Godot game engine goes Open Source

Not if you want to use 3.0 as that only has a GLES 3 renderer.
But they are already working on bringing back GLES 2 support, so from 3.1 on it should be possible again.
However I'm not sure how well the Pandora will perform with those new PBR features in there as I remember it struggling even with "just" pixel lighting.

So if you only use simple 2D or very simple 3D, it should be feasible in the future.

Well I tried. Doesn't execute. When run from Terminal with ./ I get "cannot execute binary file".

I guess it's going to be more complicated than I thought. I wish I could get a more verbose reason why it doesn't work.

That error often occurs when a binary has the wrong architecture. How exactly did you compile the game? Have you built godot for the pandora and are compiling the code it from there? Please post the output of
Code:
file name_of_your_binary

That error often occurs when a binary has the wrong architecture. How exactly did you compile the game? Have you built godot for the pandora and are compiling the code it from there? Please post the output of
Code:
file name_of_your_binary

D'oh. That's pretty obvious and I didn't even think about it. I attempted to run a compiled game made by the godot engine on my Ubuntu computer and then tried to run the godot editor that I downloaded from the downloads page for 32bit Linux. In both cases the file produced is:

Code:
ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, not stripped.

Makes sense I'd need to recompile it for ARM, etc. But I'm not really familiar with the process so if anyone could give me a hand I'd really appreciate it.

I've found a list of requirements and basic instructions. Not sure if the Pandora meets them.

I tried messing around with Godot today. Didn't really get the hang of it, but I guess that would take more than a day.

I had been specifically avoiding returning to game development until now, but I don't really have much else to do all day, except think bad thoughts. I was afraid of my games being judged harshly, but now I'm even more afraid of what happens if I don't have something to do.

@x1212 do you think the optimizations you made will still be valid for 3.2? I might try out building it myself sometime soon.

As far as I remember I only added optimizations to the 3D physics (some NEON stuff in the collision detection) but since they added Bullet that might no longer be relevant.
Since they changed the rendering a lot, I think the diff between what I did to make that work and the latest official version might be to big to tell ...

One problem back then was getting the buildscripts to work with that combination of dependencies (GLES 2, EGL but with x11 ...) and change the context creation for the Renderer.
Then there were some odd things about how GLES2 behaves on the Pandora (some of them dependant on the driver version) like the precision of some of the standard Godot shaders inputs being wrong, or combinations of "not power of two" textures and mipmapping creating artifacts ...

I wish I had a little more time to look at this again ...

I think my main focus will be getting 3.2 to run on the Pyra one day. Since it is in the Debian hf repo, it should be easy to install, but who knows how well GLES2 will work on the Pyra.

Maybe I’ll start with just setting up a build environment on my x86 box so I have a baseline to compare to, then try building from master on Pandora in Code::Blocks. After that I'll start poking around in your PND and repo to see how you are setting up your environment.

Also it's likely that the Debian repo version works, but uses some kind of software OpenGL, since that is something you quickly end up with if you don't take care to make sure you realy got the right dev-packages installed and those are actually used by the build-system.
(btw. I'm not up to date with the status of 3D on Pyra, did they get that to work by now?)

hns posts updates showing progress of getting 3D working. Last I saw was this: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/th...ale-from-the-dragons-mouth.98981/post-1670513
Post automatically merged:

Unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to make use of the new Godot 4.0 Vulkan renderer with the omap5.
No, not the Vulkan renderer. But 4.0 will still support ES2. And my understanding is that there will be general improvements to the 3D that will benefit ES2 as well as Vulkan because reduz is refactoring the renderer extensively.

Back