Good Mp3 Player

Tom` said:
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er88.aspx

They don't look particularly comfortable with the big bit hanging off each ear. I was thinking something more along the lines of this

http://skattertech.com/media/2007/03/motor...h-active-h9.jpg

but with the more in-ear buds.

Thinking about this now makes me think that I might end up using the pandora as a replacement for my Vaio pocket, who's battery is nowhere near what it use to be. Am going to need some form of remote though...time for some more investigation.

Last edited by a moderator:
About bluetooth headphones : Note that to actually use bluetooth headphones, you will need proper "driver"/"profile". I dont know whether the Pandora will come with bluetooth headphone profile already working or not.

Nokia N8xx devices had problems with stereo bluetooth for a long time. I think that was only fixed a few months ago in the "Diablo" firmware update for the N8xx but not 100% sure.

So dont count on stereo bluetooth just yet.

The Pandora will have the BlueZ stack, which supports everything.

I've heard that even with good headphones, audio quality over Bluetooth can be crappy. Does anybody have any experience with this?

atomicthumbs said:

I've heard that even with good headphones, audio quality over Bluetooth can be crappy. Does anybody have any experience with this?
When you say everything, does that include generic bluetooth remotes? e.g the Tom Tom remote? I assume software would still need to be written to interpret the button presses and apply the desired action.

atomicthumbs said:

Having bluez does not guarantee you willl be able to use it. You will probably be able to pair the headphones out of the box but pairing != use.

Another question from me while I'm theorising things, would software be able to control the volume to the bluetooth headphones? (or do they all have their own volume controls anyway?) I know there was much debate about the pandora's volume control, and I'm 100% for the wheel (damn gp2x being so loud when you boot it up) but I'm just thinking if I have the pandora in my bag or something I don't want to have to get it out to change the volume. Ideally id like to be able to do that and more via a remote.

Why is it that a Kingston 32GB almost 2x more expensive that a PNY one? Both are good brands in my opinion.

PNY has horrible read/write speeds (class) and they generally have cheaper build quality

Tozarian said:
Why is it that a Kingston 32GB almost 2x more expensive that a PNY one? Both are good brands in my opinion.
I'm not quite sure, to be perfectly honest... I thought it had something to do with transfer speeds like what cosurgi and poisoned said (the PNY is class 4, thus 4 mb/s). However, I notice that a Kingston 32GB is ALSO a class 4 SDHC card, so I guess Kingston, for lack of a better word, sucks. The reviews for the PNY make it seem like a decent card.

As for build quality, Kingston isn't necessarily that far from PNY in terms of build quality... Though my Kingston MicroSDs may argue that point.

1st post...

i heard the pandora has amazing sound quality (saw it in a 2 month thread a while ago), and im thinking of using it as a main music player...

no one in this post said anything about the quality of pandora's music capabilities.

polkunus said:
1st post...

i heard the pandora has amazing sound quality (saw it in a 2 month thread a while ago), and im thinking of using it as a main music player...
no one in this post said anything about the quality of pandora's music capabilities.

MWeston gave some details on either the DSP or the amp chip that was being used and some other people said they were really good (too lazy to find those posts). It's difficult for anyone to say much about the quality as not many people have the dev boards and audio quality is very subjective (is that the right word?). i.e depends very much on who is doing the listening, but from a technical point its supposed to be good.

Chip said:
It may be more discreet than you think. Sure, a Pandora my be huge compared to an iPod Nano, but the Pandora has bluetooth. If you get a decent pair of BT headphones you can keep the Pandora in your pocket or a backpack or anywhere nearby, and not have to worry about headphone cords. Not that big a deal for everybody, but it's worth considering.
Pandora will also have a much better battery life when it is just playing audio. For sitting on a desk at work, I'd say it is the perfect tool for the job.

polkunus said:
1st post...

Well, I wouldn't expect TOO much... I'm not saying it will have bad sound quality, but using it as a main music player might just be pushing it a little too much. For instance, lack of a proper subwoofer...

Rivus said:
Well, I wouldn't expect TOO much... I'm not saying it will have bad sound quality, but using it as a main music player might just be pushing it a little too much. For instance, lack of a proper subwoofer...
I think he means main portable music player. Anyone planning on using this as a non-portable music player would surely be thinking of hooking up external speakers, can't imagine listening to music one the internal speakers being very nice.

Didnt someone say that it wouldnt include mp3 playing because of mp3 licensing issues? and if so, does that mean it will come out of the box with the ability to play ogg?

i couldnt find the post, but all i remember is people drooling over the sound quality. i know someone said it was better than studio quality.

polkunus said:
i couldnt find the post, but all i remember is people drooling over the sound quality. i know someone said it was better than studio quality.
Have a look through this thread and read MWestons posts (he`s the motherboard designer/builder), Some interesting info there. :)

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...uality&st=0

Trooper

Rivus said:
polkunus said:
1st post...

well, the DAC seems to be quite good, so if nothing else you could hook up an amp and speakers to the line-out I guess. I wouldn't rely on the built-in speakers, though...

edit: here's something interesting...
MWeston said:
Actually quality audio was a priority. Pandora has the capability to reproduce so much more than 8-bit NES music. :)

Here are some specs:

- 99dB Signal to Noise Ratio
- 99dB dynamic range
- 150mW per channel into 16 ohms, THD no more than 0.1% at full power
- .005% THD into 10K ohm line level loads
- 95dB channel separation
- audio circuitry is filtered and driven on separate power supplies for noise isolation from digital circuitry
EDIT: By the way, I don't own an iPod and never will so I can't make that comparison for you :)

Haha, I got a good chuckle out of the ranting about the F100 GP2X's sound quality... It sounds like it's on the same level with the DS's sound capabilities. And even that's not too bad so long as you don't crank up the dB percentage too high.

Rivus said:
Haha, I got a good chuckle out of the ranting about the F100 GP2X's sound quality... It sounds like it's on the same level with the DS's sound capabilities. And even that's not too bad so long as you don't crank up the dB percentage too high.
hehe, that made me chuckle. I'm not laughing at you or anything, I've just never seen someone refer to dB percentage before, it's somewhat odd.

Back