GOG.com

Who wants that bullshit game anyway where everything is procedurally generated and has an infinite amount of (empty) planets ?

I'd rather buy a game which is carefully crafted instead.

I am with you - but isn't it basically the same with Elite or Minecraft (to mention two "household" names) ?

Exciting times for me on gog : Shardlight, Day of the Tentacle HD (would have preferred the original version though) and (hopefully) Deponia Doomsday soon > I guess I will have to buy a new battery for my x201s so I can play them during train rides

Elite was fun back in the days but i would not play it anymore. As for minecraft it does not interest me either but in multiplayer maybe its like a giant sandbox.

Day of the Tentacle HD (would have preferred the original version though)

As far as I understood from the video, you should be able to choose if to use the older graphic/interface or the new one

Deponia Doomsday
What?
wut?
WAAAAAAT?
I recently finished Deponia, because I'm like "this is in my catalogue, has some pretty good reviews, I'll do it."
I didn't care for the third game at all, thought the ending was terrible, and immediately went looking for information on Deponia 4. This was literally, like, 3 weeks ago, mid February, and I wasn't just finding multi-year old posts complaining about the ending, I was finding entirely new, recent posts complaining about the ending and lamenting the fact that the creators had recently re-iterated that that was it, the story was complete, there wasn't going to be anymore and you had to live with it. I even went so far as to warn my friends against playing it, doing them the same favour they did for me regarding Mass Effect 3.
WHERE THE HELL DID THIS GAME COME FROM?!?!?!
I've found the announcement trailer from February 25th and before that, NOTHING!
Are you trying to tell me that a game developer has spent months, possibly years, working on a highly anticipated game, not only keeping it secret but actively dissuading their customers from expecting such a sequel? Have I stepped into some sort of alternate reality? Am I a god that can will games into existence by complaining enough?
Funny anecdote, I was "designing" games with my sister when I was really little and came up with a game featuring a pogo stick mechanic: less than a month later a friend told me about this fun new game he'd been playing called Commander Keen. Two points of data, that's enough to make an assertion. I shall use this power for good and only some evil.

As far as I understood from the video, you should be able to choose if to use the older graphic/interface or the new one
Its not about a "uhh, I want the original feeling" stance, just portability - having the remake restrains me from playing it on other plattforms (like the Pyra).

Am I a god that can will games into existence by complaining enough?
See...we wanted to tell you, but eventually dediced that it was for the better not to tell you
But congrats, you suprised a lot of people with that - this wasn't on anybodies mind.

Funny anecdote, I was "designing" games with my sister when I was really little and came up with a game featuring a pogo stick mechanic: less than a month later a friend told me about this fun new game he'd been playing called Commander Keen. Two points of data, that's enough to make an assertion. I shall use this power for good and only some evil.
C'mon everybody has this story - after seeing Aliens (I guess I was 8 then?), I pretty much "invented" the 3D Shooter genre, complete with a working slide show prototype in Visual Basic 3 (?)
But wait, you have a sister ? If she got calves only half as amazing as yours I may visit Canada after all.... (damn !, imagine what someone that is actually is funny, could have done with that)

I have more than 2, just not for games. I willed things like the show Ancient Aliens into existence, and other stupidness/weirdness.

Having an idea just to find out that it's already being worked on is something I hate <.<

Having an idea just to find out that it's already being worked on is something I hate <.<
I love it. I get whatever it is that I thought was a good idea that much quicker, and I didn't have to do the work. I was speaking with someone about something they want last week and had one of those ideas to make it better. I mentioned it to them so they looked into it and said that someone was already making or selling it. Now I can't even remember what it was.

About the Ancient Aliens thing, it wasn't the show alone I meant, but some of the ideas behind it. Back when I was between 5 and 7 I mentioned my variation of panspermia, which was that after extraterrestrial exploration of an uninhabited Earth they left behind waste products or had something on the landing craft, or otherwise introduced microrganisms, and eventually here we are. There was other stuff that I didn't share with others, however I eventually found books by the Ancient Aliens people in libraries, and they made a television series. They go to extremes, and I think they may take some theories a bit too seriously, but it is still fun and interesting to think about. (I was also a big fan of the Stargate film when it came out, and was super happy when they turned it into a tv series...with MacGyver!!!).

Insomnia sale is on again, no sleep tonight
They rarely screwed up so much like this time.
In the first hours most users (including me) couldn't see which games are currently in it since the image server was botched so after a few hours they made a workaround that at least shows the title of the game when the image doesn't load.
Showing images on a webpage seems to need some mad coding skills.
Windward was the only game that did interest me so far anyway.

BTW: Someone got Witcher 3 as a freebie after buying 10 games, since they blocked gifting of games you don't own yet I wouldn't have any use for it since I won't ever have a modern Windows system again.

Last edited:
Got myself "Satellite Reign" and "Crypt of the necrodancer"

But I am curious why they are doing their sale in this style> just for fun, just so its not a "standard" sale or is this actually generating more sales ?

Limited time offers lead to more sales than normal offers. In that case, the very limited time might get a few more sales than a regular weekly/week-end sale would.

Got myself "Satellite Reign" and "Crypt of the necrodancer"

But I am curious why they are doing their sale in this style> just for fun, just so its not a "standard" sale or is this actually generating more sales ?
The insomnia sales are kind of a tradition on GoG by now and I've been active in the last ones.
It's supposed to generate impulse buys but imho the discounts aren't good enough this time to trigger me and I've got a huge backlog anyway.

Last edited:
Is it odd, that they "already" ran out of free game codes ?

Yes, maybe they triggered it manually because some people indeed got very expensive freebies like "Witcher 3" and "Kerbal Space Program".
Afaik their code was choosing games from the promo pool and preferring ones that weren't already in the customers library, leaving the expensive ones when it comes the most people that participate in such promos often and buy all the cheap stuff they can get.

I am a spoiled brat - regarding prices (maybe otherwise too)*:
Yesterday the news about the Deponia 4 release popped up in my news reader, and I was just two clicks away from an "instabuy", but then I saw the price ~27€ (with 10% off, but it also includes a free game: "Gomo") and my interest in buying the game was down to zero (probably the fact that you could get it for about 10€ at launch day propelled that change of heart).
Somewhat similar experience with No mans sky. I was very interested in it, but as soon as I saw the price (~60€) I knew I would probably get this a year or two down the read at the earliest.
What happened to me ? I remember beeing in my early teens saving for about 5-6 months (which should roughly equal 40-45€ today) before I could go into my favourite video game store to buy Ultima 7. At no point I hesitated bevor grabbing the box from the shelf nor did i regret it afterwards, although this was a lot of money for me, back then (well it kind of still is for me nowadays, but not in a scale that is comparable to situation of my young me).

*Disclaimer, this is not about regional pricing, anybody that wants to indulge that, please do it some other time

Edit: small price correction for Deponia

Last edited:
Since I have a huuuuge backlog, I only buy games when they drop below 5€. Most of them evenutally do, or find their way inside a bundle with a similar average price.
The only exception would be collaborative funding of something I really want to encourage.

Back