Got displays, looking for keymats

Looked over a few different styles for the shoulder buttons that people have had here and on the web.

My opinion is two sized pairs for the Pyra could work. Something similar to the 3DS XL's for L1 and R1. Nice and big and resistant to shallow drops. For L2 and R2, about half the length of L1/R1 and placed on the back to the edge, like on the Gameboy SP, just above the larger triggers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, you must have missed the whole discussion regarding finding a suitable screen...

=~. O =
No I didn't. My point was: Because of the way Android handles rotation (which I happen to know) there is no difference between an android 5" phone or a 5" tablet, they can both work with portrait or landscape because they can rotate everything they display anyway. The only difference is what you "call" it.
True, but its not a matter of not being able to do this. It is a matter of being able to do it fast enough without using too much resources either CPU or GPU time. There isn't much point in designing a Pandoras replacement if it is barely any faster than the device its replacing.

Well, presumably Android will continue to use the GPU for rotation and other gubbins at all times, unless whoever does the port managed to get it using the rotation chip for stuff that it can. That means it'll eat through the battery faster, but no faster than it does on the Pandora already, and you'll still benefit from the faster CPU and GPU etc.

Does android still use significant chunks of GPU power when displaying in the screen's native orientation?

Does Askarus have any thoughts about the triggers? He added them to the pandora, so I guess he has a bit of experience about what works. (http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/7673-open-pandora-askarus-version//URL])
EvilDragon did explain the situation to me on Friday.

I still don't understand why the shoulder buttons are such a big issue and I do want to do some suggestions tomorrow (before the case designer will do some silly things and move both buttons side by side).

My instinct says the shoulder buttons will end side-by side but we will see.  An vertical array would need some heavy tweaks and adjustments like an "separator" between the buttons and so on. I tested it, my index fingers already cover the entire shoulder button area of my Pandora (yes, big hands) so it is nealy impossible to just push one button instead of two accidently, sadly. :unsure:

Does android still use significant chunks of GPU power when displaying in the screen's native orientation?
The amount of resources required does not really depend on the orientation once you're already using GPU. It's just a different model/view matrix being used.

The keys on this netbook keyboard are smaller than the area I can press with one finger. The keys on my Pandora definitely are, and I can even type on those with my thumbs. It's not simply a matter of the area you can touch, you can get away with far closer that that - although to be fair, I don't know how close.

My instinct says the shoulder buttons will end side-by side but we will see.  An vertical array would need some heavy tweaks and adjustments like an "separator" between the buttons and so on. I tested it, my index fingers already cover the entire shoulder button area of my Pandora (yes, big hands) so it is nealy impossible to just push one button instead of two accidently, sadly. :unsure:
I also fear it will end side by side.

But we'll see.

If they are well done then it's still not a big drawback.

A Lot of modern Games use 2 main shoulder buttons and the other 2 as an addition.

But we'll see.

A Lot of modern Games use 2 main shoulder buttons and the other 2 as an addition.
How about like this? WIth the curved design it should be easy to push only the intended button or both.

But we'll see.

How about like this? WIth the curved design it should be easy to push only the intended button or both.
That's a similar idea like my old one:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15441-yet-another-design-suggestion-for-pyra//URL]

cdXs4oL.png

Uh, this curve would actualy cause more the opposite effect, resulting in pressing always both buttons at once.  ;) Remember, these buttons are small. So or so, both would make it hard to push if the lid is opened 180° and I only use the Pandora with full upened lid, at least when gaming.

unbenannt-1ansy1.jpg

If the L1/L2 and R1/R2 pairs have to be side by side, then L1 and R1 would need to be convex/flat(Pandora exterior case cloning strikes again) and L2 and R2 concave to press each letter pair simultaneously. Maybe the span of both button pairs would be the same full length as one of the Pandora's shoulders. L2 and R2 would stretch to the "bowl" in each trigger and L1 and R1 would take up the rest of what's left. Shorter individual triggers though.

It's curious why adding shoulder buttons as a stack is more difficult to do in mass production than placing the same number of exterior buttons linearly. Who knows, who cares, I know. As long as there are four total plastered on the back then whatever will be will be on how well they function.

Uh, this curve would actualy cause more the opposite effect, resulting in pressing always both buttons at once.  ;) Remember, these buttons are small. So or so, both would make it hard to push if the lid is opened 180° and I only use the Pandora with full upened lid, at least when gaming.
You wouldn't press them straight down, but up or down at an angle. When pressing just one, the force would be along the normal of the middle of the curve. This way there's a 45 22.5° difference from pressing L1 or L2 to pressing L1+L2.

What you say is nice but it's not a matter of how it looks like but how to mass produce it.

As long as that won't work there's no need to make designs.

And that's why we have to accept what we get: What's impossible stays impossible (or way too expensive).

I have absolutely no idea what is feasible for mass production, so I can't filter any ideas based on viability. As most here, I could keep silent instead of throwing ideas that may or may not be viable. Which would you prefer?

I have absolutely no idea what is feasible for mass production, so I can't filter any ideas based on viability. As most here, I could keep silent instead of throwing ideas that may or may not be viable. Which would you prefer?
I don't know the exact reason as well.

All I can do is to make some more suggestions and that's it.

I just loaded some case parts in Blender and came along with some brilliant ideas.

Then I noticed the problem: The upper case part (see keyboard.stl).

There might be a shaft for the triggers, as it is still on the bottom part. This is not possible to manufacture because there is a hollow space above it.

Back