GP32 or pocket PC?

• Pocket PC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GP32

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shinobi00

Still Fresh
Not sure which to buy, help me out here.

Pocket PC

Pluses:
Great emulators(genesis, nes, TG-16, MSX, GB,GBC, c64)
Superb Media player - Widescreen, 25-30fps Divx and Xvid support, what more could you ask for?
Lots of commercial games and app ports like age of empires and outlook express.
Windows CE makes porting and programming an ease

Minuses:
Snes emu is hasn't been updated and the programmer is not too eager.....
Control interface is so horrible you have to spend 30-40 bucks on an extra controller
Battery life
Price: $300 for a good one

Pluses:
price: $150 at some places
movie park
great emus(nes, tg16, msx, c64, GB)
Decent Snes emulator with an eager programmer
ports of older PC games

Minuses
low bitrate in moviepark
10-15 fps in movie park
no genesis emu :(
hardly any commercial support
No signs of any kind of english launch
Horrible Tech support

Help me out here.

Tech support? We're tech support :D always on call, so I say it's damn good. plus 15 FPS isn't that bad...... Most video files are encoded in 15 FPS, you can't even notice it (it's not like 30 FPS and 60 FPS sized difference)

I have both. Basically it depends on your goals. For arcade/action/console type games, the GP32 wins. For point and click games, PocketPC wins.

Personally I play on my GP32, and use my PocketPC for PDA functions. I can still recall the pain of trying to play NES games on my PocketPC's miserable controls, and I'm not exaggerating - it was literally _painful_.

There's too many pda's, no one will ever optomize one program for an older pda, so u have to eventaully get a new pda.

its' amazing how gp32 is getting voted more, it's almost like this is a gp32 forum

... probably not the best place for a unbiased poll, really.

How good are the controller add ons for Pocket PCs? I can't see how it could fit together well to give you decent controls.

The GP32 is very much like a pocket pc except the fact that it´s built for games. So if you are planning to play games, get a GP32.

I have both.... and I think it's horses for courses.

POcket PCs are great for what they're designed for. They are, however, a bit crap as a gaming platform as the controls on them arnt designed for gaming use, and it shows.

If you DESPERATELY need the other functions of the pocket PC (i.e. outlook syncing, contacts, etc etc) then go for one, but if your main concern is gaming, then GP32 wins hands down....

Cheers

... probably not the best place for a unbiased poll, really.

How good are the controller add ons for Pocket PCs? I can't see how it could fit together well to give you decent controls.
Check out the controller here:
http://www.beinteractive.co.kr/eng/frame.a...frname=products
yes, screen in my lap gaming! <_<

and yeah, I'm only using it for gaming and media playing(mp3s videos) from time to time. I knew this place would be bias, but I just wanted an honest opinion. If I asked this on brighthand they probably would have no idea what I was talking about. And even if the did know, it would be alot more bias then it is here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hum ...
The GP32 is a console, and the PDA is a computer, so it look hard to comparate them ...
But i prefer consoles, and i love particulary the GP32, so i vote for it ;)

If only somebody would put small (ipod size) hard drive and a decent game contoller on a 400mhz Xscale PDA...

If only somebody would put small (ipod size) hard drive and a decent game contoller on a 400mhz Xscale PDA...
Now that would be bad... I don't want to buy something else, and emus would have to be re-written, some emu writers would stay at GP32 side..... Only way around this is make a GP32 emulator on it that uses EXACTLY 133MhZ of the CPU, then the rest could be used to speed t up more :p But ofcourse GeePee is slow on my P3-866 with a gr8 gfx card (gr8 about 3 years ago actually) so that weon't happen.... I hope that the gaming palm and PSP don't come out either, it would be TERRIBLE. All I want new is a GP64 that is backwards compatible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently work for a telecoms company developing PDA applications (mainly Pocket PC) and so I have access to all the latest toys. On my desk at the moment I have 2 ipaq's, 1 Jornada, and a Palm Tungsten T, and I never use any of them. The simple fact is PDA's are very good if you need PDA functions or a wireless app, but all most people want to do is play games and watch movies.

And WinCE coding being easy? I take it you've never tried coding for one before. It's a complete nightmare. Whenever a job comes in that requires a Pocket PC app I try to make sure I'm far too busy with something else :). I also know from experience that you can't break an ipaq by throwing it against a wall (I get frustrated very easily when things don't work :)), but in comparision I've never once got angry with my trusty GP32.

I haven't voted as there is no point!

For the price you will have to pay for a PDA (I've had a look at 'em.) that works well for both business/personal use, and also to be able to play the games, you are going to fork out about the same as buying a GP32 and one of the cleaper Sony Clie's...

I was looking at the top end Clie (Video!) and also some of the good Pocket PC's that can play movies, music and games... Now have (Just handhelds here) GP32, GBA and SJ30 and they were all still cheaper than the devices I was looking at getting that done it "all-in-one" - And besides, the games on the PDA's aren't all that...

Now if someone could write a PDA software for the GP32, then that would be good... However, maybe the lack of on-screen writing would make it pointless?

I still use my Psion now and again, mainly for notes/sketches. A keyboard and touchscreen are the reasons why. I never use it for games any more though. I do wish the GP had a touch screen, now iv'e got access to all those ST art packages.

Back