GP DOOM CONTRAST PROBLEMS

FRIBBLE

Website
Visit site
When I use doom the picture is very difficult to see.The origional wads are just about playable but other wads eg ff2 are just about unplayable.Im using a flu unit and have tried using both the origional pc brightness settings and the gp enhanced one but no better either way.
Doom is my all time favourite game and I would appreciate any help or ideas any one might have.

I have the same problem, i have a non flu and the brightness is really dark, but by no means not playable, just some parts of the game are really hard to get past.

I have the same problem, i have a non flu and the brightness is really dark, but by no means not playable, just some parts of the game are really hard to get past.
I never played doom before my gp and i was havin trouble seein anyway, i was on some dark level in the car in the dark with headphones and the flu on. I was just about survivin wen sum invisible fucker killed me. confused the hell out of me! No point to this story at all actually. erm, sorry for wastin reading time...

Last edited by a moderator:
There is help!

It's not actually that difficult, but very tedious. The Doom .Wad is a big zip file with sounds, images and so on. It is possible to extract all pictures and then raise each picture by a prefixed contrast using a program like Photoshop.

There are only two problems:
It would take some time to apply the new settings to over 100 pictures and where do you put the .wad on the net without people stealing it.

The last problem is one everybody has to decide for themselves, but I guess the new "brighter" wad would be very appreciated.

How to make this task possible? Find a good Macro programmer, so that all pictures get updated automatically.
If you want I can post links to programs that unpack the wad file.

P.S. the .wad's are really interesting to unpack, as there are "unused" pictures and extras which you would never find normally.

Hmm... perhaps a solution to the distribution problem would be to get hold of a program to track changes between an original file and a new file, and create a patch file as a result to convert on into the other (needless to say, I've never heard of anything like this).

That way you would (possibly) be able to void transmitting more than the values that each byte was to be raised.

Of course, that depends on the WAD not changing size or file-order in the process...

I have taken captainfutures advice and have got a wad unpacker and will look at the possibillity of producing a version of the wad files with increased contrast.If I manage to make it work and it actually helps the problem I'll let you know.
I dont know how long this will take so bear with me.

After some hours looking at this I dont think this approach is the answer.There are thousands of files in the wads and around a thousand relate to the graphics. And each one would have to be altered individually.
Also having read the forum "DOOM WISH" also refering to this problem I don't think it would work any way. If the team that did the conversion say it's impossible to push the gamma correction any higher I'm not going to argue.

Sad really!

I remembered that there is another problem. Each texture, when placed in a map get a setting that corresponds to it's brightness. Needless to say, if the brightness is very low then even a white wall could appear very dark.
There is a very good example of what I mean in Doom1 Episode1 Level2.

hehehe :)

With a software ( map editor ) you could change contrast in each sector ( light luminosity ) ... i'm making a new version of Twilight Warrior and FF3.. what levels do you think too dark ?

Oh yeah !!!

I couldn't see enough in ff3 to finish more than the first level.I now have twilight working since I swapped to doom2 and it looks fine.What level editing software is best? I've been trying deepsea but dont know if I want to pay for the full version.

lets wait for the next version.. ;)
It should not be that hard to implent an adjustable gamma selector

Back