Gp2x Game Development Update

There are several PSX emulators for PDAs, which I believe also do all floating point calculations in software (correct me if I'm wrong..)

I do think PSX may be possible, but I am doubtful that it will be finished by the time the GP2X ships, and definatly not installed by default.

What about N64? Did that use floating points? I would love to see a N64 emulator for the 2X. It'd be great to be able to play Conker's Bad Fur Day or Zelda 64!

Probably not going to happen, but still.. I can dream. :)

64 emulation would be amazing, however the lack of buttons (the 64 had 9 buttons: 4 c buttons, a, b, start, L and R) would cripple a fair few games, esepcially zelda 64. Mario and goldeneye would be alright with that number of buttons though.

c0ncept posted on Sep 30 2005 at 03:03 PM said:
64 emulation would be amazing, however the lack of buttons (the 64 had 9 buttons: 4 c buttons, a, b, start, L and R) would cripple a fair few games, esepcially zelda 64. Mario and goldeneye would be alright with that number of buttons though.

Perhaps the volume buttons could be used as a and b? *shrugs*

Nice avaitar, btw. Giger is an amazing artist. :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
PSX shouldn't be a problem to get running, it took only days on the Zodiac. The more difficult thing is to get it fast. That would probably take some 1337 coding skills but it should at least be possible to get some turn based 2d games to be playable.

DaveC posted on Sep 30 2005 at 02:02 PM said:
But you don't see Dell advertizing that their computers and PDAs emulate any system. Emus are not illegal but advertizing a system on it's ability to play pirated R0Mz is kind of a dodgy practice.

I don't see a quote anywhere that includes the words "pirated R0Mz" AHHH!

DJWillis posted on Sep 30 2005 at 02:51 PM said:
Sonic-NKT posted on Sep 30 2005 at 02:05 PM said:
only thing missing for me at launch now is a scummvm port, but that should be really hard to do... :)

*cough*

If I understand that correctly, that are cool news ;)

Do you think it is possible to also play those 640x480 games like MonkeyIsland 3 on the TV, or on the display using the scaling chip?

c0ncept posted on Sep 30 2005 at 05:03 PM said:

Well, GP2X has 4 buttons, 2 shoulder buttons, start and select, plus the smal volume buttons... I don't see a problem. Same with PSX. Very fe games I remember used all of the buttons.

Though, N64 had a pad in addition to the analogue knob...

DJWillis posted on Sep 30 2005 at 04:51 PM said:
Sonic-NKT posted on Sep 30 2005 at 02:05 PM said:
only thing missing for me at launch now is a scummvm port, but that should be really hard to do... :)

*cough*

Here, have a cough-drop. :)

Franxis posted on Sep 30 2005 at 04:27 PM said:
MAME, PSX, DosBox??? xDDDDDDDD

But there is no GP2X and no SDK yet...

This is only fog...

Others then those who GPH gave certain devvers.

hmm im intrested if someone is really working on a psx emu, which emu he tries to port?
FpseCE would be the best thing, but then only LDchen could be the dev for that.
Pcsx is opensource and was ported to the zodiac, but that emu is much slower.

So does anyone know if the Gamepark Holdings company is writing any emulation software or are they simply reporting that emulation software is being worked on by third parties?

no_skill posted on Sep 30 2005 at 02:12 PM said:
//warning: unfounded assumptions ahead//

PSX
assuming the psx strongly relys on floating point operations this seems insane and out of reach.

//warning: i am a prick//

PSX at a playable speed is probably out of reach, yes. Honestly I would rather have perfect SNES.

I don't think the PSX had a FPU though. This is why it didn't do perspective correct textures (remember the twisting that occurred in textures). This was due to the imprecise nature of the integer math used. The PSX also lacked any kind of z-buffer as well resulting in polygon show-through. objects had to be subdivided to mask this. Even a flat wall was made up of many polys instead of one large one. If it was made of one large one the character would dissapear even though in front.

Cyclops posted on Sep 30 2005 at 08:01 AM said:
Dryer Lint posted on Sep 30 2005 at 01:33 PM said:
The only things that really seem quite a bit odd to me on that list are Dosbox and the PSX emu. Dosbox is crawling on my computer and I can barely run the most crappy old DOS games. I don't really expect it to work on something like the GP2X... although if all you need are CGA/EGA games without sound and with frameskip turned to 8, then it could be possible. ;-)

I think dosbox emulation anyway other than the coolness factor, is a bit of a dissapointment. With a few exceptions(most of those of those are in scummvm or id releases) are pretty poor having lived through the time when amiga/atari had games and DOS really didn't. dosbox is also a fairly messy emulator, with consoles its a simple image file, for dosbox its well DOS little files with protection on. I would like to see carmageddon on my GP2X but I can't see it being easy/fast enough for me to make the effort.

On a PC, why not just set up a VM with FreeDOS installed on it? A 486 with 8MB RAM can't be too hard on resources on most modern hardware.

I beleive this was stated in the first thread about the list that this is in fact a list of known projects being worked on. as a matter of fact I looked up info on that Naruto 3D, and apparently it's a 3D strategy game sort of like Desgaea for PS2, being worked on by a group of collage students. Which means we'll probably get a port of what ever they have done so far. (I hardly expect it to ever get finished... college students :roll: *sigh*)

i don't think the emulator actually steps on any patents which nintendo could sue the developer for, but they could legally intimidate you right into the ground which would be worse still.

bastards

since when do u$a laws affect any other country? honestly, i couldnt care less if sliced bread was patented (hell, it propably is) in usa...

Back