Gots my Email

thingie1234

Still Fresh
I got my shipping email earlier today.

And so now I plan to set up my SD cards so that all I'll have to do is plug them in and go. (following an appropriate charging time, of course)

But - I went to the file archive, and had no idea what emulators, for instance, are working, or the best, or what.

Specifically, if I wanted GameBoy Emulation, full speed, with (And this is the crucial part, as it gives me migraines) _no_ tearing, which one do I use?

Gnuboy or GNGB, or even GpSP? does that play Gameboy color?

Same for SNES (Snes9x4p or pocketsnes? Does either one play Super Mario RPG well? OR Megaman X3?

PS1 - rearmed or not?

I suspect picodrive is state of the art - are there even any other genesis emulators?

Or Commodore 64?

It comes down to this: I just don't know what is actually running the best at the moment, and would like some guidance.

If anyone can offer some, I'd appreciate it.

Check this from the wiki. Congratulations on getting your email. I haven't gotten mine yet so I cant speak from experience...

The emulator list on the wiki is probably the best place to find things like this out, and that's really only because it links to discussion threads about those respective emulators.

I'd suggest checking that out, if you haven't.

Check this from the wiki. Congratulations on getting your email. I haven't gotten mine yet so I cant speak from experience...

I saw the wiki already, but thank you for the link.

I was hoping to get some of the lucky owners to come in and say, "This has worked great for me, while that one goes faster, it loses all its savestates" or something like that.

anyone have some first hand experience?

WolfSpider has the right idea :)

A little thing I do is add a central storage place on the card for all my ROMS, which makes trying out different emulators a breeze (mostly). A lot of emulators will default to their own appdata folder when looking for ROMS, but keeping ROM sets in these folders can get messy.

First thing you'll be doing is creating the standard folder structure on your SD of course:

Code:
<SD>/pandora

<SD>/pandora/apps

<SD>/pandora/appdata/

<SD>/pandora/desktop/

<SD>/pandora/menu/

To this I add a ROMS folder structure, eg:

Code:
<SD>/pandora/roms

<SD>/pandora/roms/nes

<SD>/pandora/roms/psx

<SD>/pandora/roms/genesis

etc etc. With all your ROMs centralised outside the /appdata folders, you can swap / change / add / delete emulators at will without worrying about where your ROMs are located.

Mostly.

For the record, PCSXreARMed is what you want for PSX. Picodrive for Genesis/MD. Everything else, try all that are available, as there are often pros & cons for each option. :)

Most of the emulators are full speed, it's more the GUI which you will want to evaluate on them.

SNES, GBA, MAME, Amiga etc. all fly without issue.

There is only one N64 emu so you will be using it.

PSX has 2 options, PSX Rearmed is the best one, but PSX4ALL can run some games rearmed can't. I don't doubt that Notaz will get ReArmed working near perfectly eventually, he is an amazing programmer.

Thanks for answering a question I haven't asked yet with your recommendation of rearmed....

Notaz is definitely one of the best programmers from what I've been reading (Picodrive is perfect!) and I'm very excited to see how good he can get rearmed going...

WolfSpider has the right idea :)

A little thing I do is add a central storage place on the card for all my ROMS, which makes trying out different emulators a breeze (mostly). A lot of emulators will default to their own appdata folder when looking for ROMS, but keeping ROM sets in these folders can get messy.

First thing you'll be doing is creating the standard folder structure on your SD of course:

Code:
<SD>/pandora

<SD>/pandora/apps

<SD>/pandora/appdata/

<SD>/pandora/desktop/

<SD>/pandora/menu/

To this I add a ROMS folder structure, eg:

Code:
<SD>/pandora/roms

<SD>/pandora/roms/nes

<SD>/pandora/roms/psx

<SD>/pandora/roms/genesis

etc etc. With all your ROMs centralised outside the /appdata folders, you can swap / change / add / delete emulators at will without worrying about where your ROMs are located.

Mostly.

For the record, PCSXreARMed is what you want for PSX. Picodrive for Genesis/MD. Everything else, try all that are available, as there are often pros & cons for each option. :)
I wonder if we could use a symlink to link those folders to the default ones which emulators use?

Same for SNES (Snes9x4p or pocketsnes? Does either one play Super Mario RPG well? OR Megaman X3?

I'm playing Super Mario RPG on Snes9x4p, and enjoying it a lot. Sometimes it does slow down a little (you can notice it in the music), but then again, I'm not overclocking that at all. Consider it a recommendation.

Snes9x4D4P, by a long way, in my books. :p It's got better audio.

I've been playing Rockman X3 on it (I own the Japanese version :p ), and it works perfectly (though you may need a bit of an overclock). I can't comment on Super Mario RPG.

PS1 - rearmed or not?
PCSX-ReARMed, if you ask me, but as Craig notes, you may want to keep both handy.

I should note that there are a few games that run on neither one of them (such as Croc 2, and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne - but in fairness, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne doesn't run on anything but real hardware, generally).

I suspect picodrive is state of the art - are there even any other genesis emulators?
You suspect right. :p

Or Commodore 64?
We only have VICE, you're right on that. It works great, for the record. :D It's split into two separate PNDs: One for the C64, and one for the other classic Commodore machines, so if you're after the VIC-20 and the like, you'll want to grab both.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my shipping email earlier today.

And so now I plan to set up my SD cards so that all I'll have to do is plug them in and go. (following an appropriate charging time, of course)

But - I went to the file archive, and had no idea what emulators, for instance, are working, or the best, or what.

Specifically, if I wanted GameBoy Emulation, full speed, with (And this is the crucial part, as it gives me migraines) _no_ tearing, which one do I use?

Gnuboy or GNGB, or even GpSP? does that play Gameboy color?

PS1 - rearmed or not?

Or Commodore 64?

It comes down to this: I just don't know what is actually running the best at the moment, and would like some guidance.

If anyone can offer some, I'd appreciate it.

Congrats on your email receipt.. any chance you could post your queue position & original order date/time?

There are three versions of MAME, only two you should be concerned about. MAME4ALL has lower compatibility, but higher speed, and MAME .106 is the opposite. From what I hear, you should get both.

^ Absolutely right (although to my knowledge, there are only two MAME versions for the Pandora currently :p ). If you have anything CPS2-based, then you'll definitely need MAME 0.106 as well, but you will need to overclock for these. MAME4All runs most things up to at least CPS1 stuff very nicely indeed, with no need for overclocking.

I heard the Pandora version of GPFCE also runs well, but has some unwise decisions with the interface.

Back