Gmu Gp2x Music Player V0.3.0 Released

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
wejp released a new version of his great musicplayer.

gmu.png

It features, Playlists, OGG and MP3 support, MOD support, etc.

A LOT of changes (since I forgot to upload and post the last major version).

So better download it and try out for yourself :)

Download: GMU v0.3.0
Homepage: http://wejp.k.vu/projects/gmu/

whats new from 0.2.0? anyway great player. I alternate between this oldplay and craigamp. all well made music players and a great alternative to the default one provided by gph. I seem to get better sound out of these programs where with the gph music player id switch between the different eq settings but sometimes none would sound quite right. there is no eq settings for these programs yet that all give great sound. this may become my music player of choice though it will have some healthy competition from craigamp which should have a new version soon.

I love this community especially the devs. giving us so many great choices for a multitude of things.

This is great. My one complaint, and I have this complaint for a lot of multimedia apps, not just for GP2X, is that it cannot retrieve the album art if it is in the ID3 data.

This is great. My one complaint, and I have this complaint for a lot of multimedia apps, not just for GP2X, is that it cannot retrieve the album art if it is in the ID3 data.

Yes, that's right. Wejp told us, that he wants to add this feature in the future...

Regards,
Stephan

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like XMs and ITs played correctly now! How you did it?! ;)
May be even MO3 support is possible? http://lclevy.free.fr/mo3/

Album art is a great idea, pity that player can't take it from iTunes-created MP3s.

Update: Something wrong with filters in IT modules and "note off". Other things are good!

I created a quick fix for the default skin. IMHO, green on black is better than orange on black. Anyway...

darkgrn.png

Download

Looks very nice. :)

As for the module playback, I'm using mikmod now, which is much more suitable for the GP2X as it does not use floating-point arithmetics as modplug does.
Besides that, other changes in Gmu 0.3.0 are:

* Freely configurable keyboard mappings (keymap.conf)
* More customizable skinning
* The file browser only shows files that Gmu can play
* When inserting files in the playlist, the cursor will be moved to the next item so you don't have to switch between file browser and playlist all the time when inserting multiple items
* The random generator is initialized on startup so that Gmu does not play all items in the same order in random mode each time it is started

Oh and thanks for all your nice comments!

Sounds cool. I'll try it out.
Never got the hang of how to make a playlist for the old ver. (in winamp, didn't wanna add 150 songs manually o_O;)
Is it easier with this one?

Dude, this rocks!

Ever since firmware 2.1.0 came along half the mp3s i download (podcasts) play too slowly on the official player. This one plays them perfick!

Thanks man!

I may be stupid, but can someone explain to me how the album art works? Does it just grab the .jpg file in the album directory. I can't seem to get it to work.

Sounds cool. I'll try it out.
Never got the hang of how to make a playlist for the old ver. (in winamp, didn't wanna add 150 songs manually o_O;)
Is it easier with this one?

Gmu can open m3u files which can make things a little easier.
In a future release it will be possible to add whole directories to the playlist, but that is not possible yet.

is there a facility for fastforward / rewind in this player?

Not yet.

I may be stupid, but can someone explain to me how the album art works? Does it just grab the .jpg file in the album directory. I can't seem to get it to work.

By default Gmu tries to load the first jpg file it finds in the directory of the current file, but you can change that if you want to open a jpg matching a given pattern.

This should be the default music player in the next firmware.

I love it.

Another vote for this. Great work wejp! :D

I know that is misuse of resources, but doesn't anyone feel the need for graphical analyzers, while using the 2x on the car, or smtg? :)

Another thing I've been thinking about is regarding moving the player to background to run other apps, or read an e-book, etc. Did anyone ever think of porting MPD and use the great work from wejp or Craig to adapt their players as a front end? One could exit the player and the music would keep playing in background... Does it make any sense?

Nice work wejp. Is there a way to scroll down faster or more than one file (or playlist entry) at a time? Thanks.

Back