Gph About Fw3.0.0

I think they've got a little too much freedom right now

*head explodes*
What else is driving their recent decisions? Instead of using the money they have to produce revised GP2X units with some of the glaring flaws fixed (like the stick) they piss it away on poorly-made breakout boards and boxes, and a contest for software that won't bring them any revenue in the end. Someone needs to hold their leash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree that based on there recent decisions it doesn't seem possible that they actually designed a handheld gaming device. I wish craig and evildragon would buy gph.

GPH are incompetent dickheads, anyone who haven't realized that jet lives in another dimension. :)
GP32/GP2x are still good products (reference design wrapped in a handheld shell), for the 3x we will probably just have to wait till they find another cheap soc they can use :).
If it weren't for craigix and ed they would have been dead for a long time now.

Instead of using the money they have to produce revised GP2X units with some of the glaring flaws fixed (like the stick) they piss it away on poorly-made breakout boards and boxes, and a contest for software that won't bring them any revenue in the end. Someone needs to hold their leash.

They're a private company, they can make whatever decisions they want (including poor ones, of which they've made many). If you don't like them, don't buy their products. That's how markets work.

edit: If GPH do go under one day, I won't shed any tears because I'll still have my GP2X to enjoy :)

I don't really see why them going under would even change anything. It's not like they contribute to this community. It seems fairly self-sufficient to me. Well, apart from the running costs of the forum/archive.

... which aren't paid by gph but by hando and ed.
All we need gph for is providing us with new hardware to play with every now and then :)

craigix - don't you think that this firmware is a bit of setback in that the GP2X boot time was once a stick to beat it with? At the same time why don't they produce a flashy new-look thumbstick, rotated 45 degrees, back to how it was? :p

You've obviously put a fair degree of effort into this release. If I were you I'd be demanding that the boot time is sorted out. It doesn't make sense.

I understand the idea of making the GP2X more mass-marketable with a simple GUI, but the problem is that the GUI isn't the off-putting part for newbies, it's the readmes and folder structures of installing new emulators. I don't think the GP2X could ever appeal to the mass-market, and I think time should be spent catering for the likes of us, not people influenced by cosmetic changes, and purple_goat.

What the hell are they thinking?
The feature that went down best with us users was the decreased boot time and now they are taking this away?!

Are they crazy?
Why don't they actually take questions from us on what we would like to see in future decisions?
This is literally one of the worst companies I have ever seen. They should be approaching us to find out what we want to see in the next versions, it should not be the other way around!

They should stop trying to make the GP2x for some fictional consumer that doesn't actually exist and start making them for us.

We want:
+ Fast boot times.
+ A better way of installing stuff onto the GP2X. Packages? Some sort of conformity?
+ More file/codec support & generally better programs.
+ Their menu is crap compared to the gmenu2x - they should look to redo the menu more like gmenu2x but much much simpler. It shouldn't take so long to start a program, and it should be intuitive and right now it isn't at all. (Why not ask us what we want?)

Why are they wasting their resources in such a spectacular way?!

What the hell are they thinking?
The feature that went down best with us users was the decreased boot time and now they are taking this away?!

Are they crazy?
Why don't they actually take questions from us on what we would like to see in future decisions?
This is literally one of the worst companies I have ever seen. They should be approaching us to find out what we want to see in the next versions, it should not be the other way around!

They should stop trying to make the GP2x for some fictional consumer that doesn't actually exist and start making them for us.

We want:
+ Fast boot times.
+ A better way of installing stuff onto the GP2X. Packages? Some sort of conformity?
+ More file/codec support & generally better programs.
+ Their menu is crap compared to the gmenu2x - they should look to redo the menu more like gmenu2x but much much simpler. It shouldn't take so long to start a program, and it should be intuitive and right now it isn't at all. (Why not ask us what we want?)

Why are they wasting their resources in such a spectacular way?!

//signed

Oh i'm sure an unofficial fw3.0 can be released as soon as the real one is...
A lot of people seem to have missed the importance of this post Craig <_<

The Open2x project just about got to the stage where they can release a full unrestricted & openOS for the system, or did you & some of the others manage to talk GHP into giving us a little more freedom?

EDIT: And would this mean that Squidge would have the info he needs to try & finish off his GP2X emulator for the PC?

I think what Craig meant by that is, when FW 3.0.0 is actually released (even if it's just a new skin and a longer boot time), it'll probably be the year 2046.
Damn, I was getting my hopes up for no reason again :(
You'd have thought that I would have learnt by now when it comes to GPH lol.

I think it would be cool if they would link the menu selections to a folder on the root of your sd, like video would go to the folder video to look for videos. You should be able to navigate anywhere else of course, but the starting point should be in folders like that. Just would save a little time and things would be much neater on my sd :D .

Back