both a model m and one of the unicomp ones and they function identically. I haven't tried the Das keyboard, so I can't compare quality, though. chances are if you order a pandora though you arent that tight on cash though so if you have the money it wouldnt hurt to get both
Nah, it took most of my spare money to pre-order the Pandora. Not to mention all the other distractions that are trying to get me to buy them.

-God Ginrai

Back