GPD WIN 2

And how many since the Pyra development began... ;)
These chinese guys are fast indeed, they seem to have no limits, especialy when it comes to money, I need to know that trick.
I like the design of the GPD Win 2 somehow, the metal parts make it look interesting and the idea of using it for the hinge is great. Metal Hinge but still lightweight (?) plastic case, why didn't we came with this for the Pyra. 15W TDP for the CPU sounds extreme for such an small device, that's not much for laptops but a bunch for tiny handhelds. Intels new 8xxxU mobile CPU's have 15W TDP for example.
I'm intesested about thermal solutions and how much heat/noise this thingy will produce. And of course the CPU/GPU throttling if any. At least it seems like they have included biggger exhaust holes and learned from the Win 1 thermal issues.
The screen looks glossy and the shoulderbuttons to small. But besides this, I like the overall appearence.

I think the 15W TDP was a bad transalation on my part. I think they were trying to say the cooling system could handle that much

I'm gobsmacked how quick these things come out.

But from my experience I can tell you that they don't seem to debug the system very well.
I have a 2nd generation GPD win, and still have the GPU driver crashing problems. There is a hardware fix, though to me it sounds more like a hardware hack (I think it increases power use). The new aluminum GPD win maybe have that problem fixed, but they suffer from the battery problem, and possibly others. The keyboard and pads aren't very good. Soonish the win2 will come out, I'm sure with its own little faults.

So, what's better? Is a broken GPD win in my hand worth two pyra in the bush?

i think the expression is ok-quality gpd 1 and 2 in the hand is worth many pyras turning the bush into a burning bush.

Yeah my Haswell work laptop uses a 15w chip. It blows a lot of hot air when stressed a bit. I don't imagine this being usable in a handheld. I hope they will have a way to set performance profiles as the chip would still be powerfull if limited to 5w for example.

I still have bad memories of the GPD XD's DPAD and build quality. So unless they improve a lot on the Win2, I'm not a potential buyer anyway.

The TDP Values of the m3-7Y30 listed in the Intel ark are:

TDP: 4.5W
TDP UP - 7W (at 1.6 Ghz)
TDP Down 3.45W (at 600Mhz)

So I guess at the maximum frequency of 2.6 Ghz, the TDP max raises to 15W ?

I think the CPU does support Linux out of the box but I'm not really sure, I've read it somewhere else.

Yeah, I think someone from GPD themselves mentioned that Linux support should be better. This seems to be true, as the m3 is used in much more common devices (Surface Pro, Teclast X5 Pro, ...) of which some already have much better support than the Win did at launch or even today. See here, for example: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Teclast_X5_Pro

I think the 15W TDP was a bad transalation on my part. I think they were trying to say the cooling system could handle that much
Makes alot sense, I also checked the TDP values of the CPU used and indeed it is more like 4.5W. I still hope the cooling solution cann handle this without much noise.

The TDP Values of the m3-7Y30 listed in the Intel ark are:

TDP: 4.5W
TDP UP - 7W (at 1.6 Ghz)
TDP Down 3.45W (at 600Mhz)

So I guess at the maximum frequency of 2.6 Ghz, the TDP max raises to 15W ?
I always thought, the TDP value is already the possible maximum, 4.5W in that case?

I'm a little disappointed that the screen is "720p" I was hoping for 6 inch at 1366x768 to run some old titles hard coded to 1024x768 that can't run on the Win1.

Yep, with this size of screen, I am against higher resolution as it means more work, but just reaching 768 would have been nice... Guess that's not a frequent option on phone screens...

I agree that anything higher would be too much, I wouldn't want 1080p on it, I just want to hit 768 for a few old games. 1366x768 or going 16x10 and 1280x800 would be what I'd want. At 6 inch 1366x768 would have pixels be (negligibly) larger than 1280x720 on 5.5 inch. Just measuring width to simplify it it's about 7% more pixels on an about 9% large screen.

768p is just a historical screwup really. Computers used to use 320x256 because the maps on neatly to an 80KB framebuffer (in 256 colour modes at least) which would fit neatly into RAM pages whether they were anything between 1KB and 8KB in size, and fudged the fact that led to slightly wide pixels if you stretched the image out to the edges. Nowadays RAM is throwawayably cheap at those sizes, so a few unused bytes aren't important, and a graphics subsystem can probably pack out the framebuffer with texture data and the likes these days anyway, and anyway we lost page alignment properties when monitors went widescreen on us anyway. It's more important to align with the movie studios, although I have no idea of the justification behind the numbers in 720p or 1080p.

It's a shame games out there hardcoded themselves to such numbers.

Some more WIN 2 pics

uffYd3a.jpg

WfcVzC9.jpg

dEyoaeJ.jpg

uF3GExT.jpg

l52dVYM.jpg

[doublepost=1513208083,1513206404][/doublepost]Here's that boot sequence again, on youtube which is more accessible

I like that they've been able to silkscreen the ports, something that was missed off the Pandora, and hasn't even be planned for the Pyra I don't think (although in both those cases it was more about the game buttons doubling up as home/end/pgup/dn than the sockets, and the Pyra has those squeezed on the buttons themselves).

So they've moved the L3 key, but did there used to be an R3 key as well, or am I misremembering, cos I can't find it now.

L3 and R3 are on the back as trigger buttons. They included L3 on the keyboard as according to Wade, it might come in handy there for some games.

Based on my Gpdwin I really prefer the controls the other way too...

Back