Gp2x Or Nintendo Ds?

You should probably buy an NDS anyway, just for the awesome commercial games. Even if you don't emulate a thing on it, im positive that there is enough other stuff out there to make it worth your purchase. Then since you already have it, get a flash cart. If you find some of the emulators lacking, pick up a GP2x.

slaanesh said:
Aside from the lack of resolution - I don't think there is much wrong with NDS emulation. Many of the emus are fun to use and in some ways better than those found on other handhelds.
Yeah the older computer stuff is better due to the DS touchscreen and it is low res to start. Of course the GP2X F200 could do just as well if the TS started to get support. Unfortunatly devs don't seem too interested in doing that.

The OP seemed to like Genesis, NeoGeo, and arcade. I still think the GP2X runs NeoGeo, Genesis/Sega CD, MAME, CPS1 and CPS2 far better than a DS. SNES is pretty even other than res and of course TurboGrafx/Turbo CD is almost perfect. If those are the main emulators I would choose a GP2X over a DS anyday. Not only is the resolution better as stated but the GP2X screen is also bigger too at 3.5" vs 3" as well. I don't know the DS never did it for me with emulators.

Last edited by a moderator:
grahf said:
Not to mention fumbling around with microsd cards. My laptop has a normal size SD slot built in, and its convenient to just pop the card in to put new games and apps on it.

The DS community is also terrible compared to the GP2x one.

I've never heard anybody complain about Micro SD cards being too small before :D. And if the DS community is bad, this place must be abysmal.

DaveC said:
I still think the GP2X runs NeoGeo, Genesis/Sega CD, MAME, CPS1 and CPS2 far better than a DS.

They may well run better on the GP2X, but there are full speed (with sound) emulators for the DS of both the Mega Drive and Neo Geo now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NesaVYWCIvA

I went from GP32 to NDS - good decision for me; lots of commercial games, GBA (some fairly good SNES ports e.g. FFVI, SFII Alpha), etc.. I was so tired of setting up each game with frameskip etc.. and the dodgy controls (no diagonals) on the GP32, that NDS was a refreshing change.. are there many emulators on GP2X that require frameskip?

Currently lovin' Phoenix Wright games.. I reckon Pandora will blow everything out of the water :D

The NDS is just an amazing machine! The most beautiful handheld ever, imo.There are commercial games to suit anyone (even my 3 year old!) and it just feels nice and easy to play.

You lot have inspired me to look at emulation on it, never tried it! Thanks!

Orkie said:
I've never heard anybody complain about Micro SD cards being too small before :D. And if the DS community is bad, this place must be abysmal.
Yeah! those stupid sleeve adapters are a pain in the ass :angry:. There is never one around when you need it. Most laptops have a built in normal SD slot these days. And this place isn't perfect, especially not these days, but its a rather helpful forum.

Orkie said:
DaveC said:
I still think the GP2X runs NeoGeo, Genesis/Sega CD, MAME, CPS1 and CPS2 far better than a DS.

They may well run better on the GP2X, but there are full speed (with sound) emulators for the DS of both the Mega Drive and Neo Geo now.

Yeah but 320 x 224 scaled down or cropped to 256 x 192 is shit. I will take it full resolution on a bigger screen, thank you.

Orkie said:

Actually most games run much worse than that, definitely not mostly fullspeed (Lordus himself has tested and told me), but it's deceptive since the ADPCM audio is emulated asynchronously with the main emulation and can go ahead of it.

I have both.

My vote for best all-rounder-emulation-system is the GP2X.

I use my ole DSphat for commercial games, and the 2X for emulation and homebrew.

This duo will do me until something new comes along that can do everything... ;o)

If you like emulation best GP2X is worlds ahead of DS on most emulators. Picodrive gives Gens on a PC a serious run for it's money. If you want to get some Brain Age or Phoenix Wright on on the DS the DS rocks. They are both awsome in different ways so it depends on you.

In my opinion this is the best time and also it is the worst time for comparing consoles. It is a massive dichotomy.

Right now for example we have the PS3 and the XBox360. Both are high powered games machines. the 360 has better online play. albeit you have to pay, but you know that you are going to get good service. Even if the people on there for the most parts are complete and utter arsewanks.

Then we get to handhelds...
Want (imho) childish games with good emulation support for old consoles/handhelds? like the split screen with touchpad? Like squinting because the screen is so damn small? get the DS.
Want complete open source console with a good fan base, new software out all the time, brilliant emulators, easy use, but little commercial effort - get the gp2x
Want a high powered handheld that has more lockdowns (even when cracked) than a chinese jail and mental asylum, but also has its own share of good emulators and homebrew, that also has one of the best screen for viewing movies and good battery life, with excellent games? get the psp
want a snazzy palmtop+ that runs linux out of the box and is fairly well powered, but you need to know some techy stuff to get things working properly? get the EEEPC

Me? personally? I bought a small laptop and put linux on it. Bigger screen, higher powered, completely open, (ok not pocket size...) loads of storage...and still cost within £30 quid of the EEEPC.
Ok, so if you want a pocket size the only options you really have IMO are the pandora or the EEEPC.

let the flamewars begin!

How are all DS games childish?

Look, I can understand if you think a game isn't fun... but all systems have their "chlidish" games. "Barney's Magical Spelling Adventure" or whatever existed long before the DS arrived. A game doesn't need guns and violence just to be fun.

Back on topic... I have the DS, GP2X and PSP and I can safely say stay far, far away from the DS if you expect a decent selection of emulators. Besides GBC, all emulators are pretty much discontinued and have so many bugs that sadly may never be complete... Each system has their strengths, and emulation is definitley NOT a strength of the DS.

Since PSP's are so locked up as of now, GP2X is the best bet if you primarily like the oldies.

If you prefer newer games, check out the DS. It really is a great system, and If you have the extra cash, a PSP is just as good.

tezcatlipoca111 said:
But will a gp2x community still exist after pandora comes out? I find difficult to imagine that people will still be interested in making things for gp2x when they will have the console they have been dreaming for so long in their hands.
Really I'm dream of XGP mini.

xgp_mini.jpg
post-1-1149238311.jpg

Pandora is a fat ugly shell-lady
Gp2x is a great thing to learn C/C++ :) and fixed point math

Emulation sucks

quasist said:
tezcatlipoca111 said:
But will a gp2x community still exist after pandora comes out? I find difficult to imagine that people will still be interested in making things for gp2x when they will have the console they have been dreaming for so long in their hands.
Really I'm dream of XGP mini.

xgp_mini.jpg
post-1-1149238311.jpg

Pandora is a fat ugly shell-lady
Gp2x is a great thing to learn C/C++ :) and fixed point math

Emulation sucks

GamePark went out of business. Sorry to spoil your day :(.

I'm personally waiting for the Pandora, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth of opinions on the DS and GP2X as well...

The GP2X has near perfect emulation of NeoGeo, NES and a few others, good support for older arcade games through MAME, a fairly competent SNES emulator and the best Genesis emulation on any platform IMHO (of course, that's ignoring the fact that 32X emulation isn't present, but SegaCD is). GB emulation is a joke, but GBA emulation has become fairly usable with the latest patch to gpsp2x. If you have a F-200, ScummVM is a really good package as well. Using standard SD cards is really nice, too. But the GP2X is lacking in terms of good controls (esp. the pad/stick seems to be a source of frustration for many GP2X owners, though I myself find it accurate enough (I have a F-100 MK2)).

The DS has an edge over the GP2X in GBA emulation since the DS can run GBA games natively at full speed - but this requires a Slot-2 backup solution. The DS has an excellent library of commercial games. Emulation and homebrew requires a flash cart (and a compatible Slot-2 expansion if you want to run GBA games), which uses MicroSD cards which can be fiddly at times. NES emulation is very good just like on the GP2X but suffers from downscaling of course. The downscaling is the biggest gripe I have about the DS, since everything but GBA and native DS games must be downscaled to fit the DS small screen(s). I find SNES and Genesis emulation lacking on the DS, mostly due to downscaling.

Bottom line: If you want a good library of commercial games, and perfect GBA compatibility, and don't mind shelling out on a good backup solution, the DS is for you. I'll probably be buying one for just these reasons (I'm still getting a Pandora, mind you). If you want NeoGeo emulation as good as it gets on a handheld, the GP2X is currently the best of the crop, but with the Pandora just around the corner promising fullspeed SNES and PSX emulation with dual analogs and a physical keyboard for easy computer emulation or on-the-go Linux computing, I'd personally wait for that one.

cappuchok said:
... GB emulation is a joke ...
How so?

GnuBoy2x's GUI was definitely clunky and a pain to use, but the emulation was pretty good.

However, Lemonboy2x solved this major gripe. The GUI is similar to other emulators, and it is a big improvement over GnuBoy2x's. It even adds quite a number of features too, and emulation is pretty good as well.

So I doubt it's a joke. :p

doc5avage said:
GamePark went out of business. Sorry to spoil your day :(.
I know it for a quite a long time (a year)
Anyway I like it's design :)

DS emulation is terrible last I checked...though the rest of the homebrew scene is fairly interesting.

A few months after I bought my GP2X, I sold my DS. If homebrew is what you want, GP2X is what you'll want. But, you may just want to wait for Pandora.

Back