Gp2x Yes Or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddo

Still Fresh
Hello,

I have a gp32 and its getting rather old and battered so I have decided to
replace it with a new machine. I want either a GP2x the new one, or a Nintendo DS.

I know the gp2x is good for emulation and thats the main reason I'm considering it, playing old games
and reading ebooks. I'm sure its good for both.

The DS, well its nice and theres some good games out for it. of course they aren't cheap.

I would like you to help me decide and I'm hoping you won't be too biased in favour of the 2x.
tbh the main thing putting me off the 2x is the new dpad. I don't like the look of it.

anyway I want a handheld console that has good games and is fun. so gp2x or DS?

thanks for any help :)

I would go with the DS and wait for the craiginator or something similar for emulation. The gp2x is nearing the end of it's life cycle, and newer better hardware for emulation will be out pretty soon.

I would vote for GP2x as YES. I have DS and I hate emulation on that machine. C64 sucks, there is lack of C+4 emulator. But have quite good games. Now new GP2x is waiting for me on the post so I'm happy. To make it clear - I've got PSP and DS for comercial games and I bought Gp2x for emulation - that's the most optimal solution for me :)

I am not sure that the community can be really helpful. As you said, GP2X and DS do two different things, both of them do it quite well.

Don't be surprised if everyone tells you to buy a DS, the main activity here these days is to denigrate GP2X.

My opinion is that you should not expect to much for the future of the GP2X. If you feel like what it has now is good enough (video player, perfect emulation of everything but SNES/GBA/PSX, good emulation of SNES, a bunch of nice homebrews), then go for it. But don't be disappointed if the activity around GP2X start slowing down in a close future. This is likely to happen.

I can't get both, I don't have the money.

Thank you for your honest opinions. its very hard to decide. if it was just games I'm sure I'd pick the DS right this moment but I'd like to be able to read ebooks. anyway thank you again

the psp slim might be the right choice for you. One device for emulation and commercial games at the same time. the pad of the psp slim is better than the f-200 pad imo. but avoid buying a psp fat, the pad is terrible.

I'm not all that up to date on the psp scene, but are all firmware revisions downgradable, last I knew (about a year ago) the newest ones couldn't be downgraded? :huh:

I gotta say go with the gp2x. You've got the combo of great homebrew games, great emulators, and some good apps as well. The game library is simply astounding on this little machine, even if no one ever makes anything else again for it. I think play-asia has them used for 130 bucks, so you can't beat the price for a base machine. All the extras can come later.

Also, I'd rather support a company that supports homebrew rather than give money to one which suppresses it.

Lurkio said:
jpic3yk said:
I'm not all that up to date on the psp scene, but are all firmware revisions downgradable, last I knew (about a year ago) the newest ones couldn't be downgraded? :huh:
Since Pandora was released yes.

Original release report

yeah the pandora battery. I was to lazy to create one for myself and I bought a set with a 1gb memory stick for USD 7 (plus shipping of about USD 10) on ebay. So, not that much, and the second memory stick is useful since the psp slim comes without. However, do not misunderstand me. If I had to chose between the gp2x and the psp slim, I would maybe go for the gp2x; just because it's not a sony. But if I am really honest, then I think the psp is even better for homebrew purposes (although the gp2x has better mame & amiga emus).

Last edited by a moderator:
GP2X. I would not trade my F100 for a DS and just ordered a new one. I think the new model will bring in some fresh blood, new breed of apps and attract even more developers. It is still the most free, open and developer friendly platform going and will likely continue to be.

My personal view on this. It's not the device (or the company) but the community that makes the console great.
On this board you have direct contact with the best devs and there are lots of nice discussions about the games we "used to play". You can play an enormous amount of games on emulators on the gp2x and there is superb homebrew. Other consoles are also fine but doesn't have the gp2x vibe.

The craigonator will be amazing after the F200, but if you like to play something new in the next few months that will be no option.

I've been pretty happy with my GP2X, so I would recommend getting one. I don't know about the F200, I guess if you're going to buy new it's the way to go. If you're considering craigix and crew's next generation homebrew handheld, you might want to save a few bucks and get an older GP2X off of eBay or something to hold you over in the meantime, but I can honestly say I've gotten my money's worth out of my 2X.

It's not without its flaws, though, so if you're the type of person who gets frustrated at the tiniest computer or other tech-related issue, you'll probably want the DS. Odds are good that if you get a GP2X, you're going to have to do some fiddling around with emulator settings or config files at some point, and if this scares you or you're the kind of person who finds the Windows start menu to be terribly complicated, you're probably going to be happier with a DS.

personally i wouldn't buy the new gp2x i would get the older version off ebay they go for around 60 to 90 quid as i am not impressed by what i have seen or heard about the f 200. as for the DS i have one myself and the games are steep but nothing a r4ds cant sort out. so my vote would go to the gp2x as it has loads more cpu power and the emus and community is great with new stuff coming out for it nearly ever week :)

Freddo said:
Hello,

I have a gp32 and its getting rather old and battered so I have decided to
replace it with a new machine. I want either a GP2x the new one, or a Nintendo DS.

I know the gp2x is good for emulation and thats the main reason I'm considering it, playing old games
and reading ebooks. I'm sure its good for both.

The DS, well its nice and theres some good games out for it. of course they aren't cheap.

I would like you to help me decide and I'm hoping you won't be too biased in favour of the 2x.
tbh the main thing putting me off the 2x is the new dpad. I don't like the look of it.

anyway I want a handheld console that has good games and is fun. so gp2x or DS?

thanks for any help :)
When it comes to ebooks, I highly recomend a ppc or a palm pilot. You can get an ipaq for less than 50 on ebay nowadays and it's much better suited for book reading than the gp2x. You can get a palm pilot for less than $20 on ebay. The ebook function is good for readme files and such, but don't sit down to a 400 page book with a gp2x.

When it comes to games, if you like the commercial games, go for the DS, if you like old school or 2D games then the gp2x is perfect. I have spent hours on the sonic games and a portable atari and nes is great. Not all the emulators are up to par though. Forget pc emulation, even the simple games don't work, GBA is a mixed bag, some games work fine other not so fine or not at all. TG16 is better on the gp32 than the gp2x, neogeo is great, amiga is a mixed bag. THe homebrewn scene is decent, but it seems to be loosing steam. Basically, if you like the gp32 you will like the gp2x, especially if you have the original gp32 and not the lighted versions. THe screen of the gp2x is awesome and 2 gig cards can be bought at walmart for $20.

Good luck.

Thanks again for all your replies.

I have decided on a DS simply because someone told me of the R4 DS that you can buy for it and use emulators and ebooks.

Thanks again, maybe I will buy a gp2x one day.

Freddo said:
Thanks again for all your replies. I have decided on a DS simply because someone told me of the R4 DS that you can buy for it and use emulators and ebooks.
Wow. Do whatever you like, of course, but that really makes no sense. You're buying a DS because you can buy a special cartridge (and memory card) that allows you to play homebrew/emus/ebooks? You realize that all you need to do those things with a GP2X is a memory card, right? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back