Gp2x Community Game Contest

This contest REALLY needs more publicity... i'm developing a game right now and if i wouldn't have looked into this thread by accident i would have missed the contest completely and probably publicated a beta version of my game in a few weeks...

for those who are interested, here is a very early pre-alpha something screenshot:

jix posted on Sep 27 2006 at 03:06 PM said:
This contest REALLY needs more publicity... i'm developing a game right now and if i wouldn't have looked into this thread by accident i would have missed the contest completely and probably publicated a beta version of my game in a few weeks...

for those who are interested, here is a very early pre-alpha something screenshot:

It looks great. Keep up the great work. I hope you enter :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When the contest rules say
All entrants must own the rights to use all media and code in the program.
does this mean that I cannot use anything that I did not create myself? Am I allowed to use sheet music (something like this: http://www.mutopiaproject.org/) to make music, as long as I make the music?

Allen Schmidt posted on Oct 2 2006 at 09:08 AM said:
When the contest rules say
All entrants must own the rights to use all media and code in the program.
does this mean that I cannot use anything that I did not create myself? Am I allowed to use sheet music (something like this: http://www.mutopiaproject.org/) to make music, as long as I make the music?
It means that you must have the full rights to use the music. Here is an example. You find the musical notes for the Mario world 1-1 theme. You record it yourself. You can't use this music as you dont have the rights to do so. Now, if you contacted the author of the music (In this case Nintendo) and asked for permission to use it, and it was allowed then go right ahead. I hope this was a good enough example. If still unclear, please dont hesitate to ask. :)

EDIT: On that site, on the top it states: All music in the Mutopia Project is free to download, print out, perform and distribute. There are now 736 pieces of music available!. So you are able to use the music.

Come on people, keep the flame running, keep on talking about this great thing!

- Alex

Alex. posted on Oct 14 2006 at 01:53 PM said:
Come on people, keep the flame running, keep on talking about this great thing!

- Alex

If we could get this on some place like slashdot I think it would really attract the notice of gp2x owners who don't always visit this one thread.

Perhaps in the wiki we can craft a story for slashdot.

Something like:
When users of the linux-based handheld game's machine the gp2x heard that the parent company gph was running a $5000 competition to encourage new games for the device, they finally thought the company was "getting" the community and it's open-source heritage. Then the rules for the competition were published, favouring closed source over open source and with restrictive IP rights.

So unhappy were the homebrew community that they organised their own competition using a website and micro-payments that is fair to both open source and closed source games.

The competition is open to everyone (except the judges) and there are two months to go!

I think a permanent spot on the frontpage of GP32X would help most. There could be a little box "Current Scene Competitions" added to the left sidebar under the menu with name, link, date and one or two short sentences for every competition. This compo is not the only one in the need for promotion, all running compos need to constantly remind people of their existence so this would probably improve the scene.

Hey Psymastr, almost time for the monthly site update :D

- Alex

:p Sorry, its just been slow. I haven't received any emails for stuff or anything, and I haven't seen Magnus around in a while, the time zone differences between me and him are quite large, but when its crunch time for the judging, we will make due. *Checks Email Box just to make sure*

YAY some donations. Im updating it now.

EDIT: done

Hey, folks! Sorry I've been gone for so long. I kind of lost touch with the forums when I went to England in september. Again, I'm sorry about that.
But now I am back, if nothing else, then at least to finish this contest! I've seen that there have been quite some donations coming in, for which I am really grateful (and I am sure the winners will be even MORE grateful! ^_^ )

What's new in the GP2X world, anyway?

Nope, not yet. No entries, not many news. Its been slow lately. Soon it will pickup as the deadline approaches :)

Nope, not yet. No entries, not many news. Its been slow lately. Soon it will pickup as the deadline approaches :)

I think it would be helpful to get on the gp32x.de front page again... Just a reminder for everyone that the deadline approaches... maybe some devs decide to enter the competition with their game they had in development without thinking of this contest... well publicity never hurts (most of the time). I'll continue to work on my game to get it done... expect a last minute entry.. there's so much left to do... :/

Well, I have enabled the file uploader (buggy, still working out the kinks) and we are getting this thing into motion. Good luck to anyone who is entering, only 2 weeks left.

Don't panic me! :D
You may or may not get and entry from me... I'm verging more on the not... I'm just swamped with coursework right now >_>
I know how you feel about course work. I'm completely overloaded as well. It should all end around december 8th, just in time for me to start judging on the 12th :)

Its alright, don't panic over this competition.

are you going to post here when something is entered? Not specific information of course but at least so we can keep a track of how many games have been entered.

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

I am transferring hosts today, so there may be a slight downtime on my server, which means no access to the community contest website. Don't worry, it is not down yet, and will be back up as soon as my new host goes through and I can transfer the domain. And if for some reason it goes down, it will be back up as soon as possible, so the latest it will be down by is maybe Wednesday.

Back